HELP please - Adult...

Notifications
Clear all

HELP please - Adult acne?

MemberMember
(@fee3178)

Posted : 10/28/2017 4:12 pm

Hi all

Thanks for taking a look at my thread. I have literally just signed up to the community.

I was wondering whether anyone could give me some advice.

Two weeks ago I broke out in acne all over my chest, back, neck and face. I literally went to bed with clear skin and woke up caked in acne. I have always been very lucky with my skin - I had the odd spot/pimple throughout my life, maybe 3/4 spots on my face at any one time. however, within 7 hours I had woken up with it everywhere, completely out of the blue. I had no idea what it was. For two days it  got worse, and worse until I thought maybe I had some kind of skin infection.  To begin with I didn't do much with my skin apart from put on sudocrem, but over the course of 2 days in started working its way from just my back, neck and chest onto my face. Thinking it was a skin infection I put some steroid cream on - rightly or wrongly but it started to work, reduced the redness and started to reduce whatever it was. I decided to visit the doctors who told me they thought it was adult acne, but they were completely stumped by how quickly and badly it had developed. They gave me a course of antibiotics (doxy) and within 2 days my skin was back to normal, no spots, no redness my normal skin, so I decided to stop taking it, as I don't like taking antibiotic's unless I really have to. 3 days later, back they came, not on my back, a bit on my chest, but literally my entire face - chin, cheeks, side of my face, forehead. My nose so far is the only clear bit of my skin. I have started to take the antibiotic's again but they have not worked as quickly as before, or not at all tbh ...

Does this sound like acne to you?

I am thinking of returning to the doctors next week as I am stumped.

Many thanks for your help. 

image1.jpeg.jpg

image2.jpeg.jpg

image3.jpeg.jpg

image4.jpeg.jpg

MemberMember
(@justpeachy3145)

Posted : 11/01/2017 12:47 pm

Hello! I can't say that I can offer an explanation to the sudden nature of your acne, but it is incredibly important to make sure that you finish any course of antibiotics in its entirety, even if things start looking better. It's likely that the bacteria causing your acne developed a resistance to the antibiotics and came back with a vengeance because you didn't complete the whole cycle.

If you do see the doctor again, you could possibly ask for another type of antibiotic and complete that whole round to see if it helps. However, I would make sure that after your antibiotics, you focus on replenishing the good bacteria in your gut and see if you can figure out if there a diet-related cause to your sudden breakout.