Notifications
Clear all

Isotretinoin through semen to pregrant woman

MemberMember
(@trapezius)

Posted : 02/21/2017 9:34 am

Hi! My wife got pregnant before I started low dose isotretinoin (20mg/day). I read that very small amount of isotretinoin is found in semen. I'm worried if it could be harmful to fetus if my wife gets isotretinoin though my sperm absorbed through vagina? I'll use condom from now on, but we have had sex without condom many times and maybe 5-6 times I have ejaculated inside.

MemberMember
(@abi72)

Posted : 02/21/2017 10:57 am

I would advise you to avoid pregnancy at this stage.
isotretinoin does effect sperm and some have reported wives having ectopic pregnancies.
It may be a coincidence but given that sperm is possibly lowered it make sense to be cautious.

Are you aware that isotretinoin can cause long term/ permanent sexual side effects including greatly reduced libido?

MemberMember
(@trapezius)

Posted : 02/21/2017 11:26 am

You misunderstood. She was already pregnant before I started isotretinoin.

I didn't know it could cause long term/permanent side effects. I read that it can lower testosterone but didn't find any conclusive as one study said it lowers test and one says it doesn't.

I ate one cycle of isotretinoin 17 years ago when I was 16. I can't say if it affected my test/libido. Maybe, because I became more introvert. I Had quite little interest to girls and started sex life late at 20. After then I've had quite good libido. But now at 32 I had to start TRT.

Is there any other permanent and good drug to take care of rosacea?

MemberMember
(@abi72)

Posted : 02/21/2017 12:16 pm

32 minutes ago, Trapezius said:

You misunderstood. She was already pregnant before I started isotretinoin.

I didn't know it could cause long term/permanent side effects. I read that it can lower testosterone but didn't find any conclusive as one study said it lowers test and one says it doesn't.

I ate one cycle of isotretinoin 17 years ago when I was 16. I can't say if it affected my test/libido. Maybe, because I became more introvert. I Had quite little interest to girls and started sex life late at 20. After then I've had quite good libido. But now at 32 I had to start TRT.

Is there any other permanent and good drug to take care of rosacea?

Applogies. So if you are taking iso now i suggest you take care from this point on just because it's better to be safe rather than sorry.
It sounds like accutane affected you when you were 16 but you didn't make the connection. Isotretinoin does affect your hormone an not in a positive way.
Many report losing their zest for life, never really reaching their full potential because of altered mental state and debilitating longterm/permanent physical side effects.
Google accutane sexual side effects and accutane depression. Google Dr David Healy sexual side effects accutane.
Have you seen topic 'repairing longterm side effects of accutane'

You can listen to doctors who will tell you accutane is safe or you can listen to the people who took it.
Side effects may be rare but they are not rare when they happen to you. Also no one knows what % of people have suffered
from longterm/permanent side effects because no one keeps records.
Can you PM me about your earlier experience of accutane.
Thanks

MemberMember
(@trapezius)

Posted : 02/22/2017 2:51 am

What about saliva? What amount of isotretinoin is found in saliva? Damn I regret much that I had to start ISO cycle now when wife is pregnant. Allthough it's likely not to cause anything to fetus, because amounts she received through semen and saliva are million times lower than oral dose and I'm on low dose 0,2mg/kg (20mg ed). I don't want any nanograms in her this time.

I don't find any information how much isotretinoin decreases DHT and what happens to DHT after discontunuing the drug. I only found few studies that say it degreases DHT. Lower DHT could be the cause of lower libido for some?

MemberMember
(@trapezius)

Posted : 02/22/2017 7:13 am

I'm not liking what I read ISO doing to DHT. I'm stopping ISO now. I ate 85 days * 20mg = 1700mg. Accumulated dose 18,5mg / kg (8,3mg / pound). Skin is ok. I'm not feeling any sides, not even skin or eye drying. The dose is low enough.

I'm going to get my Dihydrotestosterone measured after month. I'm on TRT 175mg/week so I've good level of T to be converted to DHT.

If I have problems with rosacea I'll find another way to take care of it.

MemberMember
(@trapezius)

Posted : 02/22/2017 3:38 pm

https://academic.oup.com/jcem/article-lookup/doi/10.1210/jcem.78.5.8175961

I found the whole study that says DHT in serum was degreased 14% from 5,5 to 4,6 nmol/l. That was after 3 months of ISO 0,7mg/kg. Not so significant that I thought.

MemberMember
(@abi72)

Posted : 02/22/2017 4:35 pm

9 hours ago, Trapezius said:

I'm not liking what I read ISO doing to DHT. I'm stopping ISO now. I ate 85 days * 20mg = 1700mg. Accumulated dose 18,5mg / kg (8,3mg / pound). Skin is ok. I'm not feeling any sides, not even skin or eye drying. The dose is low enough.

I'm going to get my Dihydrotestosterone measured after month. I'm on TRT 175mg/week so I've good level of T to be converted to DHT.

If I have problems with rosacea I'll find another way to take care of it.

Very sensible. I wouldn't get to caught up with DHT levels etc as they will change for many months to come yet I am guessing.
What's done is done and you can't change anything now. Be thankful that your wife got pregnant before you took accutane and so far
you have no side effects. Your dose is very low so your probably going to be ok.
Stop stressing as I know you will want to be strong for your wife and she for sure should not be stressed right now.
Don't forget to Pm me.
Very best of luck with the baby.

MemberMember
(@cornellc1645gmail-com)

Posted : 05/10/2022 3:34 pm

Trapezius,

I know it's an old post, but I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I was on low-dose accutane when my wife got pregnant and we had unprotected sex afterwards for quite some time. My son is now 3.5 and he is autistic. I keep thinking about whether that had to do anything with it. When I think about it, I blame myself for what happened to my son. I was wondering if you've had a similar experience. It's important to me, so please respond.

Thank you,