Notifications
Clear all

Avoiding the sun and using sunscreen like crazy

MemberMember
(@unspecified)

Posted : 07/20/2016 8:46 pm

Because of scarring/hyperpigmentation and fear of it getting worse?
I hate it when well-intentioned people tell me to just "wear sunscreen", as if it's that's simple. As if you don't have to reapply it throughout the day or worry about it coming off if you sweat or touch your face. Half of my daily anxiety is regarding whether or not my sunscreen is working, should I reapply now, did I put on enough. I use a physical + chemical combo (Elta MD UV Clear with 9% zinc oxide and 7.5% octinoxate), and some people say if it's physical you don't have to reapply, but some people say you still have to reapply, which drives me crazy because I just want to know for sure what the heck to do!
I haven't been going out much this summer, and mostly when I do it's in the evening when the sun is less strong and setting.
Also, I don't understand how people can just cover up their hyperpigmentation with makeup that has NO SPF and go out. Someone explain this? Plus, I've seen and talked to lots of people with scarring or dark marks, and NO ONE is vigilant about SPF and UVA like I am, most of them don't seem to use sunscreen at all and the ones who do will put it on once and never reapply the whole day.
Please tell me it's not just me...

MemberMember
(@needledack)

Posted : 07/24/2016 10:47 pm

I usually put on sunscreen at the beginning of the day and don't reapply as I'm usually inside for most of the day. Put it on, if you're paranoid reapply after 2 hours, but if you're going out when the sun is setting, you should prob be fine with just one application. Like I said, if you're paranoid, reapply. If you get PIH despite all your efforts, it is what it is. We are all going to get wrinkly and fucked up eventually. Just enjoy life, if your friends are judging you for it, find some less image-obssessed friends. Good luck out there.

MemberMember
(@welcomesmirk)

Posted : 07/25/2016 11:03 pm

Chemical sunscreens tend to cause problems for people and are next to useless unless you keep a bottle in your bag.

MemberMember
(@eyeback)

Posted : 08/02/2016 10:09 am

I want to use sunscreen but if do im going to break out like crazy , its like feeding my acne so i just wear a cap all the time

MemberMember
(@alexanderj86)

Posted : 08/02/2016 11:31 am

I actually have to get a bit more in the sun. Limited exposure may work for your skin.