Notifications
Clear all

Where to start

MemberMember
(@saturn_bound)

Posted : 12/12/2017 1:41 am

Hi Everyone,

Where to begin... I am almost 30 years old and have been dealing with problematic skin for most of my life. My acne has ranged from mild to severe, and in my early twenties I began to develop cystic acne. The only acne treatments I have ever tried are topical (such as retinol) and occasionally some antibiotics. I currently suffer from only moderate acne but it can be cystic around my jawline.

i don't know where to begin with the scarring. I think I have a mix of rolling, icepick, and boxcar scars. I've researched options for years but everything from laser to subcision has such mixed reviews I'm scared to move forward... 

I just want some advice on where to start. I can't believe I've waited this long because I've been to this forum maybe 100 times to read through and look for answers. Has anyone had significant improvement with my skin type? See pictures below:

IMG_4551.JPG

IMG_4553.JPG

IMG_4555.JPG

IMG_4557.JPG

MemberMember
(@motherofms)

Posted : 12/12/2017 2:37 am

Ideally, it's best to have active acne under control before scar revision. You don't want to go through all of the effort of addressing the current scars only to have a new outbreak create new scarring. That's probably the best place to start. After it is under control, there are certainly options to address your scarring. Lots of folks here will have suggestions for you. Good job doing your research and being proactive. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@saturn_bound)

Posted : 12/12/2017 10:59 am

I should mention break outs are actually pretty mild and controllable at this point.

MemberMember
(@saturn_bound)

Posted : 12/12/2017 1:21 pm

Thanks for all this info! I think I prefer to take the professional route as I would be hesitant to do at home treatments and accidentally use the wrong size needle or apply it incorrectly.

Based on the severity of my scars whatwould would the cost estimate be for subcision + filler + micro needling?

MemberMember
(@petsme)

Posted : 12/12/2017 1:35 pm

It really depends where you go. Filler is notoriously expensive and subcision should be cheap (200 to morethan 500.) Please consider microneedling at home with a dermastamp, treatments at a clinic would be 350+ and you'dneed MANY (over 6, with peels as well.) You should honestly do RF microneedling which is usually over 1000, but will save money in the long run. Normal microneedling is so slow that it's almost useless ALONE

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 12/12/2017 2:30 pm

You don't need filler, you have surface scars. The biggest bang for your buck is to start with subcision

I can give you a plan PM me.

MemberMember
(@saturn_bound)

Posted : 12/13/2017 1:31 am

10 hours ago, beautifulambition said:

You don't need filler, you have surface scars. The biggest bang for your buck is to start with Nokor subcision ( you will need 3 of them) and have the dr do saline injections afterwards (if they offer this) and do chinese cupping (Amazon) for several weeks after. Infini or RF microneedling will also help you ... there are many brands (3 are needed). TCA Cross for your ice pics and ... Finally Acid peels like TCA from a med spa or Derm (you will need several of these). OR you can get profractional done instead which is laser. You say you want to be treated by a DR so prices vary by country they could be 3-$6000, also if you do your own peels the price is cheaper. Remember scars take time, often 3 years of treatments, you want healing time between the things you do, don't rush.

Thanks for the detailed information! I am interested in starting in starting with the subcision in the early new year. Do you have a dermatologist recommendation for subcision in the Los Angeles area?

As for the infini and RF micro needling several months down the line, before or after the subsicion?

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 12/13/2017 3:46 pm

Dr Rullan in San Diego is your best bet.

I would do it def (Infini / Vivance / Intracel / Secret / etc...) After a session or two of subcision. You probably can find this locally in a med spa as well. Dr Rullan is a expert with your skin type (and darker skin types) acid peels / deep sedated peels once you do all of this to even out the texture for your peel phase of treatment lastly.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 12/13/2017 6:02 pm

So you think one should subsice first then rf needling afterwards   ba?
:)

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 12/13/2017 6:24 pm

@QuadboyYes ;-P with recent data coming out that the filler is not effected.... (if done with subcision), the data showed stimulation of further collagen production - RF Microneedling. It really does not matter in the order.

I typically have people mix it up a little bit. Start out with Either Infini or Subcision (they can get filler or wait on the filler / or Chinese Cupping). It does not have to be 3 infini and then 3 subcsions. One can do mix them accordingly when they have time and the budget. Filler can last with subcision for over a year, in that case they would not need a top up or subcision until needed and do Infini in the mean time and some peel /TCA cross work. Budget wise I also realized that subcision with cupping is cheapest if they need to save up for Infini which can be a few thousand, lucky Europeans get it in some places for 300 Euro - Intracel Germany.

The biggest take away is wait between treatments if you can, I wait 3 months. You can reevaluate ;-P and see what is necessary.

I still do top ups with subcision and filler when necessary (subcision simply means to make a pocket or space for the filler).