Notifications
Clear all

Skin clear for 3 months post benzoyl peroxide , now breaking out again

MemberMember
(@marguerite1993)

Posted : 03/11/2017 9:32 am

Hey everyone, this is my first post here but I've been reading this forum for years. :) I'm a 24f by the way :)
 So I was on and off benzoyl peroxide for about 2 years. At first it I used 5„… and it cleared my skin beautifully. I did however get some pitted scarring from like deeper reddish pimples (although I wouldn't call them cysts). Prior to BP I would only get pimples which would come to head and would only pit if I mistreated them. So eventually I ended up using 10„… but I was breaking out anyway so I decided to quit. For about 3 months I only washed my face every other day with the Body Shops seaweed wash and I was practically clear, so I thought I'd outgrown my acne. Then about a month ago my skin got very oily again and I got 2 large pimples which too like 2 weeks (which is much longer than I was used to) to heal. Surprisingly, one turned out to eventually come to head. When I was on BP, such pimples would only last like 3 days. So I had 2 pimples on my right cheek, and some small ones on my right cheek too, but my right cheek is clear again now. My left check however looks awful. It also has 2 large pimples which have come to head but the bump is still there. I also had insomnia last week and took 1 mirtazapine tablet, 7.5, but that seemed to cause a huge breakout so I quit straight away. So my question to you is:what do you think is going on? Is it normal to have like a few last pimples on the way to becoming clear? Or do you think my skin was still 'under influence' of the BP during the first 3 months I quit? 
Advice would be much appreciated. 

MemberMember
(@ahaguru)

Posted : 06/06/2017 6:22 pm

Eat organic dairy and meat, it makes huge difference!
for insomnia try pinch of dill seeds, steep in hot water and drink
Drink herbal teas to heal and prevent future breakouts
honeybrush, red raspberry leaf, nettle, milk thistle, burdock
avoid taking with other drugs
wash face with raw honey in the morning

MemberMember
(@howe4108)

Posted : 06/08/2017 8:23 pm

Marqurite I suffered from stubborn moderate to severe hormonal acne from 17-21 went on 2 month of accutane and it became manageable from 22-24 but still persistent and annoying. At 25 I had a few bad breakouts but they were much less frequent and I noticed the oil production go way down. I am now 26 and extremely confident to say I have out grown the acne not a single bad zit in 5 months! Going off birth control definitely plays a role 2 of my friends had bad breakouts for months after hormonal shifts related to going on, switching, or off BC.

I would wash your face more frequently than every other day if you are suffering with a flare up hear and there. Where you taking any new vitamins at this time? B vitamins, biotin, and collegen supplements for instance increase oil production and should be avoided by acne prone people. Soy protein, soybean oil, and kale also give me HORRIBLE flare ups so I still have to avoid these as well. I would also make sure your getting enough fiber that helps the body dispose of excess hormones. Also Naturally Clear spray is amazing its like 20$ on amazon and well worth it saved me during the 22-24 year old days and actually prevented acne from forming. I wish I would have found it before I did the accutane.

MemberMember
(@skinnie)

Posted : 06/16/2017 1:03 pm

Hm. Your timeline honestly lines up with seasonal changes. Your skincare needs to change with the seasons usually. It is possible that winter was better for your skin because you were sweating less/less bacteria and as warmer weather came into play, the every other day washing wasn't properly removing dirt/dead skin cells. Try washing your face every day with a gentle wash. Watch out for tight skin that feels like it has to stretch when you move or flaky skin and use a plain, bland moisturizer if you need it. See how that affects your skin after a four weeks. You might want to consider using bp like once a week to maintain the clear skin and prevent acne. If you're worried about scarring, you could also try out an AHA or BHA. I would make changes slowly (every three or four weeks) and track everything with weekly pictures though. I use an AHA and a niacinamide moisturizer (olay Regenerist) and it's the niacinamidethat has really helped with fading marks. I use 2.5% BP too but it sporadically. Itactually does less than the AHA and niacinamide for preventing my acne and is better at clearing up skin if it does break out.