Notifications
Clear all

Orange Peel (skin) texture of face from using AHA

MemberMember
(@jm_uy)

Posted : 06/29/2017 1:56 am

I don't have a phone right now so I can't take pics. so I've noticed that my 99.9% of my face (everywhere on my face) is red, itchy, and seems to have open-pores and orange-peel-like texture. I'm wondering if its from over-exfoliation since I use AHA everyday. I decided that I'm not going to use anything on my face except cetaphil cleanser and moisturizer until my skin becomes less irritated. Is it gonna help? Will the orange-peel-like texture go away in a few weeks or is permanent?

Edit: I have also been using tee tree soap as a facial wash before putting aha on my face, it stings. In contrary, If i use my neutrogena facial wash and then aha, it doesnt sting. I decided to put an antibiotic cream and moisturizer after I experienced the stinging, is that also a reason why my face is acting up?

2nd Edit: So, i found out that my pores aren't actually open, they looked raised up

MemberMember
(@eternalrocket)

Posted : 06/29/2017 5:48 am

Don't know much about AHAs, but i have the same issue with isotretinoin. And i think its because of the dryness and irritation. So recently i started using cetaphil dam moisturizer. Its very heavy so i use it at night and i can say that it has helped somewhat, the texture, redness and the dryness have definitely improved. You can give it a try.

JM_Uy liked
MemberMember
(@ae1976)

Posted : 06/29/2017 7:52 pm

Leaving your face alone will definitely help. If you just leave your face alone, you will see a difference in 4-5 days. Do not use AHA's everyday.

JM_Uy liked
MemberMember
(@jm_uy)

Posted : 06/29/2017 11:12 pm

3 hours ago, Ae1976 said:

Leaving your face alone will definitely help. If you just leave your face alone, you will see a difference in 4-5 days. Do not use AHA's everyday.

You mean I won't do anything to my face? Not even washing my face with a cleanser?

MemberMember
(@ahaguru)

Posted : 06/30/2017 12:47 am

Yes over exfoliating does cause skin more harm than good
No it's not permanent, it will go away if you stop using any exfoliating treatments
for future use only once a week for better results

MissSac17 and JM_Uy liked
MemberMember
(@ae1976)

Posted : 07/06/2017 10:00 pm

On 6/30/2017 at 2:12 PM, JM_Uy said:
On 6/30/2017 at 10:52 AM, Ae1976 said:

You mean I won't do anything to my face? Not even washing my face with a cleanser?

Sorry I just saw this. You can wash with a cleanser if you want, but other than that just leave your skin alone. Hope this helps.

MemberMember
(@h4nnz)

Posted : 07/17/2017 4:26 am

Coming from a person who has experienced this orange-peel like texture for over two years, it doesn't just go away. I can tell you that.

We have essentially damaged our skin due to being overly abrasive and using harsh products. It can happen for a number of different reasons but it doesn't just go away overnight. I'm 17 and have been trying to get rid of it for over 2 years!!! Leaving your face alone won't do it any justice because it will stay like that...the healing process is..well, non existent and takes FAR TOO LONG. Honestly I wouldn't listen to anyone who tells you to leave your face alone. You need to get a good regime and stick to it. Just make sure you're being careful as you don't want to make matters worse. Your skin is far too sensitive to be mucking around with harsh chemicals/exfoiliants.

You sound like like you're in the early stages of this condition, as this is exactly what I experienced (and I'm sorry to say it, but it doesn't get any better).

What I'd recommend:
Use ingredients on your face that have been proven to shrink pore size and help with clogged pores and uneven texture.
I would suggest the following ingredients:
Niacinimide, a cleansing astringent toner, a low dose retinoid (be careful w/ this. Research for your specific skin type).

I'd recommend products from The Ordinary. Inexpensive and very, very high quality ingredients. Recently came into the market with the likes of Wayne Goss raving about how amazing the skincare line is.

BUT, my skin still hasn't healed. I've used Duac for my acne (which I think caused it all), differin, tetracycline etc. None of which I'd recommend. Extremely fed up with this condition though. Hopefully some of my advice will help you. Check out the post I made about it in the forum section. You might find some advice there for you.

Keep me updated!! Using this forum to share my journey and hopefully get rid of this once and for all.
Good Luck

MemberMember
(@nyc7)

Posted : 02/03/2018 3:18 pm

On 6/30/2017 at 0:12 AM, JM_Uy said:
On 6/29/2017 at 8:52 PM, Ae1976 said:

I would not wash it either . Have you seen improvement ? I hsve it too from 1 ipl. It's so disgusting , my pores got huge when you couldn't see a single pore and my skin is orange peel everywhere . I had ipl because I had 2 grey like patches on my upper lip and it looked like a mustache and the derm said she can go under my eye and thr circles would get lighter . Then she said she can get a few dark spots on the side of my face . Well, she used a giant handle that thryvuse for legs but told me it was a tiny circle so I was scared and it was over so fast . Turns out she did my whole face .

thr damage is similar to thr damage peoole get from retin a but worse . I won't go into the rest and stick to the skin. Basically , your barrier is no more and your epidermis is destroyed . In some cases there is dermal damage , chemical burn or laser burn but we don't see a traditional burn on the surface , it's s bad , deepburn .

thr only hope is to do nothing to your face, not even wash it . Do not listen to people who tell you to put products on, and never again use anything harsh , even after you heal . No acids of any kind , no exfoiliating, no laser or light , no BP, no anythung . When your skin recovers from this, you can use a very basic moisturizer with no actives (cetephil
is not good, read the ingredients and look them up) and a gentle cream cleanser . You don't need to wash your face everyday , you shouldn't . You hsve sensitive skin and hsve damaged it , if you try to get fancy again in the future , you will turn into a wax face and may never come bsxk

no products , no washing , I make up . Stay like that for s year and hopefully you recover

MemberMember
(@moonmoon)

Posted : 12/25/2018 8:40 am

Hello NYC7,, how is your skin now??

On 6/29/2017 at 4:48 PM, eternalrocket said:

Don't know much about AHAs, but i have the same issue with isotretinoin. And i think its because of the dryness and irritation. So recently i started using cetaphil dam moisturizer. Its very heavy so i use it at night and i can say that it has helped somewhat, the texture, redness and the dryness have definitely improved. You can give it a try.

How is your skin now!?

MemberMember
(@eternalrocket)

Posted : 12/25/2018 1:07 pm

4 hours ago, MoonMoon said:

Hello NYC7,, how is your skin now??

How is your skin now!?

Hey, well, i finished my course of isotretinoin..so acne is under control more or less if i keep up with my daily routine, but i suffer with pigmentation and acne scars.

MemberMember
(@moonmoon)

Posted : 12/25/2018 5:19 pm

On 2/4/2018 at 2:18 AM, Nyc7 said:

I would not wash it either . Have you seen improvement ? I hsve it too from 1 ipl. It's so disgusting , my pores got huge when you couldn't see a single pore and my skin is orange peel everywhere . I had ipl because I had 2 grey like patches on my upper lip and it looked like a mustache and the derm said she can go under my eye and thr circles would get lighter . Then she said she can get a few dark spots on the side of my face . Well, she used a giant handle that thryvuse for legs but told me it was a tiny circle so I was scared and it was over so fast . Turns out she did my whole face .

thr damage is similar to thr damage peoole get from retin a but worse . I won't go into the rest and stick to the skin. Basically , your barrier is no more and your epidermis is destroyed . In some cases there is dermal damage , chemical burn or laser burn but we don't see a traditional burn on the surface , it's s bad , deepburn .

thr only hope is to do nothing to your face, not even wash it . Do not listen to people who tell you to put products on, and never again use anything harsh , even after you heal . No acids of any kind , no exfoiliating, no laser or light , no BP, no anythung . When your skin recovers from this, you can use a very basic moisturizer with no actives (cetephil
is not good, read the ingredients and look them up) and a gentle cream cleanser . You don't need to wash your face everyday , you shouldn't . You hsve sensitive skin and hsve damaged it , if you try to get fancy again in the future , you will turn into a wax face and may never come bsxk

no products , no washing , I make up . Stay like that for s year and hopefully you recover

Did your skin healed ??