Notifications
Clear all

Medication advice please!

MemberMember
(@sayyadinna)

Posted : 01/05/2017 7:39 pm

Hey. I've been on Spironolactone (100mg daily) and Minocycline (100mg and then eventually 50) since 2012 and had like 99% clear skin since then. I went off both for a while well I was between employers and without insurance. Now I'm back on both (50 mg a day of the mino and 100 of the Spiro). This worked for the last year-and-a-half but over the last 6 months it seems like they've stopped working. I upped my Minocycline to 100 a day thinking the lower dose might have been the cause, but that hasn't helped. Meanwhile my cystic acne is back with a vengeance and my self-esteem has plummeted. I saw my derm and she suggested that we up the Spyro to 150 or 200 milligrams a day but I really fear an IB. Do other people have experience with upping their Spyro dosage? Will this work or make it worse? I really can't live like this, my skin is so awful I don't even want to go anywhere or see anyone. Any advice would be great. Thank you!

MemberMember
(@carpemomentum)

Posted : 02/02/2017 11:56 am

Hi there!

Unfortunately yes, whenever I increased my dose I did have a break out for quite some time. If you can get your skin care routine down, exfoliate, peels, etc to keep the clogs at bay that may help ease. I use Mandelic acid peels weekly for this.

I had to also up my dose several years in to using Spiro as I stopped BC, and my levels changed. Have you done a test on hormone levels recently? It may help you to see if you have any other issues causing which could be lower Estrogen, and higher Progesterone. Best to uncover the issue. I have my hormones tested frequently with my endocrinologist. Bumping to 125 mg from 100 mg fixed my skin right up. I fought going to 150 mg.

On 1/5/2017 at 7:39 PM, sayyadinna said:

Hey. I've been on Spironolactone (100mg daily) and Minocycline (100mg and then eventually 50) since 2012 and had like 99% clear skin since then. I went off both for a while well I was between employers and without insurance. Now I'm back on both (50 mg a day of the mino and 100 of the Spiro). This worked for the last year-and-a-half but over the last 6 months it seems like they've stopped working. I upped my Minocycline to 100 a day thinking the lower dose might have been the cause, but that hasn't helped. Meanwhile my cystic acne is back with a vengeance and my self-esteem has plummeted. I saw my derm and she suggested that we up the Spyro to 150 or 200 milligrams a day but I really fear an IB. Do other people have experience with upping their Spyro dosage? Will this work or make it worse? I really can't live like this, my skin is so awful I don't even want to go anywhere or see anyone. Any advice would be great. Thank you!

Hi there!

Unfortunately yes, whenever I increased my dose I did have a break out for quite some time. If you can get your skin care routine down, exfoliate, peels, etc to keep the clogs at bay that may help ease. I use Mandelic acid peels weekly for this.

I had to also up my dose several years in to using Spiro as I stopped BC, and my levels changed. Have you done a test on hormone levels recently? It may help you to see if you have any other issues causing which could be lower Estrogen, and higher Progesterone. Best to uncover the issue. I have my hormones tested frequently with my endocrinologist. Bumping to 125 mg from 100 mg fixed my skin right up. I fought going to 150 mg.

MemberMember
(@sararey)

Posted : 02/02/2017 12:15 pm

Hello, I am sorry to hear that this is happening! I have never had trouble with an IB when changing doses of Spiro or even starting it. Though I did get the worst cyst (I don't typically have these)Ihave everhad when I went from 50mg to 100mg. It sounds like many other people have experienced IB's though, perhaps I was just lucky.My Derm has told me that they have people on up to 200mg Spiro all the time. I agree with CarpeMomentum though, maybe you could have them check your hormone levels first, just to be sure you are on the right track... Good luck!
Oh, just be careful with the Minocycline, don't go over the 100mg dose. I was on 100mg for 2 1/2 months and started to get black crap etching into my teeth, it is secreted in high amounts in the saliva,had to have it sandblasted off by the Dentist, some still remains though...

MemberMember
(@umas)

Posted : 02/03/2017 12:14 pm

Concerning Minocycline - it's possible that yours bacteria become immune. Especially if you stoped for a while and go back on it. It can still help because of anti-inflammatory and not bacteriostatic properties. Although I would advise to stop using minocycline or any other oral antibiotic because you have been on it long enough.