Notifications
Clear all

Roaccutane Log because aaaah?!

MemberMember
(@appiru)

Posted : 11/14/2016 1:44 pm

Introduction

After tackling my mild/moderate but persistent acne with creams, ointments, antibiotics for years, I decided to (more like finally) got on isotretinoin! For the longest time, my GP wouldn't even prescribe me antibiotics because of my other illnesses, which is... well, I get why now that I'm finally on accutane.

So, I'm currently 21 days into my treatment, and I'm seeing my dermatologist again in a week tomorrow! Really excited, even if it's only the first month! But I've had so many side effects that it's probably something I should log.This log is to mark my progress, what products I'm using and how they affect me, and hopefully something to look back on when these six months are over and I have the clear skin I've always wanted! Plus, my optician (yes) recommended I did this.

Background

I'm a 21 year oldcombination but mostly oily skin typed female with ulcerative colitis and diagnosed anxiety disorder. Basically, I'm exactly the type of person you probably shouldn't put on accutane, but I've tried everything they've given me and they've basically just went into last resort mode. I've had skin peels for months to try and help the acne like they said it would (it didn't), changed my skin care, exercised, dieted, nada. Duac, sertraline, I've probably done it. They finally took pity on me and let me go on it! My anxiety is not as bad as it used to be so I don't take medication anymore, however I occassionally get panic attacks and take diazapem when those occur.

Medication

• Isotretinoin (obviously) - 2 daily in the afternoon, 30mg in total 22/11 Update - 60mg, 3 a day afternoon
  • Asacol (mesalazine) - 3 daily in morning, evening and night. To maintain my ulcerative colitis, as I have been in remission for a year or so now, and the roaccutane has officially flared it up again. (I also need to stop eating bread but I'm hopeless and ate it today again.)
  • Dermol 500 - Not sure if I should count this, but it's a prescribed soap I use when washing my hands. I use it on my face now, too.
  • Hydocortisone acetate 1% w/w cream - 99% sure I should have ointment but this is what they gave me when I asked! For dry lips.
  • Viscotears Liquid Gel & Lacri-lube ointment - My eye is dying.

Make-up

• Nyx Pore Filler - I picked this up on whim and it's so good. My pores are huge and this really airbushes my make up!
  • Bareminerals Foundation in shade 'fair' -I conceal with the brush under my eyes and blemishes, then buff everywhere else. This is the only make up I can use that makes me feel comfortable because it's very light! Liquid foundations feel heavy on my oily skin, though now, my skin is obviously dry.
  • Garnier BB Cream for dry skin, AKA the pink one-Lately, I use this in the morning just on my red areas because I'm lazy and can moisturise through the day with this on. Coverage isn't great, but I've become apathetic to people noticing my acne.
  • Note: I'm cutting down on wearing make up as of late. My anxiety makes me very self aware but I'm conditioning myself.
  • Note 2: I pretty much haven't worn make up since the very start of roaccutane. I wore it once and that was on Christmas. I feel soooo bad, like I'm just leaving my make up to go out of date, but I want to reward myself and see how good it looks by the very end.

Skin care

• Anne French's Deep Cleansing Milk - I feel like this removes my make up it better than micellar water and I just like how fresh it makes me feel!
  • Nivea 2 in 1 Cleanser & Toner - Feels nice and doesn't lather. I work early mornings so I'm too lazy to do a seperate toner.
  • La Roche Posay Effaclar Cleaner -I was recommended this way in the beginning and was hesitant because of the price, but I'm trying it out and it's super light weight. Because I'm hesitant, I use it first, then--
  • Dermol 500 Lotion - I used this way before I got on roaccutane and it maintained my skin kiiiind of well, but went off it because I wasn't sure if I should use something doctor prescribed on my skin while on it. Either way, I use this after the Effaclar just to be careful. I also use it on my dry spots or just spots in general and it sort of helps reduce inflammation and redness.
  • Nivea Gentle Exfoliating Scrub - 2 or 3 times a week, depending on how my skin feels in the morning! This is very light and refreshing - doesn't make my skin feel sore either.
  • Palmer's Coca Butter Formula - Okay, I use this really weirdly LOL. I put it on after exfoliating because it just makes my skin feel soft and pampered, but I immediately wash it off. I mostly just like the smell, and my skin feels healthier somehow. I don't keep it on because it clogs your pores if it does absorb.
  • E45 Derma Protect Moisturising Lotion - Biiig healthy tub of moisturiser! Works great, and it's a pump which is a lot more hygienic.
  • Simply Sensitive Hyrating Eye Cream with aloe vera - Just a cheap eye cream I picked up. Cannot feel a thing with it, which is good.
  • Heliocare Advanced Gel SPF 50 Sunscreen - I used this back when I was given a specific routine at a skin clinic, and it's the only thing I continued to purchase.
  • Nivea Rich Moisturising Day Cream (Dry & Sensitive skin) - I carry this around in my bag if I'm feeling particularly dry when out.
  • Vanity Planet Ultimate Skin Spa - Got this yesterday and plan to use it every day! The silicone brush is so nice but I'm going to try the others too since it seems too harsh for in the morning before I'm going to work. I've also been told you have to use all three, but that's too much time in the morning.

In the mornings, I use the cleanser & toner, sometimes exfoliate, then the E45 and sunscreen. At night, I use everything in the order it's listed.

Side effects so far

• Dry skin - I actually have very combination skin, so... I was used to flakiness. I just moisturize lots to help it.
  • Dry lips - Sort of. My lips are dry, yeah, but it's around my lower lip at the bottom where it's flaky, raw and sore. I used the hydrocortisone cream on this, then apply lots of Palmer's Cocoa Butter Dark ChoclateLip Balm. It's very moisturising and it tastes great. (sweats)
  • Joint pain - Mostly my wrists, knees and ankles. I usually remedy this by just... sleeping more... even though I sleep a lot as it is.
  • Mild headaches - I never ever ever got headaches until now. It was a blessing. I suppose that karma hit me.
  • Ulcerative colitis flare ups - My stomach/abdomen often hurts a looot lately. I've been told by my GP that this is very rare but to be honest, I expected it. I was prescribed Asacol on the 11/11 for this. I also make sure not to eat as much bread.
  • Eye dryness - I wasn't expecting this to be so painful but my eye was bloodshot, inflamed and god did it hurt.
  • Nosebleeds - Sooo irritating. It's less bleeding and more getting clogged inside my nose which means I wake up in the morning with dry blood and finding it hard to breathe. Tackling this with vaseline but it doesn't really help. As I write this, I'm having a nosebleed.
  • I'll update this along the way.

So... yeah! Feel free to post and chat. I'll just be updating this daily or bi-daily. I'll post photos when I remember to take them, but for now, I'm trying to stay ignorant to my acne so I don't give myself a heart attack when I look in the mirror LOL

MemberMember
(@appiru)

Posted : 11/15/2016 2:51 pm

Day 22!
My eyes were so painfully dry, but after a few lubricative drops, they definitely feel a lot better! I'm seeing the optician again on the 19th, so we'll see how that goes. Had a very lazy today, didn't wash my face since I think letting my active break outs dry up some is actually speeding up the process of them disappearing. I think I have around three activespots right now? One of them is pretty sore but it's drying up nicely. There's one cyst by my nose that is slowly doing down, but it was really huge -- embarrassingly so! Praying it flattens within the next couple of days - I have such a busy weekend.

MemberMember
(@appiru)

Posted : 11/17/2016 8:44 am

Day 24! SOOOO dry! going to have to exfoliate hardcore today.
I just woke up so excuse the mess fhdbd.  Skin is clearing up sort of!DSC_0023.JPG14793898946822089605532.jpg1479389950378272668687.jpg

MemberMember
(@appiru)

Posted : 11/19/2016 6:54 pm

Day... 26? I think. Got myself one of those little pill boxes since I'm taking quite a few now at different times, so I no longer have the roaccutane in the box and cannot tell what day I'm on anymore.
Decided to stop using Palmer's Body Butter on my face; it was a pretty bad idea to begin with. I was well aware it would clog pores, but I seemed to think it wouldn't do too much damage. To test this out, I kept off it for four days and tried it again on the fifth. In those four days, I had no break outs, just healing, and on the 6th day after I used it, I immediately broke out above my lip. I havent used it since and I haven't gotten any new spots! Lesson learned!
Skin is behaving, but my joints are soooo painful...? They're cracking lots, argh.

MemberMember
(@appiru)

Posted : 11/22/2016 9:22 am

Breakout is getting painful again...  but only on one side of my face?! like, what the heck. DSC_0034.JPGDSC_0033.JPG

MemberMember
(@appiru)

Posted : 11/25/2016 12:24 pm

Day 31, I think. I really need to figure out my days more often.
On Tuesday, I went for my appointment with the derm! She didn't go too much into how my skin looked, just asked how I felt about it, which is... pretty good? Aside from my break outs, it's really smoothing out and my pores are getting a little smaller. I've definitely noticed the lacking of blackheads on my nose.
Also, my hair. I haven't washed it in days and it's still dry. Gross, I know, but she told me to leave it as long as I can so I'm pretty chuffed about that. It's nice to get up for work at 6am and not have to wake up half an hour early to wash my hair.
Dosage was also up'd! We're at 60mg now, baby >:3

MemberMember
(@appiru)

Posted : 12/07/2016 2:06 pm

Day 45! I had a pretty good streak of clearing skin, but woke up with two spots on my chin in the past two days, so I'm pretty upset about that... urgh. Otherwise my skin is feeling pretty smooth aside from that area, however there's a scabby scaley patch on my cheek that's really tiresome now, and has been there for a long time.

MemberMember
(@appiru)

Posted : 12/09/2016 7:21 am

Day 47.
There's a huge break out on my chin that's really killing my confidence aaaa. I wouldn't care too much but my skin is suddenly really oily again and it won't get dry? I've completely stopped moisturising in attempt to let it dry but it's not working and I'm concerned that my oiliness is what's making me break out.

Uuugh, please clear up soon...

MemberMember
(@appiru)

Posted : 12/21/2016 11:26 am

Day 60! The break out on my chin suddenly got horrifically worse when I got home from the dermatologist yesterday. I have four active spots there now, which is upsetting and really killing my confidence. I don't even want to go to work... or at least, I feel like I'm going to have to start wearing make up again. I know it will get better, I'm just being silly. 

Anyway, yesterday marked the end of month 2 on accutane! I've been told it's around the third and fourth month where everything starts to clear up, so here is hoping... picture time. The one on my cheek is not a spot, the dermatologist thinks it is an infection so he gave me something to use on it. It hasn't cleared up in a month and is constantly flaky when the rest of my face isn't, so he thinks an infection is what is stopping it from healing. 

The spots on my chin are really painful and cystic, though... augh.

DSC_0011.JPGDSC_0008.JPG

MemberMember
(@destroyed)

Posted : 12/29/2016 9:09 pm

You are so beautiful

MemberMember
(@appiru)

Posted : 01/22/2017 6:18 pm

On 30/12/2016 at 2:09 AM, Gunner23 said:

You are so beautiful

Thank you so much!!

Also, Day 92 and... skin is not really looking any different from last update, which is why I haven't really updated?! My chin is looking horrible, and the cluster break outI got a few posts back on my cheek has left a nasty, nasty scar that's basically dry no matter what. I've really badly damaged it, urgh...
Dermatologist said this is my last month, and I'm terrified. Might have to argue with her to let me stay on it longer.

MemberMember
(@destroyed)

Posted : 01/24/2017 1:23 pm

On 2017-01-23 at 0:18 AM, appiru said:
Thank you so much!!

Also, Day 92 and... skin is not really looking any different from last update, which is why I haven't really updated?! My chin is looking horrible, and the cluster break outI got a few posts back on my cheek has left a nasty, nasty scar that's basically dry no matter what. I've really badly damaged it, urgh...
Dermatologist said this is my last month, and I'm terrified. Might have to argue with her to let me stay on it longer.

Your skin is looking good

MemberMember
(@appiru)

Posted : 02/03/2017 8:47 am

On 24/01/2017 at 6:23 PM, Destroyed said:
On 22/01/2017 at 11:18 PM, appiru said:

Your skin is looking good

Thank you! It's definitely not bad, haha.

Day 104! The other day I purchased the Vanity Planet Ultimate Skin Spa and it feels really good! I've had about two washes with it and my skin is looking really clean. I'm still getting spots and have pretty ew scars, along with that scabby part still being there, but it's sloowly clearing up...
11 days left! Let's hope she'll let me stay on the full 6 months.
Only downside is that the inside of my nose is sooo painfully dry. My nose is constantly bleeding or clotting. My lips are also getting pretty bad, especially the corners cracking, but I've been religiously applying hydrocortisone cream. I also think I'm getting random red patches which then turn into spots...? They're kind of weird, and I'm not sure what's going on there, but eh.

MemberMember
(@appiru)

Posted : 02/23/2017 7:12 pm

Day 122!

I was supposed to come off roaccutanetwo days ago. The doctors only wanted me to stay on four months, but as it is, there's been a huge mix up with my appointment, and I have to wait until next Tuesday to really ask to stay on it some more... because of this mix up, I have no medication for a week, but I think it'll be okay.

However,it's going well! On Tuesday, I will post some progress pictures, if they let me stay on it! The new brush I've been using is great, my skin feels so much cleaner!
Nosebleeds are still pretty bad... dry noses suck.
Mm, what else... oh, my hair was reeeally dry the other day, so I haven't washed it since after putting on a nice hair mask. It is still very dry, no oil whatsoever, and it's been days! Kind of unsettling, but I think it'll be okay.
Here's to hoping the dermatologist listens! I've still gotten spots this month so...?!
MemberMember
(@appiru)

Posted : 03/11/2017 8:40 am

Day 137!
I think.
All is... well. Being off the accutane actually helped, I think, in terms of you know, no break outs, but they put me back it on it for a month, so I broke out a little. Not really. I got one naaaasty pimple but I'm sure it'll be fine even though I picked it because I'm dumb.
Issues lie in joint pain. It is seriously painful now, not gonna lie. My work has been needing me more and my knee gives out after 3 hours of working- like, completely hurts to the point where I end up limping.Really wanting this month to end and hope I don't get any more pimples.
Has anyone else noticed their dark circles get worse? Hmmm.
Pictures!
14892397998772051902293.jpg
14892399610842104999749.jpg

MemberMember
(@appiru)

Posted : 03/12/2017 8:17 am

Day 138!

A lot has changed since my first post. I don't use nearly as many stuff, but I think a lot of people tend to go overboard in the beginning, plus I'm just naturally lazy. I decided to do this little update with everything I'm using/experiencing at the moment.

Medication

• Isotretinoin - 60mg, 3 a day afternoon
  • Dermol 500 - Technically a medication since it's prescribed by my doctor.
  • Glucosamine, MSM + chondroitin- Joint pain care that isn't reeeally working to be honest. But I'm going to be persistent.
  • Note: I should still be using my Asacol but lol I am self destructive and taking that many pills a day is not something I wanna do on top of constantly taking painkillers for joint pain.

Make-up

• Nyx Pore Filler - Only the pores on my nose are big because of blackheads that used to be there.
  • Bareminerals Foundation in shade 'fair' -Doesn't work well with how dry my skin is right now as powder, y'know, clings to dry spots, but that's because of the accutane.
  • Note: Barely wear make up, pretty much only to events and as I never go out, that is... never.

Skin care

• La Roche Posay Effaclar Cleaner -Really, really soft on your skin. Doesn't even feel like you're putting anything on your skin really, just a lump of... thick liquid. Feels like the Dermol, but softer. I love it a LOT.
  • Dermol 500 Lotion - Used after the Effaclar. Like I said, I've always used it, and it's worked for me in the past to keep break outs down. It's just super mild. I believe it's used for eczema so you can imagine it's good for redness. Use it as a moisturiser too during the day, by putting it in a little bottle I can crry in my bag.
  • E45 Derma Protect Moisturising Lotion - Still great.
  • Heliocare Advanced Gel SPF 50 Sunscreen - Still use it straight after the moisturiser. It's getting sunnier, too.
  • Vanity Planet Ultimate Skin Spa - I truly love this and believe it's evening out my skin texture again. Since this generally exfoliates for you, and I use it with my Effaclar and Dermol, I don't use an exfoliator anymore.
  • Note: I use the Cleansing brush with Effaclar, Silicone brush with Dermol, and only use the exfoliating brush (with Dermol) when I'm not going out the next day or if I'm in a bath because it truly strips your skin and can leave you a bit raw and red.

Side effects at the moment

• Dry skin & inner nose - Cheeks and chin are always dry. Inner nose is very dry, but no longer bleeding.
  • Dry lips - These bad boys are always dry, no matter what. I stick to my Palmers Cocoa Butter Formula for this because1) I like the chocolate and 2) It's the only one I actually like and that moistens my lips. I've tried a ton but no LOL I have like 3 of these lying around the house.
  • Severe joint pain - Sitting at my desk actually hurts, I have to have a makeshift leg rest just for my legs to not hurt. My left knee tends to give out during the day too, like, pains so bad it hurts to even lift it. I'm an artist with my Cintiq at my desk, and even raising my arm to draw for too long hurts, which really impacts my workflow.
  • Ulcerative colitis flare ups - Don't really get pains in the stomach anymore but you know, the general 'issue' with the illness is still very relevantand ouchie.

That's all! My next (and last) appointment is the 28th.

MemberMember
(@graciep)

Posted : 03/12/2017 11:01 am

2 hours ago, appiru said:
Vanity Planet Ultimate Skin Spa - I truly love this and believe it's evening out my skin texture again. Since this generally exfoliates for you, and I use it with my Effaclar and Dermol, I don't use an exfoliator anymore.

hi!! also a mild moderate accutane situation this is my second course of accutane i probably shouldn't have ever taken it in the first place but i was young and just trusted my doctor even though i only had a 2 or 3 pimples a month but then it came back in the form of closed comedonal mild moderatish acne that was worse than anything I've ever had. anyways, I'm five months in and don't have the results i was promised. I'm still breaking out and not even that dry. because of the clogging nature of my skin i can't use moisturizer but its not like my skin is dying for it either. anyways, all thats mostly left is just minor red marks and stubborn closed comedones/clogged pores that turn into big inflamed bumps if they're not resolved so my derm recommended a skin brush like the clarisonic but the vanity planet brush is cheaper, and I've heard better things about it so i just ordered that one. Do you notice a difference with those types of bumps? (if you even have any) like what specific advantages have you noticed? and do you use it twice a day morning and night or just once?

btw I'm on 60 mg a day too and weigh 110

MemberMember
(@appiru)

Posted : 03/12/2017 12:13 pm

1 hour ago, GracieP said:
hi!! also a mild moderate accutane situation this is my second course of accutane i probably shouldn't have ever taken it in the first place but i was young and just trusted my doctor even though i only had a 2 or 3 pimples a month but then it came back in the form of closed comedonal mild moderatish acne that was worse than anything I've ever had. anyways, I'm five months in and don't have the results i was promised. I'm still breaking out and not even that dry. because of the clogging nature of my skin i can't use moisturizer but its not like my skin is dying for it either. anyways, all thats mostly left is just minor red marks and stubborn closed comedones/clogged pores that turn into big inflamed bumps if they're not resolved so my derm recommended a skin brush like the clarisonic but the vanity planet brush is cheaper, and I've heard better things about it so i just ordered that one. Do you notice a difference with those types of bumps? (if you even have any) like what specific advantages have you noticed? and do you use it twice a day morning and night or just once? 

btw I'm on 60 mg a day too and weigh 110

Hello! Sorry to hear that happened to you! I do believe that using a brush definitely cleanses your skin better and gets into those clogged pores after they've eventually deflated a little, stopping them from coming back. It has made my skin softer because it exfoliates it well, too!
I did have a lot of raised texture on my cheeks from spots in the past, and I mentioned it a while back, but I had a pretty nasty infection on my cheek that sort of felt scabby and sore. I had this for two months. Since I started using the Vanity Spa, that has completely disappeared. My chin is taking a while as I still break out there recently, but my cheeks have smoothened out considerably!

As for how I use it, I don't actually wash my face at night, just the morning, because I feel like if I pay too much attention to my skin, it gets tired. 
I use it once in the morning, the cleansing brush and then the silicone brush, and that's it. If I'm having a bath, I'll use the exfoliating brush to really get in deep.

This is the scabby patch around the end of January: (sorry for the bad lighting but it does emphasis the redness at least) 
DSC_0005_8.JPG
I purchased the Vanity spa in February and this is my cheek now and chin! It's the same cheek, I just somehow flipped it....... somehow. 
DSC_0061.JPG