Notifications
Clear all

ACCUTANE INITIAL BREAKOUT

MemberMember
(@azukiimochi)

Posted : 04/25/2017 12:05 am

Hi guys,

So I started Accutane 4 days ago and I am DREADING the initial purge and I'dlike to know others' experiences with the purging period so...

Did you get an initial breakout?
How bad was it?
How long did it last?
What was your dosage?
How severe was your acne before Accutane?

Also are there any makeup products (mostly foundation) that can be recommended for acne skin or make-up techniques because I have no idea where to even begin with dry skin?

Any replies will be greatly appreciated, thanks!!

MemberMember
(@adamfu)

Posted : 04/25/2017 2:23 pm

Hello, I also started accutane 11 days ago.(30mg a day) And my first week was terrible, I had breakout all over my face, even in places where I normally don't get breakout.
I wasn't expecting getting IB this early since from what I read people don't get it until 2 weeks in. However it look like it's clearing a little and I do see some improvement on my skin.
Currently the big breakouts is clearing and I have some whitehead constantly popping out everyday.
I'm a guy and used to have really oily skin before I started accutane. Now I wash my face twice a day and use toner first, benyzol preoxide after to control some IB and last I use cetaphill moisturizer with 30SPF. So far I'm not experiencing too much problem with the dry skin, kinda like it actually to not be oily, however it did hurt to wash my face and apply things on my face last night.
I think it will be a good thing to do if we update on each other since we started similar time

MemberMember
(@vihk)

Posted : 05/08/2017 5:05 pm

Before Accutane i used to have bit more then average acne and a couple of these under skinned ones. Maybe two or three. My internal breakout started around day 7 and it was really bad. I think around 20 to 30 whiteheads every day. After 7 days i had more pimples then i ever had before. I took some days of from work because i was afraid people would see me full of acne. Day 14 of my cycle i didn't get any new pimples and it quickly faded away. I think around week 3/4 i was totally clear!

My first 1,5 month i used to take 60 mg. After that 40 mg.

One tip: Just don't pick ur pimples. They will go away really quick because of dry skin.

Goodluck with ur cycle!

MemberMember
(@blenkins90)

Posted : 05/10/2017 6:36 am

It's going to depend on a case by case basis I think (skin type, dosage, etc.), but I had moderate to severe acne before starting Accutane, and then after the first 3 months it started to clear. I started on a pretty high dosage (75mg I think), and it the first 2-3 months resulted in a lot of breakouts (not continuous but regular). It calmed down after that, but still happened periodically.

Get some good chapstick. It's going to become your best friend. As a guy I can't really comment on the makeup part.

Good luck! It gets better over time :)

MemberMember
(@cecek)

Posted : 05/14/2017 5:00 am

I am on 40mg.
I am in the initial phase right now, i am getting new acne mainly on my chin/forehead and lower cheeks (near my chin), I am also getting small red bumps next to my nose( under the under eye area, if that makes sense) and the blackheads on my nose or somehow coming out. although the acne I am getting are not major since my acne to begin with was mild.

I am in my 4th week so I guess things might get worse the coming month (I hope not :( )
I am using Revlon colorstay (for dry skin) even though it has light coverage because it feels light and it doesn't move around. when I want better coverage I use loreal infallible (for dry skin), but test it before buying it because it has a strong smell so it might burn/sting although personally it didn't burn me or sting me..
also since my skin is veryyyy dry, I usually try to avoid foundation as much as possible coz I feel like its drying my face even more.. but if u cant do that (like cant most of the times :D ) then make sure u get a or very dry skin with  foundation of a bb cream with no oil in it (as my derm recommended me)