Notifications
Clear all

Help-Acne still after going Vegan

MemberMember
(@aepinkman8)

Posted : 11/23/2017 6:53 am

Hi guys! I am really at my wits end with acne, and have come here hoping someone will be able to help.
Okay, here goes...
I have had acne since I was nine, and Im now sixteen. I was vegetarian from age 13-15. I have been vegan since I was 15, and still am. I know that it will take a while, and I dont expect acne to go away in an hour, but I really need help.
I have managed to control my chest and back acne to the point of still being clear there, except the odd pimple at my period. I have never had serious temple, jawline, or chin acne...Again, flare ups around my period and then theyre gone.
I have cleared my forehead acne just recently, and am finally happy with it.
But I am still trying to rid Cheek acne that has never went again. It is seriously bringing me Down, and I dont know how much longer I can handle feeling like this.

I need help with red marks that wont fade on my cheeks. I have never picked a pimple, unless its a painful one on my back that actually goes away after popping. So I am confused about why the pimples are leaving marks. And also, my temples are slowly starting to bring acne, and its not near my period. Could it possibly be stress or an irregular sleep schedule? Or my diet?
Mentioning that, I have irregular unpainful periods.

Anyways, I am extremely sick of this. I am awaiting an appointment with the dermatologist after not being there since 2014, when he decided it wasnt bad enough to treat and I am still stuck using Benzoyl Peroxide since that day.
I will post pictures, and my diet if someone answers. I do not cheat whatsoever- I dont occasionally have a pizza or a Chinese or even chocolate or crisps. I eat vegetables every day, along with sweet potato, and only drink water and homemade green smoothies. I will send you a full duet breakdown if someone answers. I am thinking of trying eggs again, because my doctor believes I am lacking, despite blood tests being perfect.

He also wonders if my weight could be making my skin worse- I have been 5 stone since last year, but I am not even 5ft. My parents were also extremely slim at my age (they still are) and obesity has never been a problem in my family, as has acne. My parents have never had acne, but my dad does suffer From psoriasis.
I also havent woremakeup in almost two years.

MemberMember
(@valerie22)

Posted : 11/23/2017 11:31 am

4 hours ago, AEPinkman8 said:

Hi guys! I am really at my wits end with acne, and have come here hoping someone will be able to help. 
Okay, here goes...
I have had acne since I was nine, and I™m now sixteen. I was vegetarian from age 13-15. I have been vegan since I was 15, and still am. I know that it will take a while, and I don™t expect acne to go away in an hour, but I really need help.
I have managed to control my chest and back acne to the point of still being clear there, except the odd pimple at my period.  I have never had serious temple, jawline, or chin acne...Again, flare ups around my period and then they™re gone.
I have cleared my forehead acne just recently, and am finally happy with it.
But I am still trying to rid Cheek acne that has never went again. It is seriously bringing me Down, and I don™t know how much longer I can handle feeling like this.

I need help with red marks that won™t fade on my cheeks. I have never picked a pimple, unless it™s a painful one on my back that actually goes away after popping. So I am confused about why the pimples are leaving marks. And also, my temples are slowly starting to bring acne, and it™s not near my period. Could it possibly be stress or an irregular sleep schedule? Or my diet? 
 Mentioning that, I have irregular unpainful periods.

Anyways, I am extremely sick of this. I am awaiting an appointment with the dermatologist after not being there since 2014, when he decided it wasn™t bad enough to treat and I am still stuck using Benzoyl Peroxide since that day. 
I will post pictures, and my diet if someone answers. I do not cheat whatsoever- I don™t occasionally have a pizza or a Chinese or even chocolate or crisps. I eat vegetables every day, along with sweet potato, and only drink water and homemade green smoothies. I will send you a full duet breakdown if someone answers. I am thinking of trying eggs again, because my doctor believes I am lacking, despite blood tests being perfect.

He also wonders if my weight could be making my skin worse- I have been 5 stone since last year, but I am not even 5ft. My parents were also extremely slim at my age (they still are) and obesity has never been a problem in my family, as has acne. My parents have never had acne, but my dad does suffer From psoriasis. 
I also haven™t wore makeup in almost two years. 

usually cheek acne is hormonal and irregular periods could mean you have pcos or a bad hormonal imbalance. You could be deficient in vitamin d, do you go in the sun a lot? Hormonal imbalances can be caused by lack of vitamin d. Do you eat a lot of carbs? Such as pasta, bread? Those can raise hormones. Im also on the same page, I do eat meat just organic chicken and salmon. I also eat lots of veggies, fruit and sweet potatoes and I don't see it helping much. I know how frustrating it is. Im on accutane now because after eating so healthy I just got so frustrated but I hope I can help you. :) And yes being underweight can forsure cause you to lose your period which could cause your hormones to go crazy and cause acne as well

MemberMember
(@dermagreens)

Posted : 11/24/2017 11:44 am

Hi  :)
I noticed your post and thought I'd try to help. First thing I want to say is, you've made the right decision by becoming vegan. That is definitely a step in the right direction, as dairy can be a leading cause of acne.  I  a few questions if you don't mind , just to help me get a clearer picture.
How long have you been vegan? 
Do you eat vegan processed foods (i.e. vegan cheese, vegan meat substitutes, refined oils, etc.) I know you mentioned you don't cheat, but is there any percentage of fried vegan foods or refined vegan foods in your diet? 
Are you eating a enough of a wide variety of whole foods daily (leafy greens, vegetables, fruits, legumes, and unrefined whole grains? Getting proper caloric intake is so important for vegan's
What products are you using on your face?
Are you currently taking any medications?

The red marks that you don't seem to disappear , could they be scars? 
Could the inflammation on your cheeks be Rosacea?
What is your daily intake of high glycemic/refined/simple carbohydrates (sugar, white pasta, white bread, buns, white potatoes, white rice)?
Cheek acne could be  liver, kidneys, colon, stomach, or lung issues - do you smoke or consume alcohol? You may want to consider a detox, I can suggest some if you're interested 

Natasha :)

MemberMember
(@username110)

Posted : 11/25/2017 8:08 am

20 hours ago, Beauty-Greens said:

i agree, sometimes its very easy to mistake scars/post acne marks for active acne.-scars/post acne needs to be treated completely differently than spots.

MemberMember
(@aepinkman8)

Posted : 12/06/2017 5:14 am

On 23/11/2017 at 4:31 PM, Valerie22 said:
usually cheek acne is hormonal and irregular periods could mean you have pcos or a bad hormonal imbalance. You could be deficient in vitamin d, do you go in the sun a lot? Hormonal imbalances can be caused by lack of vitamin d. Do you eat a lot of carbs? Such as pasta, bread? Those can raise hormones. Im also on the same page, I do eat meat just organic chicken and salmon. I also eat lots of veggies, fruit and sweet potatoes and I don't see it helping much. I know how frustrating it is. Im on accutane now because after eating so healthy I just got so frustrated but I hope I can help you. :) And yes being underweight can forsure cause you to lose your period which could cause your hormones to go crazy and cause acne as well

Hello. It is hard to get sun at all in Scotland...And okay, I will post my diet.

breakfast:hummus with gluten, wheat, egg, and dairy free bread. (2 slice) carrot and cucumber chopped up. Then green smoothie-water, cucumber, pear, spinach, coconut olive, and courgette.
lunch:same bread with hummus, cucumber and carrot.
dinner:boiled sweet potato with salad, then carrot and cucumber after.
 I do not eat any fruit cause it makes my acne worse,  I do not any any pasta or carbs except the bread.
i do not suffer from bad chin or jawline acne,  and my temples rarely have acne unless I™m under severe stress (exams, ectra...The acne I had  on my temples  clearing up, and it™s normal for it to happen there once In a while)
no forehead acne and I am clear on my body, too.
i only have three to four slices of the bread a day, it it is free from everything. No other carbs, only one sweet potato a day. Sometimes two if it is small.

Thank you so much for answering, and I am sorry for taking so long to answer. I hope you can still answer...

i have added one one free-range egg a day, scrambeled with nothing added...Could that benefit me?

On 24/11/2017 at 4:44 PM, DermaGreens said:

Hi  :)
I noticed your post and thought I'd try to help. First thing I want to say is, you've made the right decision by becoming vegan. That is definitely a step in the right direction, as dairy can be a leading cause of acne.  I  a few questions if you don't mind , just to help me get a clearer picture.
How long have you been vegan? 
Do you eat vegan processed foods (i.e. vegan cheese, vegan meat substitutes, refined oils, etc.) I know you mentioned you don't cheat, but is there any percentage of fried vegan foods or refined vegan foods in your diet? 
Are you eating a enough of a wide variety of whole foods daily (leafy greens, vegetables, fruits, legumes, and unrefined whole grains? Getting proper caloric intake is so important for vegan's
What products are you using on your face?
Are you currently taking any medications?

Could the inflammation on your cheeks be Rosacea?
What is your daily intake of high glycemic/refined/simple carbohydrates (sugar, white pasta, white bread, buns, white potatoes, white rice)?
Cheek acne could be  liver, kidneys, colon, stomach, or lung issues - do you smoke or consume alcohol? You may want to consider a detox, I can suggest some if you're interested 

Natasha :)

Okay, thank god someone is agreeing with me for going vegan!!!!

i do not eat whitefood whatsoever. No sugar such as chocolates or crisps or fast food, no white bread or pasta or or rice.
First of all, I have been vegan since late December last year. But I was still was still eating products containing gluten like whole meal bread and quorn. I haven™t been a full vegan until September. I was eating vegan cheese but recently stopped it. Violife. And I was Eating BFree pitta breads with the cheese but I stopped a  week ago. Do you suggest I should try adding it back into my diet? 

i used to eat free from egg, dairy, wheat and gluten pasta but I haven™t ate it it months. Not since May. I haven™t ate Quorn since Seotember.

I do not cheat whatsoever. There  no fried foods at all in my diet. This is what I eat everyday.
Breakfast:two slices of wheat, gluten, dairy, and egg free bread with hummus. Carrot and cucumber chopped on the side. Then green smoothie:water, spinach, pear, courgette, cucumber, and coconut oil.
lunch:same bread (two slices) with hummus, carrot, and cucumber. Salad often too.
dinner:boiled sweet potato with salad. Carrot and cucumber followed.

i recently added one scrambeled eggs day, nothing added, to my breakfast and an apple a day. Should I continue this? I think. I might  stop the apple, but I could just be paranoid.

I only use benzoyl peroxide 2.5 on my face and body, once at night. Not on the red marks. I used to exfoliate but after stopped it cleared up at chin, temples,  forehead.

the red marks have been said to not be scars from four different doctors. Should I post a picture to help you visualise? Xxx

No I have never smoked or touched alcohol in my life. Nor drugs or anything else as such. My parents do not either.

I take vegan supplements from Holland and Barrett.
I have recently started putting  cucumber slices on the marks in hope they would fade mark . Fifteen minutes each day.  The doctor believes it will help, and i did do it in the past  and saw improvement.
Could you suggest the detoxes you are thinking of? That would be helpful.

Thank you for answering. Sorry I took so long to answer. Hope you are still active to answer.

On 25/11/2017 at 1:08 PM, MrBakery said:
i agree, sometimes its very easy to mistake scars/post acne marks for active acne.-scars/post acne needs to be treated completely differently than spots. 

Yes, I do treat them differently. My cheeks are completely spot free, which makes me even more annoyed because I would finally be clear on my cheeks if it weren™t for the marks.

Four different doctors have told me the marks are not scars and are not going to scar. Should I post pictures to help?
 The marks are flat and dark pink, and when the skin is stretched they fade slightly. They are completely flat, not indebted. I will post pictures if you want, and there is two in my left cheek that look more like blackheads...

MemberMember
(@valerie22)

Posted : 12/06/2017 11:08 pm

17 hours ago, AEPinkman8 said:
Hello. It is hard to get sun at all in Scotland...And okay, I will post my diet.

breakfast:hummus with gluten, wheat, egg, and dairy free bread. (2 slice) carrot and cucumber chopped up. Then green smoothie-water, cucumber, pear, spinach, coconut olive, and courgette.
lunch:same bread with hummus, cucumber and carrot.
dinner:boiled sweet potato with salad, then carrot and cucumber after.
 I do not eat any fruit cause it makes my acne worse,  I do not any any pasta or carbs except the bread.
i do not suffer from bad chin or jawline acne,  and my temples rarely have acne unless I™m under severe stress (exams, ectra...The acne I had  on my temples  clearing up, and it™s normal for it to happen there once In a while)
no forehead acne and I am clear on my body, too.
i only have three to four slices of the bread a day, it it is free from everything. No other carbs, only one sweet potato a day. Sometimes two if it is small.

Thank you so much for answering, and I am sorry for taking so long to answer. I hope you can still answer...

i have added one one free-range egg a day, scrambeled with nothing added...Could that benefit me?
  Okay, thank god someone is agreeing with me for going vegan!!!!

i do not eat whitefood whatsoever. No sugar such as chocolates or crisps or fast food, no white bread or pasta or or rice.
First of all, I have been vegan since late December last year. But I was still was still eating products containing gluten like whole meal bread and quorn. I haven™t been a full vegan until September. I was eating vegan cheese but recently stopped it. Violife. And I was Eating BFree pitta breads with the cheese but I stopped a  week ago. Do you suggest I should try adding it back into my diet? 

i used to eat free from egg, dairy, wheat and gluten pasta but I haven™t ate it it months. Not since May. I haven™t ate Quorn since Seotember.

I do not cheat whatsoever. There  no fried foods at all in my diet. This is what I eat everyday.
Breakfast:two slices of wheat, gluten, dairy, and egg free bread with hummus. Carrot and cucumber chopped on the side. Then green smoothie:water, spinach, pear, courgette, cucumber, and coconut oil.
lunch:same bread (two slices) with hummus, carrot, and cucumber. Salad often too.
dinner:boiled sweet potato with salad. Carrot and cucumber followed.

i recently added one scrambeled eggs day, nothing added, to my breakfast and an apple a day. Should I continue this? I think. I might  stop the apple, but I could just be paranoid.

I only use benzoyl peroxide 2.5 on my face and body, once at night. Not on the red marks. I used to exfoliate but after stopped it cleared up at chin, temples,  forehead.

the red marks have been said to not be scars from four different doctors. Should I post a picture to help you visualise? Xxx

No I have never smoked or touched alcohol in my life. Nor drugs or anything else as such. My parents do not either.

I take vegan supplements from Holland and Barrett.
I have recently started putting  cucumber slices on the marks in hope they would fade mark . Fifteen minutes each day.  The doctor believes it will help, and i did do it in the past  and saw improvement.
Could you suggest the detoxes you are thinking of? That would be helpful.

Thank you for answering. Sorry I took so long to answer. Hope you are still active to answer. Yes, I do treat them differently. My cheeks are completely spot free, which makes me even more annoyed because I would finally be clear on my cheeks if it weren™t for the marks.

Four different doctors have told me the marks are not scars and are not going to scar. Should I post pictures to help?
 The marks are flat and dark pink, and when the skin is stretched they fade slightly. They are completely flat, not indebted. I will post pictures if you want, and there is two in my left cheek that look more like blackheads...

I would for sure start taking vitamin d or get your level checked, it can be extremely helpful for many people as well as zinc :) your diet seems pretty good and I know how frustrating it is for a clean diet not to help! Just keep eating healthy for your body and its good habit to have regardless. You could also try jojoba oil it works wonders on my previous break out marks

MemberMember
(@aepinkman8)

Posted : 12/07/2017 1:27 am

2 hours ago, Valerie22 said:
I would for sure start taking vitamin d or get your level checked, it can be extremely helpful for many people as well as zinc :) your diet seems pretty good and I know how frustrating it is for a clean diet not to help! Just keep eating healthy for your body and its good habit to have regardless. You could also try jojoba oil it works wonders on my previous break out marks

Thank you for your suggestions, it I do take vitamin D supplement. They are in the Holland and Barrett vegan supplements. Do you think taking Vitamin D one would help? Okay, thank you about my diet. I have heard of jojoba oil before but I am terrified to use it because I had a terrible breakout oil with both Bio Oil, Apple Cider Vinegar, and putting Vitamin C oil into my skin. Did your skin get worse when you used it?
And I know a lot of people ask this, but would it make my already oily skin more oily? My diet has taken my oily skin away quite dramatically, and I don™t really want it to come back. But I wil anything to help my marks. Do you want pictures sent?

MemberMember
(@username110)

Posted : 12/07/2017 1:30 pm

if your not getting enough sun, taking vitamin d3 would help.

vitabiotics d3 is quite good.

MemberMember
(@valerie22)

Posted : 12/07/2017 5:25 pm

15 hours ago, AEPinkman8 said:
Thank you for your suggestions, it I do take vitamin D supplement. They are in the Holland and Barrett vegan supplements. Do you think taking Vitamin D one would help? Okay, thank you about my diet. I have heard of jojoba oil before but I am terrified to use it because I had a terrible breakout oil with both Bio Oil, Apple Cider Vinegar, and putting Vitamin C oil into my skin. Did your skin get worse when you used it?
And I know a lot of people ask this, but would it make my already oily skin more oily? My diet has taken my oily skin away quite dramatically, and I dont really want it to come back. But I wil anything to help my marks. Do you want pictures sent?

I only put it where my previous breakouts have been, but I've put it all over my face sometimes and it didn't break me out or give me an IB. And it absorbs well on my skin, If you're going to try it you could just test on a certain area of your face and see :). I've read very good reviews from other people as well. My diet also helps my oily skin so I think you will be safe. xx

MemberMember
(@aepinkman8)

Posted : 12/08/2017 3:19 am

9 hours ago, Valerie22 said:
On 07/12/2017 at 6:27 AM, AEPinkman8 said:
And I know a lot of people ask this, but would it make my already oily skin more oily? My diet has taken my oily skin away quite dramatically, and I dont really want it to come back. But I wil anything to help my marks. Do you want pictures sent?

I only put it where my previous breakouts have been, but I've put it all over my face sometimes and it didn't break me out or give me an IB. And it absorbs well on my skin, If you're going to try it you could just test on a certain area of your face and see :). I've read very good reviews from other people as well. My diet also helps my oily skin so I think you will be safe. xx

Okay thank you! Do you suggest any food that has helped you? Any that has calmed your skin down?

13 hours ago, MrBakery said:

if your not getting enough sun, taking vitamin d3 would help.

vitabiotics d3 is quite good.

Okay, thank you. I will check it out! Do you suggest any food that may help heal my skin that I am not eating already? I am up for suggestions!

MemberMember
(@valerie22)

Posted : 12/08/2017 3:39 pm

safe foods would be salmon, spinach, kale, chia seed, flaxseed, sweet potato :) they were all known to fight acne

MemberMember
(@username110)

Posted : 12/08/2017 4:56 pm

some people recommend vitamin c to help with skin healing.

MemberMember
(@aepinkman8)

Posted : 12/09/2017 2:27 am

10 hours ago, Valerie22 said:

safe foods would be salmon, spinach, kale, chia seed, flaxseed, sweet potato :) they were all known to fight acne

10 hours ago, Valerie22 said:

I™m so sorry, I never saw this message! I eat sweet potato every day, and I have spinach in my smoothie every day. Do you suggest to start eating spinach and kale? And I am vegan so I would not eat salmon, but thank you for your suggestion. I have tried flaxseed but did not like it. But if it will help my skin, I will try again. What do you suggest putting flaxseed into?
And I have heard of chia seed but never researched into it. What do you put it into? 
And also, my mum bought quinoa to help but I have tried it. Have you had any luck with it?

Sorry for all the questions, I™m just really desperate.

9 hours ago, MrBakery said:

some people recommend vitamin c  to help with skin healing.

Thank you. Do you mean as tablet form? Because I used to take them but we no improvement. 
Or do you mean oil that I put into my skin? Because vitamin c oil caused a horrific breakout. 
Do you suggest any foods?

MemberMember
(@username110)

Posted : 12/09/2017 4:03 am

regarding vitamin c. yes the tablet form. ive read something about vitamin c serum cream but never tried it myself.

MemberMember
(@aepinkman8)

Posted : 12/09/2017 4:35 am

32 minutes ago, MrBakery said:

regarding vitamin c. yes the tablet form. ive read something about vitamin c serum cream but never tried it myself.

Okay, thank you. I did try them for a year but they didnt help...Any brands you go by yourself?
Any food suggestions?