Notifications
Clear all

(Black) Teenage Female on Accutane

MemberMember
(@jannalise)

Posted : 11/03/2016 9:47 am

*The only reason why I put that I am Black in my title is because there arent that many black people on accutane. And since our skin is different (from dark spots to tanning) I just wanted to help out others. *

My regimen is so simple: SunBum sunscreen (my dermatologist told me I didnt have to use sunscreen since I am black but little does she know that my face end up getting a reddish undertone when i went out in the blazing sun with retin-A.
Cetaphil Lotion(i remember I used the lotion and it was so greasy on my oily face so im guessing it will work like a charm on dry skin.)Lip Balm, Dove White Soap Bar.
I am a little timid to wash my face with the soap bar so im just going to wash my face with water only.
Before accutane I was using antibiotics, retin-a,and over the counter face wash. The pills work so well for me , when all of a sudden it stop working and Ive been breaking out all over my body & face ever since.

MemberMember
(@alyleiii)

Posted : 11/07/2016 1:00 pm

Just a word of advice. Don't use Dove soap. It's filled with irritants and coconut acids and made me have the worst forehead breakout of my life. I have no idea how anyone uses this soap here without major acne...perhaps they're just lucky, since it's awful. Please try something like a soap-free/oil-free cleanser that will not dry you out. It's actually best to just wash your face with cleanser at night and use warm water in the AM since you should still be clean from the night before. [That's why it's good to change your pillowcase every other day, so your face can remain clean overnight.] I can't give any recommendations for moisturizers but I would be careful you get a thin one that won't clog pores. I remember the Cetaphil wash was kind of heavy.

MemberMember
(@jannalise)

Posted : 11/11/2016 8:12 pm

On November 7, 2016 at 0:00 PM, cloudydreamer said:

Just a word of advice. Don't use Dove soap. It's filled with irritants and coconut acids and made me have the worst forehead breakout of my life. I have no idea how anyone uses this soap here without major acne...perhaps they're just lucky, since it's awful. Please try something like a soap-free/oil-free cleanser that will not dry you out. It's actually best to just wash your face with cleanser at night and use warm water in the AM since you should still be clean from the night before. [That's why it's good to change your pillowcase every other day, so your face can remain clean overnight.] I can't give any recommendations for moisturizers but I would be careful you get a thin one that won't clog pores. I remember the Cetaphil wash was kind of heavy.

Thank you for your advice! My mom actually stop me from using dove soap the second day because someone told her how harmful it is, so ive been using ivory soap since then and it has made a huge difference. I do want to use a face wash but my doctor wont let me (warm water is enough for me she claims). Thanks for your tips though!

MemberMember
(@jannalise)

Posted : 11/11/2016 9:50 pm

Day 9: I was debating about when I should update day 7, day 8, or day 10. I couldnt wait any longer because theres so many things I have to say. One, i got sick (respirtory infection at that) and had to get on medication while I was still on accutane. Nothing really happen! Two, im not on birth control (not planning on having sex right now) and my period is 7 days late! My period is normally 1-2 days late but 7? That is very odd and not only that but my breasts has been so swollen, its tender to touch. I have no idea if its apart of me not having my period. Third, my face isnt as greasy as it used to be. My face used to be soo greasy you could use my oul to fry fries with (ik disguisting) its still kind of oily but not too bad. I havent really put lotion on my face that much since unless my face is a lil flaky. Fourth, my pimples are disappearing and getting smaller. Fifth, my white heads are protuding , im so glad i brought a black head extractor tool. I use this tool to get the white heads out yet it still comes back (remember my face used to be so oily.)all in all. Accutane is doing really well for me!

MemberMember
(@alyleiii)

Posted : 11/11/2016 10:36 pm

2 hours ago, Jannalise said:
On 11/7/2016 at 1:00 PM, cloudydreamer said:

Thank you for your advice! My mom actually stop me from using dove soap the second day because someone told her how harmful it is, so ive been using ivory soap since then and it has made a huge difference. I do want to use a face wash but my doctor wont let me (warm water is enough for me she claims). Thanks for your tips though!

You're welcome. Usually bar soaps have too many chemicals and just throw your ph balance off. I'd stick to a light oil-free foaming cleanser. Washing with water has always made me worse persoally, as it lets oil/gunk build up on my face that clogs my pores. Simple facewash is good.

MemberMember
(@jannalise)

Posted : 11/16/2016 9:01 am

Not really an update just a log in on side effects: my body is SORE. My back has been aching, my neck hurts, and potassium pills used to help my leg cramps but now? Its rejecting it. I know accutane is suppose to make you sore but my goodness! Another thing, my iris is getting lighter- close up (with out sunlight shinning into my eyes) I can see my pupil. I can even see the brownness of my iris. Im not for sure if its because of accutane.

MemberMember
(@jannalise)

Posted : 11/25/2016 2:39 pm

Day 23: my body quit aching with the help of drinking tons of water. I stop drinking sodas and now even when i drink just one can- my face gets these tiny dots somewhere on my face so water it is. My period finally came a day or two later from the post that I made about my period not coming. My face is much clearer. I still have those white tiny dots(white heads).i honestly want to get a facial mask to clean it but i shall not until I talk to my derm. My face looks so much better! I am pleased. My lips are getting all of the dryness. Its so cracked and i stay applying 3 different lip balms on it. Chapstick Total Hydration works so well! Also i was worried about my hair since black people's hair needs oil- i havent seen a downside of it. It is less oily , i do have more dandruffs but my hair looks really nice despite that. Im going to buy Aussie moist conditioner to keep my scalp from flaking.

MemberMember
(@jannalise)

Posted : 01/17/2017 10:02 pm

Month 3 Update: my face has gotten so much better. But the black heads are more visible unfortunately/: my body doesnt ache, dandrufs are gone thanks to T/Gel Shampoo. My blemishes are fading! I use alove vera gel every other day. I find doing it every day made my skin become olier. Not for sure if its accutane but ive lost weight and cant seem to gain it back(im already under weight) it could be something else. Things are going so great! love my face!

MemberMember
(@acneprone22)

Posted : 01/18/2017 8:24 am

You think the aloe vera gel made you oily? Mmm I buy the acutal leaf. And use the aloe vera juice or whatever you call from the leaf to put on my face. My face has always been oily though

MemberMember
(@jannalise)

Posted : 02/10/2017 2:05 pm

On 1/18/2017 at 7:24 AM, AcneProne22 said:

You think the aloe vera gel made you oily? Mmm I buy the acutal leaf. And use the aloe vera juice or whatever you call from the leaf to put on my face. My face has always been oily though

Yes I do because when i started to do every other day it toned down. In fact cetaphil lotion is starting to become too greasy for me. ITs like my skin loves light moisturizer or something.

MemberMember
(@jannalise)

Posted : 04/16/2017 8:02 pm

Update: im officially done with accutane! My 6 months is up. My face is acne free but i do have uneveness/dark spots. I am going to be taking spearmint capsules because i heard they work well for reducing oilyness (just incase(. Im using a face wash (non-acne face wash) and aveeno postively radiant moisturizer. *crosses fingers* i'll check in more to update my post accutane journey!