Notifications
Clear all

An impossible accutane case!

MemberMember
(@ninamachiavelli)

Posted : 11/27/2017 7:15 pm

I'm fully aware that most accutane cases are unique, difficult and tough to go through, but if anyone out there could help me with this one... I will be forever grateful.

Some backround story:
My acne problem started when I was on exchange in a foreign, and fairly unhealthy and humid country. By skin became swollen, infected and I was basically a pimple with a face on it. At some point people even yelled "Go wash your face!" at me. Anyways.
I went to a dermatologist in May, that put me on accutane AND predisone. She put me on 40 mg of accutane per day, but one week before I stared taking it she put me on 20 mg prednisone for 2 weeks. She never gave me any information to step the mg down, and my acne reeeally broke out. Then I took antibiotics... then I was put on prednisone again... and then I came back home, quit predisone (stepped it down this time), and by skin went back to inferno again.

I almost died taking this treatment.Okay, I might be a little dramatic. In August I was sent to emergency due to a swollen eye and swollen throat. I though this was because of some infection but no - accutane. The dermatologist told me that my immune system was so low that if I got a cold during those days, I would be hospitalized. I also started seeing a psychiatrist due to my now much worse depression.

I believe the prednisone has ruined this treatment (or my life, if I shall be the dramatic acne patient that I am). Every time I quit prednisone my acne inflames, but at the same time I cannot use prednisone forever.
My skin has improved a little since I started taking accutane, but I'm not sure if it will ever help me get healthy. I still get cyst, some of them take weeks, if not months to leave, and are filled with blood and pain.

That's why I am thinking of taking Diane 35 combined with Accutane. Or maybe just quit taking it? The side effects are horrible. Maybe there actually is a hormonal underlying problem. I really don't know what to do anymore. Does somebody intelligent on acne.org have a good idea to what may happen if I take Diane 35 on Accutane?
Some may feel like refer me to a dermatologist, and I have already been there. I live in a small town with poor medical help, and my former dermatologist replied "Yeah, just try it out" when I asked her on a text message. I still feel a little nervous about it though.

If I do get replies on this topic, I may submit photos of my acne if that is of help.

Help me please.

- Nina (18)

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 12/13/2017 11:20 am

I'm sorry that no one has replied to your post before now. And I'm sorry that I don't have a concrete answer regarding Diane 35 and Accutane being used together.

I can tell you that my body didn't accept Accutane on the lowest possible dose, which I took for two whoppin' days about 22 years ago. (My derm. told me to stop taking Accutane immediately, due to my unusual side effect.)

I took prescription birth control--several different brands--for 18 years and stopped taking it 13 months ago due to other health concerns.

My advice would be to not take the two together unless/until you get a more confident answer from a professional. (NOTE: Pharmacists know more about drug interactions than to doctors; so I suggest talking to one about your concerns about a negative Diane 35 - Accutane interaction.)

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you get useful info. that helps you in the treatment of your skin. Please, keep me posted.

PI