Notifications
Clear all

Leaving benzoyl peroxide on for 5 or 60 minutes?

MemberMember
(@ethanhawaii)

Posted : 06/22/2017 2:40 pm

Hi, I have been using 2.5% BP the whole time I have been on Retin-A. And I can't leave it on the whole day because every moisturizer and sunscreen doesn't seem to go on without extremely noticeable white streaks.

So I have resorted to leaving it on in the morning for about 20-60 minutes. And it really hurts for the first 20 minutes or so, It's like a really uncomfortable burning sensation that I can't stand, so that's way I'm wondering (seeing as I wash it off and don't leave it on) if leaving it on for 5 minutes would do the same as 20 minutes or even an hour? I heard it kills 99% of germs on contact instantly so shouldn't this work as well as leaving it on for 60 minutes?

And my last question is wouldn't a 10% BP face washdo the same as leaving the 2.5% BP on for 5 minutes?
Here's the wash I'm looking at: [Edited link out]

Thanks!
Ethan

MemberMember
(@ethanhawaii)

Posted : 06/25/2017 1:57 pm

Anyone have an answer?

MemberMember
(@eternalrocket)

Posted : 06/25/2017 2:17 pm

I have heard that bp kills the acne causing bacteria almost instantly and from my personal experience too i can say that yes it works even if you dont leave it all day..and about bp facewashes..they are extremely effective and much more convenient than the topical gel too

MemberMember
(@ethanhawaii)

Posted : 06/25/2017 9:00 pm

Awesome thanks!
I will try the wash right after I run out of the gel.
It's weird because the BP doesn't seem to burn/sting as much now.

MemberMember
(@mathilde)

Posted : 06/26/2017 4:17 am

When I use it, it sort of "goes into" the skin, and I don't have to wash it off afterwards. Are you shure you aren't using to much, or simply aren't applying the bp correctly?

MemberMember
(@ethanhawaii)

Posted : 06/26/2017 9:43 pm

17 hours ago, Mathilde said:

When I use it, it sort of "goes into" the skin, and I don't have to wash it off afterwards. Are you shure you aren't using to much, or simply aren't applying the bp correctly?

I use about a teaspoon amount BP. It seems to go into the skin a bit, but when I wash it off I can still feel the slime of it, and moisturizers streak it like crazy!! So maybe I am using too much.
Though I found moisturizers remoisten the BP and make it irritating again and seeing as I am on Retin-A, that isn't good.

When I used it twice a day before being on Retin-A, I only used a small amount in the morning, (I used a lot at night which helped a lot) then I could kind of put on moisturizers on without too much streaking. Still not ideal.

MemberMember
(@eternalrocket)

Posted : 07/29/2017 3:40 am

On 6/26/2017 at 7:30 AM, EthanHawaii said:

Awesome thanks!
I will try the wash right after I run out of the gel.
It's weird because the BP doesn't seem to burn/sting as much now.

that's because your skin gets used to it.