Notifications
Clear all

When to resume Isotretinoin after Wisdom teeth extraction?

MemberMember
(@ronaldweasley)

Posted : 01/21/2017 4:42 pm

So about a week ago, I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth surgically extracted while under. A week before the surgery, I had stopped my Isotretinoin (30mg twice a day) treatment which I had been on for just over 6 months. (Which, by the way, cleared most acne but left LOTS of red scarring). My dermatologist advised me to resume the treatment (I have one month's worth of accutane left in hand) approximately 1 week after the surgery. I am scared to do so because I'm afraid of developing dry sockets, and that, because my holes are still open and bleeding occasionally, the isotretinoin, being the very drying medicine that it is, may cause the blood clots to not develop, resulting in dry sockets. Is it even a good idea to resume the medicine so soon? Should I wait longer? I only have 1 box left and I would like to take it to hopefully remove the red scarring that has been left behind. Any advice form anyone would be helpful. Thanks!

MemberMember
(@abi72)

Posted : 01/21/2017 9:36 pm

I

4 hours ago, ronaldweasley said:

So about a week ago, I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth surgically extracted while under. A week before the surgery, I had stopped my Isotretinoin (30mg twice a day) treatment which I had been on for just over 6 months. (Which, by the way, cleared most acne but left LOTS of red scarring). My dermatologist advised me to resume the treatment (I have one month's worth of accutane left in hand) approximately 1 week after the surgery. I am scared to do so because I'm afraid of developing dry sockets, and that, because my holes are still open and bleeding occasionally, the isotretinoin, being the very drying medicine that it is, may cause the blood clots to not develop, resulting in dry sockets. Is it even a good idea to resume the medicine so soon? Should I wait longer? I only have 1 box left and I would like to take it to hopefully remove the red scarring that has been left behind. Any advice form anyone would be helpful. Thanks!

I don't think the extra will help with scarring. i would leave it.
What side effects have you had?

MemberMember
(@ronaldweasley)

Posted : 01/22/2017 2:12 am

If you mean side effects from the surgery, I've had swelling, bruising, and pain. The sockets are still bleeding even a week later. But I try and keep my mouth clean as best as I can.