Notifications
Clear all

Accutane and arthritis

MemberMember
(@pulteney)

Posted : 12/20/2017 9:13 am

Hi everyone.

Background: I'm 30, have moderate acne and have been on antibiotics for around 10yrs, off and on, before finally being prescribed Accutane. I'm in my first week of it, on 20mg.

I'm curious about the links between accutane and arthritis, and would be grateful for your thoughts. I've seen lots of anecdotal evidence online (yes, I know the dangers of reading about Accutane on the net!), plus a few scientific papers / articles (no large scale studies though, mainly just a few reports of cases), and the warning on the packaging that it's a side effect experienced by less than 1 in 10,000 people.

The reason I'm curious is that both my parents have it (RA and osteo) and my grandparents had it too, so I'm at a higher risk from the off. As such, I'm starting to wonder whether taking Accutane is a silly idea - am I just trading one problem for an elevated risk of another that will even more severely affect my quality of life in future?

Any thoughts / experiences you could share with me would be gratefully received.

MemberMember
(@tryingtohelp2014)

Posted : 12/20/2017 1:22 pm

DO NOT TAKE ACCUTANE. you will 1000% have future joint problems. and they are horrific

MemberMember
(@808toms)

Posted : 12/20/2017 11:04 pm

Im 6 days in and having lots of joint popping. Not much pain yet but I wouldnt be surprised if it starts up soon. I just posted a thread for a discussion on accutanes effect on joints, check it out if you have time

MemberMember
(@pulteney)

Posted : 12/21/2017 8:23 am

Thanks both.

808toms, I just checked out your other threads and this: "But joint issues and being in pain my whole life/not being able to be active? Im not sure if thats a risk I can take." entirely sums up how I feel!

MemberMember
(@fiksi)

Posted : 12/27/2017 3:45 pm

Guys, how do you feel about long term muscle pain? Does anyone suffer from this? Then again, accutane damages both muscles and bones so it might be connected.