Notifications
Clear all

Flaky dry skin from over washing

MemberMember
(@eileenx)

Posted : 07/31/2017 11:21 pm

Hello all,
This is a recent problem I've been facing with my skin and hopefully I can get some help :,)

So I started using a face wash that my friend let me use because she didnt want it anymore, but it has exfoliating beads in it and since I dont have tons of money I kept using it because I thought i could get away with it until i can convince my parents to buy me a new one. Long story short, it's making me suffer now because the over exfoliating (i also exfoliate once a week and my face mask has sugar in it but i dont tend to scrub it in because I already exfoliate) has completely dried up my nose area and mouth area. It's flaky but not that red. It's super painful. I've been washing my face with just water since yesterday and only using moisturizer (all i have is oil. It's not doing anything and my moms moisturizer burns)

I really need help. I'm desperate.

Hopefully someone can also recommend any cheap products (face wash specifically because i have a moisturizer that works for me I just never get to buy it. Its that clean and clear one with the purple pump??)

(fyi: I have tried cetaphil. it's not strong enough for my acne. and i cant afford the acne.org regiment but hopefully one day i can try it out.)

I have scarring and not as severe acne.

MemberMember
(@cameron4240)

Posted : 08/11/2017 9:41 pm

I would reccomend the Biore Charcoal Acne Daily Cleanser, also the Nuetrogena Oil free Acne wash works well (drugstore generics can also do the trick and for cheaper). You need to also remember that you can't be so rough on your skin, irritation will alway lead to more acne. I recommend washing your face once a day (twice a day if oily 12 hours after first cleanse) and with a cleanser that's not too abrasive. Cetaphil is also a good mosturizer if you're looking into buying a new one.

MemberMember
(@bassetluvr)

Posted : 08/15/2017 12:03 am

Most exfoliating beads are gimmicky...go with an alpha or beta hydroxy acid or if you really want mechanical exfoliation, get amicrodermabrasion machine with a diamond head. Sounds like you don't need more exfoliation at the moment! CeraVe makes a mild cleanser that doesn't foam, but for mildness, I prefer Johnson & Johnson's baby shampoo. It is the only product that doesn't trigger mild rosacea for me.

MemberMember
(@honeyginseng)

Posted : 09/11/2017 3:23 pm

On 8/15/2017 at 1:03 AM, bassetluvr said:

Most exfoliating beads are gimmicky...go with an alpha or beta hydroxy acid or if you really want mechanical exfoliation, get a microderm abrasion machine with a diamond head.  Sounds like you don't need more exfoliation at the moment!  CeraVe makes a mild cleanser that doesn't foam, but for mildness, I prefer Johnson & Johnson's baby shampoo.  It is the only product that doesn't trigger mild rosacea for me.

I agree with bassetluvr on the exfoliating beads! Plus those clarisonic or vanity planet brushes are also too abrasive for your skin. These are physical exfoliants.

Chemical exfoliants like AHA are actually better for your skin. But of course, you'll need to hold off on that until your skin is fully repaired from the irritation.

Once you get back to your routine, I suggest only washing your face at night and only washing with water in the morning. If you double cleanse at night with an oil cleanser and a mild water-based cleanser then this is sufficient for taking off all your makeup, sunscreen, dirt, etc. :)

Facewash-wise, I think oil cleansing might be great because it's natural. If you have oily skin, you could benefit from oils like rosehip oil, grapeseed oil, evening primrose oil,...I totally gotta make a blog post about this soon!