Notifications
Clear all

PANCREATITIS/GALLSTONES CAUSED BY YAMSIN AND SPIRO

MemberMember
(@luanndanielle)

Posted : 08/16/2016 10:54 am

Hi all,

I started taking Yasmin back in August 2015 for hormonal acne and later on introduced Spironolactone.I ended up in A&E/ER with stomach pain. It wasn't until January 2016 I was diagnosed as having gallstones and a 'contracted' gallbladder.

Medical professionals were aware of the medication I was taking and said nothing so I unknowingly continued taking them both until I was rushed to hospital in June 2016 with severe abdominal pain and thinking I was dying. Turns out I had acute pancreatitis and I was hospitalised for two weeks. I decided to stop taking any medication until I was much better. It's now 2.5 months later and I'm finally having my gallbladder out in a few days so I decided to look online to find out if it was safe to start taking Yasmin and Spiro again.

It turns out that gallbladder disease and gallstones are a known side effect of Yasmin and acute pancreatitis is also a known side effect of Yasmin and Spiro!!

I wanted to warn anyone using these meds. Acute pancreatitis is VERY dangerous. If it becomes severe, it is potentially fatal. 30% of people with severe pancreatitis die from organ failure! That's a massive amount of people! I had a pretty bad case and was extremely unwell but I'm thankful I survived. I am now still dealing with the complications, awaiting surgery, am on a severely restricted diet and not allowed to touch alcohol.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be careful. If you have already been diagnosed with gallstones and take Yasmin or Spiro, seek your doctors advice. It could prove fatal otherwise.