Notifications
Clear all

Am I allergic to benzoyl peroxide?

MemberMember
(@mathilde)

Posted : 04/09/2017 3:56 pm

I decided to try this new cleanser from neutrogena, the rapid clear stubborn acne cleanser, containing 10% benzoyl peroxide. When I tried it my face went really red, a lot more red than when I've used other acne treatments not containing benzoyl peroxide. My face got a bit less red throughout the day, and i didn't think it was so bad anymore. However, when i woke up the next day, my face was really red again, it was a little swollen, and itchy. I did not reapply the cleanser, I've only used it once. Even the day after that, my face was still itchy, but not very red. Could I have used to much of the cleanser, did it contain too much benzoyl peroxide or am I allergic? Should I avoid other products containing benzoyl peroxide? Please help:|

MemberMember
(@username110)

Posted : 04/10/2017 4:02 pm

yes Benzoyl Peroxide can cause redness.

5% or weaker is best.

some say BP creams can be washed off after 10mins to avoid redness.

Mathilde liked
MemberMember
(@rachie39)

Posted : 04/11/2017 3:54 am

10% bp is VERY high. Expecually if this is your first time using it. Start with 2.5%. It does a great job and while it sounds like a low dosage, its still pretty strong. My skin does exactly what you described when I use the 5% one. Just stop using it and in a few days the redness will fade. Stay away from BP until the redness is gone, then begin the 2.5%. If you dont give your skin a chance to heal, as its very irritated right now, it will just get worse.

Mathilde liked
MemberMember
(@bluesorghum)

Posted : 04/12/2017 11:09 pm

I agree that 10% is too high for a first try. I burned my skin very badly as a teen even using 5% benzoyl peroxide cream. It was so red and swollen that my mom let me stay home from school. We thought it was an allergy at the time, but in retrospect I think it was because I got overly enthusiastic about getting rid of my acne and cleansed too much and put too much BP on after stripping my skin, which gave me a chemical burn. I started my daughters out with a 2.5% benzoyl peroxide cream and they tolerated it very well.

Mathilde and Rachie39 liked