Notifications
Clear all

HELP! CLOSED COMEDONES?

MemberMember
(@choco2)

Posted : 11/27/2016 10:08 am

Hi, I'm 15 and I've been suffering with these bumps on my forehead for about a year, and my skin has also become increasingly oily. Sometimes I can just scratch off the oil sebum from my skin, but mostly the issue is that the bumps are under my skin - they're not pimples. I've done so much research for solutions, but every website tells me something different. What should I do? Change my diet? Change my regimen? I use Neutrogena Shine control twice a day and often exfoliate. I don't drink nearly enough water as I should, I have a moderately okay diet, but I do eat a few buscuits daily (I'm not overweight). This has affected me hugely, I cry every night because of how fed up I am with this. If you have any solution, please PLEASE list them below. P.S - no suggestions to buy Paula's AHA/BHA or any over he counter products. 

UPDATE----
So for the past 4/5 days I've nearly completely cut out dairy from my diet (I used to drink at least 1 cup of milk a day)  and I've noticed a relatively big change. Most of my comedones have gone, and my skin is looking clear. Keep in mind it's early days, but I'll see how it goes.

IMG_0545.PNG

IMG_4637.JPG

MemberMember
(@getridofthis007)

Posted : 11/27/2016 7:39 pm

Retinoid cream is suppose to help. Get it prescribed by your dermatologist.

Choco2 liked
MemberMember
(@vulneraryrain)

Posted : 11/27/2016 8:57 pm

Imbalso suffering from this tretinoin should help.

MemberMember
(@naturalcure1)

Posted : 11/29/2016 12:42 am

Any products that are not natural cause your skin to become addicted to them and it will not truly cure your skin, only work for a certain amount of time before your skin becomes immune to it. Try going the natural/organic way that I did to clear my skin, here's my blog post:  http://www.acne.org/messageboard/blogs/entry/32202-how-to-heal/

Please reach out with any questions! Best of luck!!! :)

Choco2 liked
MemberMember
(@thebean)

Posted : 11/29/2016 8:57 am

Exfoliation should only be done once or twice a week, or you risk making the acne worse. (You said "often" and I'm not sure what that means exactly.) I don't know if you have bangs? In that case, try to look into your hair products?

MemberMember
(@choco2)

Posted : 11/29/2016 11:23 am

2 hours ago, TheBean said:

Exfoliation should only be done once or twice a week,  or you risk making the acne worse.  (You said "often" and I'm not sure what that means exactly.) I don't know if you have bangs? In that case, try to look into your hair products? 

I do only exfoliate 1-2 times a week, and I don't have bangs. Do you think that taking a more natural method of cleansing would help??

10 hours ago, Naturalcure1 said:
Any products that are not natural cause your skin to become addicted to them and it will not truly cure your skin, only work for a certain amount of time before your skin becomes immune to it. Try going the natural/organic way that I did to clear my skin, here's my blog post:  http://www.acne.org/messageboard/blogs/entry/32202-how-to-heal/

Please reach out with any questions! Best of luck!!! :)

Thank you, I checked out your post! Do you think it would be effective to just use jojoba oil for my cleansing?

MemberMember
(@allymjoan)

Posted : 11/29/2016 11:56 am

My dermatologist told me that retinoid creams are suppose to help. Also do not over exfoliate because it might be doing more harm. I also have closed comedones but they are slowly going away since I started accutane. But i understand how annoying and frustrating it is. There was a point that I would cry everyday when I looked in the mirror and didn't want to go out anywhere because I was just so self conscious about my skin. I hope yours go away!

Choco2 liked
MemberMember
(@thebean)

Posted : 11/29/2016 1:36 pm

There's no way of knowing if a more "natural" approach would help you or not...for some people it really helps, others not. (You could try.) For some people, diet and/or supplements makes a difference, others not. I suppose it depends on the cause(s).
How long have you been using that particular cleanser?
I shy away from anything that tells me that it will absorb oil or reduce oil, etc...long term, my skin starts producing even more oil and in the short term they are almost sure to break me out.

MemberMember
(@naturalcure1)

Posted : 11/29/2016 11:24 pm

11 hours ago, Choco2 said:
I do only exfoliate 1-2 times a week, and I don't have bangs. Do you think that taking a more natural method of cleansing would help?? Thank you, I checked out your post! Do you think it would be effective to just use jojoba oil for my cleansing?

Yes! Jojoba oil is one of the best oils used on skin. Check out "the oil cleansing" method on YouTube and it will show you various ways to do it. Most consist of rubbing the oil of your face while dry for about 5 minutes, than you put  a hot damp towel over your face and let it absorb the oil, than continue to rinse your face with cold water until the oil is removed. As I said, research it on YouTube.  You will be amazed by the results! :)

Choco2 liked
MemberMember
(@alyleiii)

Posted : 11/29/2016 11:48 pm

Be very careful with oil cleansing. Patch test on your jawline first. I had a terrible experience with even the so-called good linoleic oils like grapeseed oil...made me get nodules around my mouth. I don't want you to get worse, just be cautious. Also, the blotting sheets from the drug store contain mineral oil which can break some people out.

Retinoids are another mixed bag. If you're very sensitive, they can be too harsh and you have to be very careful. Buffering them with a moisturizer first is a good way to prevent burns and excess peeling/purging on a retinoid. If you're prone to cystic acne, they usually aren't a good choice [or so I've read...and experienced myself]. Retin-A/Micro is the one I've seen with the worst track record for sensitivity issues. Some people have better luck with Differin cream.

The root of the issue is your oily skin, though. Until that's addressed you'll be prone to cc's and acne. If you're using a product that's too drying, your skin could be making oil to compensate.

11 hours ago, allymjoan said:

My dermatologist told me that retinoid creams are suppose to help. Also do not over exfoliate because it might be doing more harm. I also have closed comedones but they are slowly going away since I started accutane. But i understand how annoying and frustrating it is. There was a point that I would cry everyday when I looked in the mirror and didn't want to go out anywhere because I was just so self conscious about my skin. I hope yours go away!

Congrats on getting rid of your cc's with Accutane. This gives me hope if mine do not go away with Stridex because I can't stand my comedonal acne anymore. It's awful and I am truly considering low dose Accutane come January.

MemberMember
(@thebean)

Posted : 11/30/2016 11:21 am

On 11/30/2016 at 10:48 AM, cloudydreamer said:

Be very careful with oil cleansing. Patch test on your jawline first. I had a terrible experience with even the so-called good linoleic oils like grapeseed oil...made me get nodules around my mouth. I don't want you to get worse, just be cautious. Also, the blotting sheets from the drug store contain mineral oil which can break some people out.

Retinoids are another mixed bag. If you're very sensitive, they can be too harsh and you have to be very careful. Buffering them with a moisturizer first is a good way to prevent burns and excess peeling/purging on a retinoid. If you're prone to cystic acne, they usually aren't a good choice [or so I've read...and experienced myself]. Retin-A/Micro is the one I've seen with the worst track record for sensitivity issues. Some people have better luck with Differin cream.

The root of the issue is your oily skin, though. Until that's addressed you'll be prone to cc's and acne. If you're using a product that's too drying, your skin could be making oil to compensate.

Congrats on getting rid of your cc's with Accutane. This gives me hope if mine do not go away with Stridex because I can't stand my comedonal acne anymore. It's awful and I am truly considering low dose Accutane come January.

Agreed...careful with the oils. Actually, Jojoba and any linoliec oils are highly comedogenic. (Avoid anything that says "Lanolin"!) Cosmetics grade mineral oil is not. (It's one of only two or three oils out there that isn't comedogenic.) I found a more thorough, yet very easy to understand explanation of that here:
[Edited link out]
As with any products...you're best to test patch for a few days (maybe a week?) before going all in with your whole face...there's lots of stuff out there other people use without any issues that break me out like mad!

MemberMember
(@naturalcure1)

Posted : 11/30/2016 5:39 pm

Mineral oil is toxic! I'm sure the previous commenters have been brainwashed by their doctors/dermatologists. Feel free to reach out if you want to use natural products :)

Choco2 liked
MemberMember
(@choco2)

Posted : 12/01/2016 5:28 am

On 11/30/2016 at 10:21 PM, TheBean said:

Agreed...careful with the oils. Actually, Jojoba and any linoliec oils are highly comedogenic. (Avoid anything that says "Lanolin"!) Cosmetics grade mineral oil is not. (It's one of only two or three oils out there that isn't comedogenic.) I found a more thorough, yet very easy to understand explanation of that here:
[Edited link out]
As with any products...you're best to test patch for a few days (maybe a week?) before going all in with your whole face...there's lots of stuff out there other people use without any issues that break me out like mad!

So what to you think would be the best solution? :)

MemberMember
(@thebean)

Posted : 12/01/2016 6:32 am

Well, anyone here would definitely need more info to give you a solution...but at the beginning, you mentioned that you didn't think it was acne. There is a picture in this link (below) of a condition that LOOKS like acne, but isn't. From what I can see in these photos, it looks pretty freaking similar to your pics...
http://envisionacnecenter.com/skin-conditions-that-looks-like-acne/
If your condition is actually fungal based, oil cleansing could make it worse...you should see a doctor, especially if after more research you believe it's not actually acne.

MemberMember
(@killin_it)

Posted : 12/02/2016 12:19 am

I have them on my cheeks and forehead. I use curology and it has been bringing them to the surface. Check it out

MemberMember
(@choco2)

Posted : 12/02/2016 6:01 am

On 29/11/2016 at 9:36 PM, TheBean said:

There's no way of knowing if a more "natural" approach would help you or not...for some people it really helps, others not. (You could try.) For some people, diet and/or supplements makes a difference, others not. I suppose it depends on the cause(s).
How long have you been using that particular cleanser?
I shy away from anything that tells me that it will absorb oil or reduce oil, etc...long term, my skin starts producing even more oil and in the short term they are almost sure to break me out.

I've actually only been using my Neutrogena cleanser for one week, before I switched back to my regular be which is the Himalaya Herbals Neem Purifying facewash. I stopped using my moisturiser recently because I felt that it would just clog up my skin. I was wondering whether cutting dairy out of my diet would make a difference? I drink at least one cup of milk a day.

On 29/11/2016 at 7:56 PM, allymjoan said:

Do you use retinoid creams? How long have you been using accutane and how long did it take to see effects? I just wish there was a more natural method of getting rid of closed comedones! Also, have you cut dairy out of your diet? I heard that dairy really clogs up your pores. Thank you for the help!

MemberMember
(@thebean)

Posted : 12/02/2016 8:38 am

Yeah, I stopped using moisturizer for a while too...my skin was getting so overworked that it was becoming ultra sensitive and reacting to everything I put on it... Don't get so caught up in "natural" that you lose your good senses. Obviously, less chemicals are better, no one will argue that. But, asbestos is a natural product, doesn't make it good for you...nor does it mean that your natural products won't have a reaction or get acne from it. (I do use some all natural products also, fyi).
I've been using this site among others to help narrow down what triggers my skin, or is too harsh...
cosdna.com
It's not 100% accurate, so you have to do some research with it, but it's been helpful for me.
Also, something I heard about on this site that's been helpful for me is Glycolic Acid...I use a Peter Thomas Roth 10% concentration gel. It's been helping a lot (so long as I don't overdo it)...don't follow directions--it says use twice daily and that's way too much--twice a week at most.

Choco2 liked
MemberMember
(@naturalcure1)

Posted : 12/02/2016 3:05 pm

Check this out: http://thelovevitamin.com/