Notifications
Clear all

Hormonal acne female

MemberMember
(@valerie22)

Posted : 11/27/2017 7:47 pm

I suffer from pcos and eat an extremely clean diet, I have had occasional cheat days but for a few weeks now I haven't cheated at all and my face actually looks worse and I'm losing weight fast although I'm already thin and I've read online that losing weight can actually effect your hormones and lose your period, Im just so confused and lost right now. Im on accutane 10mg its day 25 but my face is still horrible. I take vitamin d and saw palmetto and eat no dairy, no sugar, stick to under 50g of carbs a day, only water, and tons of veggies and limited fruit. Just wondering if anyones experienced the same thing or what they did to balance their hormones xx

MemberMember
(@moon33)

Posted : 11/28/2017 2:36 am

The only thing that worked for my hormones are anti androgens, mainly Androcur. I was on Diane 35 and Androcur for 6 years and they kept my skin COMPLETELY clear, even on the most humid weather when i would be normally covered in zits. I once tried stopping Androcur and using only Diane 35 but the acne came back. So for me Androcur + Diane 35 was the only thing that worked. The only thing that made me breakout during the 6 years i took those pills was when i bought mac foundation...i guess my skin reacted to one of the ingredients.

But now that i've stopped both i'm back to square one 😡

The thing with those pills is, when you stop them, your back as you were, unless i guess, your hormones calmed themselves as the years passed, which is not my case.

MemberMember
(@valerie22)

Posted : 11/29/2017 11:59 am

On 2017-11-28 at 2:36 AM, moon33 said:

The only thing that worked for my hormones are anti androgens, mainly Androcur. I was on Diane 35 and Androcur for 6 years and they kept my skin COMPLETELY clear, even on the most humid weather when i would be normally covered in zits. I once tried stopping Androcur and using only Diane 35 but the acne came back. So for me Androcur + Diane 35 was the only thing that worked. The only thing that made me breakout during the 6 years i took those pills was when i bought mac foundation...i guess my skin reacted to one of the ingredients.

But now that i've stopped both  i'm back to square one 😡 

The thing with those pills is, when you stop them, your back as you were, unless i guess, your hormones calmed themselves as the years passed, which is not my case.

Thanks for the reply! I ordered DIM off Amazon by natures way yesterday. Have you tried it? I've read plenty of great reviews about it and its natural and not harmful like long term bc can be. It just sucks because I've read success stories about eating low carb for hormone balancing but my face just keeps getting worse! So frustrating! I will keep you posted when I get the DIM and let you know if it works for me :) Theres also estroblock and other supplements I am going to start with DIM 

MemberMember
(@moon33)

Posted : 11/29/2017 10:59 pm

Oh! i never heard of those, i'm gonna read about them.

Right now I'm trying to reduce the testosterone with saw palmetto and pumpkin seed oil, i take the webber naturals supplement called "super prostate". It's aimed at men with enlarged prostate -_- but it's got 320mg of saw palmetto, 480mg of pumpkin seed oil and zinc (i'm taking 2 pills a day, gonna do that for 2 weeks than see from there if i reduce). It's too soon to see any improvment but i'm hopefull. I'm also using otc benzoyl peroxyde 5%.  I never thought i'd be buying acne product at my age lol... oh well.  

Is it humid where you live? I know my acne always gets worse in humid or warm weather.
But don't worry, you"re on Accutane so you should see improvement sooner or later. One of my friends took it when we were in highschool and she had really, really bad acne, way worse than me, but it completely cleared her up.  I hope it will be the same for you :)  I read on the internet it can take a while before showing results, up to 6 months, so hang in there.

MemberMember
(@valerie22)

Posted : 11/30/2017 12:10 am

Not at all, Im from Canada so its quite cold and dry. I take vitamin D already since summers over. I just had my accutane upped to 30mg so hopefully results will be faster. I hope you find a cure soon :)

MemberMember
(@honeyginseng)

Posted : 11/30/2017 3:30 am

On 11/27/2017 at 4:47 PM, Valerie22 said:

I suffer from pcos and eat an extremely clean diet, I have had occasional cheat days but for a few weeks now I haven't cheated at all and my face actually looks worse and I'm losing weight fast although I'm already thin and I've read online that losing weight can actually effect your hormones and lose your period, Im just so confused and lost right now. Im on accutane 10mg its day 25 but my face is still horrible. I take vitamin d and saw palmetto and eat no dairy, no sugar, stick to under 50g of carbs a day, only water, and tons of veggies and limited fruit. Just wondering if anyones experienced the same thing or what they did to balance their hormones xx

I was on Accutane twice before and it actually didn't help me that much, my acne just came back still. But I hope it works for you!
And good work on eating so clean! It's so hard for me. But I definitely do find that once I have some soy products or dairy, I tend to breakout alot in my chin area. I take L-Lysine to balance my hormones and it's helped alot so far, especially during that time of the month. There's research which indicates that L-Lysine helps you to absorb magnesium and iron (I believe?) better and it also balances your androgens that cause acne to flare. Hope that helps!

Valerie22 liked