Notifications
Clear all

DIFFERIN INITIAL BREAKOUT

MemberMember
(@chloecol2010)

Posted : 03/12/2017 5:37 pm

I started DIFFERIN 0.1% about 10 days ago and have already had a massive breakout. Like I can't leave the house because makeup can't even cover it breakout. It is so bad but I would get through it if I knew it was working. Is it normal to breakout immediately? And if I have the breakout so early on, is there hope that I will have clearer skin/see an improvement before 8 weeks? I just need reassurance that it actually works and I'm not going through the embarrassing breakout for nothing :(

MemberMember
(@rachie39)

Posted : 03/13/2017 12:36 am

Im having a little breakout on my new regimen I started 13 days ago and im thinking the same way. That if I knew it was working, it would help me to push through. I think this is just our skin getting rid of what was already in us and we need to push through it as hard as that is, which is VERY hard. But, we need to give these new products a chance to work. Most people go through a purging stage, so thats reassuring to know. Give it all you've got to push through. Its really hard, but it will be so worth it once we get through this stage. There is hope.

MemberMember
(@chloecol2010)

Posted : 03/13/2017 3:50 am

I am praying that it gets better for us soon! @Rachie39

Rachie39 liked
MemberMember
(@rachie39)

Posted : 03/13/2017 4:19 am

MemberMember
(@rubyk)

Posted : 03/18/2017 11:36 pm

I totally understand when you need some reassurance that the treatment works. The IB is very disheartening and I had my doubts whether it was working. I too can't leave the house and don't even bother with makeup cause there's really no point!!

I don't think you should worry too much whether your IB starts early as everyone reacts differently to the treatment.

I am currently on week 10 differin. I had IB from week 3 up to week 8. At week 8, for the first time I felt there was some hope. The breakouts has slowed down and I was starting see some clear skin!Since week 10, I must say there's been quite an improvement. The pimples are superficial and would go away quickly (3-5 days). Some might even go away on it's own! My skin is smooth and my closed comodones (that was my main problem) is 70% gone.

Differin works. But boy,u need a lot of patience and mental strength to power through. The first two months was hell. I wasn't sure whether it was working cause the breakouts seem endless. But I was desperate to fix it and stuck to it.

My advise based on my experience so far is to evaluateat week 8. And even so there might only be minimum improvement. But stick to it for at least 12 weeks to see significant improvement. Get your derm to prescribe both oral and topical antibiotic to help reduce inflammation and hence less scarring.

My skin is not where I want it to be yet. I am hoping by week 12 I would be 90% clear. There's hope!!!

MemberMember
(@coldsinceyouleft)

Posted : 03/18/2017 11:42 pm

5 minutes ago, RubyK said:

I totally understand when you need some reassurance that the treatment works. The IB is very disheartening and I had my doubts whether it was working. I too can't leave the house and don't even bother with makeup cause there's really no point!!

I don't think you should worry too much whether your IB starts early as everyone reacts differently to the treatment.

I am currently on week 10 differin. I had IB from week 3 up to week 8. At week 8, for the first time I felt there was some hope. The breakouts has slowed down and I was starting see some clear skin!Since week 10, I must say there's been quite an improvement. The pimples are superficial and would go away quickly (3-5 days). Some might even go away on it's own! My skin is smooth and my closed comodones (that was my main problem) is 70% gone.

Differin works. But boy,u need a lot of patience and mental strength to power through. The first two months was hell. I wasn't sure whether it was working cause the breakouts seem endless. But I was desperate to fix it and stuck to it.

My advise based on my experience so far is to evaluateat week 8. And even so there might only be minimum improvement. But stick to it for at least 12 weeks to see significant improvement. Get your derm to prescribe both oral and topical antibiotic to help reduce inflammation and hence less scarring.

My skin is not where I want it to be yet. I am hoping by week 12 I would be 90% clear. There's hope!!!

I was interested in trying Differin. How mentally strong do I have to be to handle the initial breakout?

MemberMember
(@rubyk)

Posted : 03/19/2017 1:08 am

1 hour ago, coldsinceyouleft said:
I was interested in trying Differin. How mentally strong do I have to be to handle the initial breakout?

I think it depends on your existing acne condition.
For me during the span of 2 months I must have had at least 50 pimples (combination of papules and pustules) on one cheek! I only put differin on my left cheek as it was a problematic area from a new product I used. I would get new pimples every 2-3 days. I have had clear skin all my life, so it was pretty traumatic watching the breakouts going on and on.
Basically be prepared for the worse!

MemberMember
(@chloecol2010)

Posted : 03/19/2017 6:34 am

DIFFERIN sucks!!! But I am waiting it out! I am not mentally strong because of the acne itself that I've had for a while now but I would go through all this pain and embarrassment if it meant I could have less spots! You just have to want it so bad that you'll try anything and be patient with it. I need this to work because accutane is the last option and I do not want to go on it :'(