Notifications
Clear all

Accutane/Doxycycline

MemberMember
(@noweditorial)

Posted : 12/31/2017 3:40 am

Hello all!
I am new to this forum! So i struggle with severe cystic acne around my chin and it is slowly moving up my cheeks so the only clear part of my face is my forehead. I am currently coming to the end of my 5 months study abroad adventure which I'm not sure if that is the reason for this sudden cystic acne but it's terrible and debilitating. I am from the US but I am studying in Europe so they gave me European isotrentinoin. I was on it for about a month in a half and lost hope when it wasn't working and I was only breaking out more even at the month and a half mark. I went to my derm and told him I want to be clear before I go home in 4 weeks at least temporarily for my homecoming. He perscribed me with a European doxycycline called actidox (anyone heard of it?) so anyway I am on 2nd week of doxycycline 100 mg twice a day and no results either.. would it be bad to keep taking the doxy and the low dose of 20 mg accutane ? Should I stick out the doxy for two more weeks or just go back to accutane ?

MemberMember
(@fiksi)

Posted : 01/03/2018 4:15 pm

Hey mate,

I would avoid(iso) tane and doxy combo, as brain pressure and side effects are much more likely. Tane takes time to kick in, perhaps even 3 months...

It is likely better to ramp the antibiotic separately, which clears faster, then switch to tane for long term results.

However, I recommend avoidance of tane(iso) for anyone, be it in US, Europe, Asia, as it is a very serious drug. Hope this helps.