Notifications
Clear all

Bad Dermatologist Experience

MemberMember
(@willajayne)

Posted : 11/24/2017 11:05 am

Hi!
I am fifteen and I've been struggling with mild to moderate acne on my face and back since I was twelve. About two months ago I went to a dermatologist near where I live and had a pretty bad experience. The derm didn't even look at my skin or ask questions about it. She just shoved a bunch of prescription meds in my face and I left prescribed Epiduo Forte, and spironaldactone. I used the Epiduo for four weeks and it made my acne way worse than it had ever been before. I normally only broke out on my chin and around my mouth but my entire face was broken out by the end of the month. I ended up not taking the spiro and was prescribed a birth control so I have been taking that too. I decided to stop taking the Epiduo so I went back to my old routine. My skin has improved slightly, but is still very broken out. I don't know if I should go back to the Epiduo, keep hoping for the best, or see another dermatologist. I just am not sure what to do at this point, and my self esteem is at an all time low. Help!!

MemberMember
(@valerie22)

Posted : 11/24/2017 7:47 pm

8 hours ago, willajayne said:

Hi!
I am fifteen and I've been struggling with mild to moderate acne on my face and back since I was twelve. About two months ago I went to a dermatologist near where I live and had a pretty bad experience. The derm didn't even look at my skin or ask questions about it. She just shoved a bunch of prescription meds in my face and I left prescribed Epiduo Forte, and spironaldactone. I used the Epiduo for four weeks and it made my acne way worse than it had ever been before. I normally only broke out on my chin and around my mouth but my entire face was broken out by the end of the month. I ended up not taking the spiro and was prescribed a birth control so I have been taking that too. I decided to stop taking the Epiduo so I went back to my old routine. My skin has improved slightly, but is still very broken out. I don't know if I should go back to the Epiduo, keep hoping for the best, or see another dermatologist. I just am not sure what to do at this point, and my self esteem is at an all time low. Help!!

I started to get acne at age 12 as well. It sucks for sure! Id recommend seeing another dermatologist. Its mostly likely hormonal so maybe you can try BC, such as yaz is supposed to help. Also, what kind of diet do you eat? Id avoid antibiotics at all costs but I've read Spiro has helped many people, you may have to give it more time. I for sure think you should see another derm and if it really bugs you, you can ask for accutane. I know the struggle I'm currently on accutane. xx

MemberMember
(@willajayne)

Posted : 11/25/2017 10:25 pm

Thanks so much for responding! I have decided to give the Epiduo another try and I have been on the pill for almost a month so hopefully I will start seeing results in another month or two. I also talked to my mom about seeing another derm and she said I could.

MemberMember
(@tania-crowe)

Posted : 11/26/2017 2:01 am

I think you should see a qualified dermatologist but I suggest using a moisturizer first, then a tiny application of Epiduo. The best way to use Epiduo is to start slowly, say once every second day, then increase accordingly. Some patients, especially with sensitive skin cannot tolerate this medication and will need to go with a milder Vitamin A combination.

MemberMember
(@eternalrocket)

Posted : 11/26/2017 3:43 am

Epiduo did the same thing to me, after a month I realized that it was too strong for me so than I only applied epiduo for half an hour and then washed it off,..worked perfectly fine after that