Notifications
Clear all

Does Accutane Cause PCOS?

MemberMember
(@scaredofaccutane)

Posted : 12/21/2016 12:03 pm

Basically what the title says. Does Accutane cause PCOS? Has anyone developed PCOS after taking accutane? Or is PCOS caused by birth control? Is there a link of Accutane to PCOS?

MemberMember
(@scaredofaccutane)

Posted : 12/22/2016 8:17 am

Bump because I need to know.

MemberMember
(@thebean)

Posted : 12/22/2016 9:00 am

I don't know about PCOS specifically, but it has been linked to permanent reproductive damage and infertility in both sexes. I would say, taking that into consideration, that it's most certainly a possibility.

MemberMember
(@scaredofaccutane)

Posted : 12/22/2016 9:25 am

24 minutes ago, TheBean said:

I don't know about PCOS specifically, but it has been linked to permanent reproductive damage and infertility in both sexes. I would say, taking that into consideration, that it's most certainly a possibility.

So say if someone got irregular periods during their course of accutane, many people's periods normalise after the course, is this true?

MemberMember
(@thebean)

Posted : 12/23/2016 10:22 am

I would imagine that many do, some don't. I haven't research this specifically for this drug, but that would be 'par for the course', so to speak. If you are having side effects that concern you, speak to your doctor and your gynecologist. Too many people are experiencing side effects from medications (in general) and not speaking up. Silence is not going to serve you well in the long run.
Good luck.

oli girl liked
MemberMember
(@ethomas91)

Posted : 12/28/2016 10:30 pm

On 12/22/2016 at 9:25 AM, Scaredofaccutane said:
On 12/22/2016 at 9:00 AM, TheBean said:

So say if someone got irregular periods during their course of accutane, many people's periods normalise after the course, is this true?

This is exactly what happened to me. I was on accutane about 1 to a year and a half ago. My cycles were normal for me pre accutane, during my course with the medicine I was extremely irregular. Spoke with my dermatologist about the matter and he shrugged it off claiming there were no reports of irregularities concerning periods. Here I am a year off accutane and I been 365 days with no period. I'm starting to become concerned about PCOS as I have matched the symptoms I have to it. Of course I will confirm with my OB woth a diagnosis. Also looking into lawsuits in recent days...

MemberMember
(@thebean)

Posted : 12/29/2016 6:26 am

Wow, that's messed up, I'm sorry to hear that. I was on that depo-provera shot for BC way back in my early twenties. Back then, they didn't have any time limit for how long you could be on it, but thank heavens I stopped getting it somewhere between a year and a half and two years in. After a couple shots, it was normal for you to stop having a period. You should get it back after stopping--3 to 6 months, they said...it took two and a half years for me to have another period--after stopping!