Notifications
Clear all

Differin Diary

MemberMember
(@bluesoup)

Posted : 05/16/2017 12:49 pm

Hi, so i started differin and now i am just starting week 7 on it. i have seen no improvement in my skin really, i am still breaking out abit ect. my doctor said i have mild-moderate acne but i would say it is more moderate now.

week 0-3 i had really bad irritation but i just used alot of moisteriser
week 3-6 id say this was my bad breakout period and i still have remaining marks from this.
week 7 - i still get irritation (dry face ect) and acne no better

im also on lymecline antibiotics for acne too. im 16 year old male in my last year of high school and my skin really gets me down, ive felt really sad for a while with it now and i therefore have started to wear concealer. although some may say my acne isnt as bad as some peoples it still really gets me down and i just want my skin to be better :(

i have prom in about and month and i just want my skin to be clear or near enough clear for that but i dont think thats going to happen, what do you guys think? it will be about week 12 by then.
oh well im just trying to stay positive and hope things clear up for me.

MemberMember
(@bluesoup)

Posted : 05/16/2017 1:24 pm

Also, id love to hear other peoples acne or differin stories so feel free to post them on here :)

MemberMember
(@bluesoup)

Posted : 05/21/2017 5:57 am

Skin update: 

Just about to start week 8 as of tomorrow:
I guess I am seeing steady improvements as i'm now past the initial breakout stage (touch wood) but i would hope I would of seen more by this stage but i am definitley going to stick to the treatment as i do believe its helping. 

I am going back to the doctor on wednesday and going to see what he thinks, i also want to ask about how i can get rid of my post acne red marks because thats my main trouble really.

Anyway overall, slow minimal improvements but im fairly happy s of yet :)
You just have to stay positive with acne, atleast thats what ive found anyway.

MemberMember
(@crs20)

Posted : 05/22/2017 8:38 am

Hi,

I'm on differin (at night) and then duac in the morning and have been for about a year now, i still get spots every so often but find that in comes and goes in cycles. Like i could go a few weeks without getting any, and then end up with getting a few for a week or two. Overall though i really don't know if i've made that much progress over the year although i do think it is helping too. It's just difficult because i feel that with 2 prescription creams that i shouldn't be breaking out at all and when i do get spots there relatively big too.
I'm unsure whether to drop the duac because i get quite oily skin during the day despite me putting on moisturizer on top of the duac and this is when most of my spots form, just don't know whether it's worth the risk as i deffo don't want any more red marks as i have alot that haven't budged in 2 years

MemberMember
(@bluesoup)

Posted : 05/22/2017 12:11 pm

3 hours ago, CRS20 said:

Hi,

I'm on differin (at night) and then duac in the morning and have been for about a year now, i still get spots every so often but find that in comes and goes in cycles. Like i could go a few weeks without getting any, and then end up with getting a few for a week or two. Overall though i really don't  know if i've made that much progress over the year although i do think it is helping too. It's just difficult because i feel that with 2 prescription creams that i shouldn't be breaking out at all and when i do get spots there relatively big too. 
I'm unsure whether to drop the duac because i get quite oily skin during the day despite me putting on moisturizer on top of the duac and this is when most of my spots form, just don't know whether it's worth the risk as i deffo don't want any more red marks as i have alot that haven't budged in 2 years

Hi, hmm how bad would you describe your acne as now? I am not asking for completley clear skin i just want to get rid of all my red marks :( but i dont think its going to happen.

MemberMember
(@bluesoup)

Posted : 05/31/2017 9:51 am

So I'm on week 9 and I would say I am hardly breaking out much now, (touch wood) and If I do break out it's normally just one or two which aren't too much of a problem to me. However I just have a lot of red marks where the old acne was, I know this will take time to fade which I am okay with I guess because I use concealer even though I am a straight male. I see itching wrong with wearing concealer to be honest and I've done it for about a year now, it helps me feel more confident in  mean time whilst my skin is clearing so I have no bother with using it :). Anyway I bought an AHA cleaner to use to help my marks fade and so far it's irritated my In abit and made it slightly red and more tight again after washing, therefore I'm onlygoing to  use it once week or something. 
anyway I'm having slow but steady progress so I'll just have to stick with the differin and antibiotics. 

MemberMember
(@bluesoup)

Posted : 06/06/2017 12:53 pm

not really much to update to be honest no new breakouts really just still got a lot of hyperpigmintation which annoys me but oh well. I'm on about week 9 or 10 now just want to have completely clear skin but obviously that isn't going to happen. Anyway I'll keep updating this :)

MemberMember
(@bluesoup)

Posted : 06/21/2017 7:52 am

So just writing an update, i have prom tomorrow and in all i say my skin has improved quite a bit. Although i've got a big red spot appear on my jawline which i'm a bit annoyed about :(. My skin is now just marked from the old spots but they are fading slowly, i don't get many spots anymore.

Anyway lets hope my spot goes down for tomorrow :/

MemberMember
(@bluesoup)

Posted : 06/22/2017 4:22 am

Typical, 3 new red spots on the day of prom :(. Oh well ill just have to cover them it's not the end of the world.

MemberMember
(@bluesoup)

Posted : 07/06/2017 5:28 am

So just updating, it has been about 14 weeks since i started differin and my skin is finally looking good. I rarely get many spots now however is do go through a small phase where a phew pop up but i can deal with that. Id say my skin is 90% clear with just a few spots left at the moment however i do have a fair bit of hyperpigmentation but i can cover this with concealer so it is not the end of the world.

So my skin looks alot better which i am happy with, i just hope it continues to improve! :)

MemberMember
(@lhong)

Posted : 07/30/2017 8:47 pm

Hi Bluesoup

I wish my differin can just start doing its job. I am now on week8 and still have new acne everywhere. I hope I cam get the same result as you did in a few weeks after this. Good luck and best wish to you.

Cheers

BlueSoup liked
MemberMember
(@bluesoup)

Posted : 08/05/2017 1:45 pm

On 31/07/2017 at 2:47 AM, Lhong said:

Hi Bluesoup

I wish my differin can just start doing its job. I am now on week8 and still have new acne everywhere. I hope I cam get the same result as you did in a few weeks after this. Good luck and best wish to you.

Cheers

Hey man, honestly i remember week 8 and i was still quite unhappy with my skin, hang in there because you'll be glad to know it gets better from now! Try and stick to it for as long as possible man! Good luck!

MemberMember
(@bluesoup)

Posted : 08/30/2017 11:55 am

I can finally say i am happy with my skin! About a month ago i became happy with my skin again and it has changed my slef esteem alot! Honestly differin will work, you just have to get through the horrible stages of it. I felt horrible for weeks but trust me its worth it in the end! Good luck to all and lets hope our skin get/stays better :) 

MemberMember
(@ot1)

Posted : 08/30/2017 12:57 pm

I am really happy for you guys that Differin is working out!

I have a different story on my end- I've always taken Differin for 8 plus years and had great skin.

However once Differin became available over the counter and would purchase it conveniently at the store and pretty cheap too.
All of a sudden- BAD break outs, left and right. Cysts out of nowhere.

I've read online supposedly that the formula has not changed but my skin did not like the new Differin version. I had to resort to go to my Dermatologist and immediately got me on Tretinoin 1% and antibiotics.

It is just so odd to me that happened with the new adapalene available over the counter- I am assuming my acne prone skin just needs to prescription level grades and perhaps the .3% Differin gel would work on me.

Anywho- SO happy for you guys. I do not hate Differin it had me 100% spot clear for MANY years but I have a feeling that new formula was reduced and since it is over the counter; they can word ingredients and percentages differently.

MemberMember
(@ronrox)

Posted : 09/10/2017 11:27 pm

Did you have acne before starting differin? I had acne but BP cleared it up but my derm put me on adaplene for PIH. It's been like 2-3 weeks and I see a few fade. Should I expect an IB even though I never had a bad case of acne even while starting differin

MemberMember
(@bluesoup)

Posted : 09/13/2017 2:22 pm

Yes i had acne beforehand, which is why i broke out alot on it. If you are lucky then hopefully you wont get any breakouts, good luck mate :)

MemberMember
(@bluesoup)

Posted : 10/10/2017 12:27 pm

Just an update:
my skin has been clear for sometime now however, in the past few days i have been getting a few spots again :(. i hope this is just a small phase and i dont go back to how i used to be.
I have started worrying about my skin again now i just hope my skin stays good.