Notifications
Clear all

Acne, hormonal issues & bulimia

MemberMember
(@aparton123)

Posted : 11/27/2016 2:47 pm

Hello,

I am looking for a little bit of help or advice

I am a 22 year old female and I have been suffering with acne for about a year now.

About 2 years ago I started suffering from bulimia. Although never underweight, I didn't have a period (TMI, I know!) for about a year. About a year ago I started fully recovering from my eating disorder (frequency reduced dramatically) and have been completely free of it for about 3 months.

As soon as my periods came back a year ago, I developed acne. I also experience some hair loss and my nails will grow really strong and then all randomly break off. AlsoI never experiencedacne when I was growing up so this is a first.

I have tried tropical treatments, antibiotics (which messed up my poor gut!) and am now on birth control Yasmin (have been for about 9 months now). I really would like to actually solve the root problem but doctors have no interest in helping .

My breakouts are heavily concentrated on the lower region of my face. In fact the top half of my face is completely clear.

Does anyone have any experience with any similar issues and acne or any words of wisdom?

(p.s I have also been following a strict dairy free, gluten free, fun free diet for quite a while now- recommend by a Nutritionalist). I have also has numerous peels/ isolaz at the dermatologist.

MemberMember
(@vulneraryrain)

Posted : 11/28/2016 8:22 am

Your probably suffering from hormonal acne. Some cases it goes away with age, but if you dont want to be on pills people usually resort to accutane to get rid of acne and be scot free.

MemberMember
(@shmilym)

Posted : 11/28/2016 8:36 am

I also experience some hair loss and my nails will grow really strong and then all randomly break off. 
You are a female. This is the signs of iron deficiency. 
I am in trouble with hormonal acne too. Maybe we have some problems with adrenal gland which is related to all hormone kinds :(