Acne

MemberMember
(@calvin_saitama)

Posted : 10/21/2016 3:00 pm

Hi, I'm 16 this year and I have quite a oily skin and acne. Sometimes, I wonder do some people mind if we had acne. Like are we ever not going to have someone to love us just because we look ugly? And I want to ask if my skin will get better because I'm only 16 and I don't want to have acne forever. Tips anyone? :( Thanks in advanced. 

MemberMember
(@belladonna16)

Posted : 10/21/2016 6:12 pm

I can't recall ever meeting someone who had never had a breakout at least once in their life. I think acne is something a lot of people can relate to, but depending on how bad their breakouts are some people may not fully understand the extent of it compared to someone who had more severe acne. Honestly, if someone doesn't want to get to know someone simply because they have acne is completely their loss since it doesn't define you a person. I found as you get older more people don't pay it much mind because there are so many more important things to focus on, and pointing out someone's acne would just be ridiculous and 100% uncalled for.

Everyone's skin is different, but it's probably safe to say you won't have acne forever. Teenage acne usually clears up as you get older since your body starts balancing everything out. I had a friend in high school who had bad acne since she was 12, but when she turned 17 her skin just cleared up and she had the clearest skin in the class from then on. Sadly we're not all as lucky as that and still get acne the older we get. I'm 19 and still get random mild breakouts from school stress and what-not so I understand the struggle. 

From my experience, taking a natural route to treat acne worked the best. Using a bunch of products with benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid etc usually ended up causing more harm than good in my case, but sometimes you need the extra punch they give if your acne is really stubborn. The best bet is to make a skin regime that at the bare minimum consists of at least a cleanser, an exfoliater, and a moisturizer. Cetaphil is is very nice cleanser that is good for sensitive skin and works well. I also found Desert Essence's Thoroughly Clean Face Wash (the original) worked well but could sometimes dry out your skin if you used it too much. I'm currently using Avalon Organic's Vitamin C Renewal gel cleanser to target some hyper pigmentation and I think it's been working great so far. Another good idea is to try some face masks. They're awesome and make your skin feel very refreshed and clean, and can be a great way to help control oil. I've used Origins Charcoal Mask for years now and I still love the clean feel it gives you each time. I do think you should look into some other products like topicals, antibiotics, and doctor/dermatologist prescribed products (depending on how severe your acne is) since the natural products or home remedies don't work for everyone or aren't strong enough. This site has their own acne kit which gets great reviews from a lot of people so it's definitely worth checking out as well.

Best of luck! :)

MemberMember
(@calvin_saitama)

Posted : 10/22/2016 1:14 pm

Thanks for telling me this! Much appreciated! So what you're trying to imply is it's just my hormones acting up and having acne at this age is just part of puberty?

MemberMember
(@belladonna16)

Posted : 10/22/2016 7:26 pm

It could be! That's usually the case for a lot of people in their teenage years, but like I said, everyone's skin is different. Sometimes acne doesn't just go away on it's own once you hit 18 or older. Sometimes it could be something in your diet as well. When you're only 16 though you shouldn't be worrying about if it will stay forever, since it is something that usually just comes with being a teenager.

MemberMember
(@calvin_saitama)

Posted : 10/27/2016 5:04 pm

Well, I'm very self concious of my acne which really brings my self esteem down. I get really paranoid of what people might think of me.