Notifications
Clear all

Why has my acne got so much worse???

MemberMember
(@soniaskyee)

Posted : 07/29/2016 6:37 am

Hi guys,

I have been suffering with what began as mild acne since I was about 16. At the time I didn't even know I had acne and my doctor prescribed me tetracycline which I look for about 2 years and worked wonders until the end of 6th form - my skin was pretty much completely clear! I continued taking the antibiotic on and off for the first two years of university and stopped taking it between my first and second year - my skin was still pretty clear so I didn't feel the need to try any other acne medication. However towards the end of my second year I went to Swaziland on a uni trip. My skin had been gradually getting worse but even whilst was in Swaziland I was comfortable enough not to wear make up. Eventually after a couple of months of being back I went to the doctor who prescribed me erythromycin tablets and differin. My skin has been so much worse since. I barely used the differin and thought that maybe the break outs were to do with my foundation that I bought after Swaziland.

I stopped using the foundation and my parents said it looked a lot better - but still pretty severe! The past week I have been using differin every night and my skin is probably abit worse than usual. I can't look at myself anymore I'm so on edge about what I eat in case it makes my skin worse and am terrified of using make up in case it makes it worse but also not confident at all without it. I have also got breakouts in new places like along the side of my face between my eyes and hairline, jaw and at the back of my jawline on my neck. I feel disgusting.

My question is, is it worth taking the differin? If the tablets I took before were fine do I NEED the differin if its potentially making my skin wrose? I have no idea why I'm getting these new breakouts and my skin seems to have changed completely.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thank you!

MemberMember
(@acnelondon)

Posted : 07/31/2016 5:54 pm

You need to talk to your doctor about these changes, better yet a dermatologist, as only they will be able to possibly know what has caused this change. I am currently dealing with a similar situation - after coming back from Asia last year I have had a constant breakout on one cheek which never happened before and I cant find the reason nor the cure (however my acne may be worse than yours as I am also on the pill since erythromycin stopped working for me yeaaars ago). Also, any information about diet affecting acne should be ignored, there is no substantial evidence that any foods from dairy, chocolate and all the classic myths actually cause acne.

Basically, talk to your doctor before making a change to your regime, especially as it is antibiotics you are dealing with. Good luck!