Notifications
Clear all

HELP ME PLEASE - any advice

MemberMember
(@dmd123235)

Posted : 02/01/2017 4:38 am

I am 23 years old and I have been SUFFERING from cystic acne since I was 12.
My acne would occasionally get better or worse throughout the years but it was something I just dealt with. I had gone to the dermatologist many times and have been prescribed antibiotics and topicals that may or may not have help but ultimately nothing ever took really got rid of my acne. So I just wore makeup every day and got accustomed to that life. Yes, it has always been hard on me and I've always had horrible confidence issues because of it. Its affected relations, has stopped me from going certain places (beach or any type of swimming). Basically, I have not left my house SINCE I WAS 12 WITHOUT MAKE UP and I mean not even to walk outside and get the mail. Even around my own family I have to cover it up. So I lived basically my whole life like this just dealing with it until recently...

So over the past year I have notice a change in my skin. My acne has gotten much worse. To the point I where I am extremely depressed and have avoided leaving my house completely. I am currently a college student and my school work is suffering as well as my relationships with people.

My most recent trip to the dermatologist has put me on spironolactone 100mg a day. I have been on this for about 2.5 months now. It has made my acne MUCH worse but from what I have read that happens in the beginning. I am sticking it out for a few more weeks but now at this point I have red scars all over my face that I have never had before.I was also prescribed adapalene gel and benzoyl peroxide which I've used in the past and does not work. My doctors tested my hormone levels and everything has come back normal. I eat a VERY healthy completely vegan diet. I drink an insane amount of water. I have recently tried apple cider vinegar, tea tree oil, coconut oil, take a variety of vitamins and pretty much every remedy out there. BUT NOTHING IS WORKING FOR ME.

I honestly feel like I am doing everything I am supposed to and nothing is working.

I need help. I need some kind of advice or something maybe I haven't tried.
Please anything.

eggguy liked
MemberMember
(@antrobinson)

Posted : 02/01/2017 6:58 pm

I had cystic acne for about 2 years and roaccutane (also known as isotretanoin) was really a home run for me. As long as you can put up with the side effects for 6 months, like dry and flaky skin, chapped lips etc, then I would really recommend this to you. Your dermatologist might disagree, but its worth an ask. Theres plenty of info online about it so do some searching and mention that med. Seriously good stuff

MemberMember
(@islanda)

Posted : 02/02/2017 6:48 pm

I am currently dealing with a bad break out as well. I am looking into vitamins and Vitamin deficiency and all natural skincare. But there are also a lot of different reports on the internet about miracle acne cures, which they aren't always true. Always check if "the miracle cure ingredients" are comedogenic. Google vitamins good for acne and do some research. Also look into comedogenic lists. Coconut oil applied to the skin is comedogenic.

MemberMember
(@eggguy)

Posted : 02/02/2017 9:09 pm

On 2/1/2017 at 3:38 AM, dmd123235 said:

I am 23 years old and I have been SUFFERING from cystic acne since I was 12.
My acne would occasionally get better or worse throughout the years but it was something I just dealt with. I had gone to the dermatologist many times and have been prescribed antibiotics and topicals that may or may not have help but ultimately nothing ever took really got rid of my acne. So I just wore makeup every day and got accustomed to that life. Yes, it has always been hard on me and I've always had horrible confidence issues because of it. Its affected relations, has stopped me from going certain places (beach or any type of swimming). Basically, I have not left my house SINCE I WAS 12 WITHOUT MAKE UP and I mean not even to walk outside and get the mail. Even around my own family I have to cover it up. So I lived basically my whole life like this just dealing with it until recently...

So over the past year I have notice a change in my skin. My acne has gotten much worse. To the point I where I am extremely depressed and have avoided leaving my house completely. I am currently a college student and my school work is suffering as well as my relationships with people.

My most recent trip to the dermatologist has put me on spironolactone 100mg a day. I have been on this for about 2.5 months now. It has made my acne MUCH worse but from what I have read that happens in the beginning. I am sticking it out for a few more weeks but now at this point I have red scars all over my face that I have never had before.I was also prescribed adapalene gel and benzoyl peroxide which I've used in the past and does not work. My doctors tested my hormone levels and everything has come back normal. I eat a VERY healthy completely vegan diet. I drink an insane amount of water. I have recently tried apple cider vinegar, tea tree oil, coconut oil, take a variety of vitamins and pretty much every remedy out there. BUT NOTHING IS WORKING FOR ME.

I honestly feel like I am doing everything I am supposed to and nothing is working.

I need help. I need some kind of advice or something maybe I haven't tried.
Please anything.

have you tried accutane? I heard that it has worked wonders for people who have tried just about everything