Notifications
Clear all

Crowd data driven path to lesser acne

MemberMember
(@acnejesus)

Posted : 07/17/2016 12:12 pm

Hello :)

I have an Idea how to fight acne together.

Too much have we tried different things and failed. Too much have we read different health articles only to find confusion and uncertainty.

I propose to shift gears, I propose to stop thinking what might help, I propose to stop trying to understand the cause and instead take the part of math and raw data.

I seek to give you the answer to this question: "What has helped to other people in my age, my race, my gender, my acne severity, my whatever?" It interests you and me, because I am no longer willing to spend years to experiment with my health to see if whatever might help, I think you feel the same.

Here is how we do it: We collect data, we collect everything of any importance:
* Food choices
* Supplements
* Stress levels
* Medication
* Other lifestyle choices
We collect this data in real time, and we store that in our phones. You eat, you register that in the app, you take medication, you do exercise, take a shower, you make a habit of checking that in your phone. You also give your daily info of your acne level. When all the data is saved, it is then pushed to a dedicated server (might even be a cluster) that I will set up.
We do this for a long time, not just a week or a month, we do it for at least 4 months, but hopefully longer, and every day.

As we keep doing this, more and more data is being collected. In this data, we will see that some people of our race, sex, age, acne severity, etc, have gotten better. We can then take a look at what have they done, and we can check if whatever they have done has helped anybody else, if yes, we could largely benefit from that information.

I have some Android programming and data engineering experience, so I can make a large part of this system, but not all. I will need help. Most of all I will need people submitting their data.

The end goal would be to make a website, where you can fill in some of your data, like sex, age, race, acne severity, etc and see what has helped the most for other people like you, not like a biased review, but as a percentage of probability that the thing others have done will help you too, so that you can make a crowd data based decision on your further treatment.

So what do you think? Would you be willing to submit your data daily? Would you be willing to do this for months, so that others might benefit from your data? Should I make this system and is there anybody willing and able to help me with it?

Whith this I want to help, you and myself, I want acne to become a lesser part in our lifes. I do not, however, have recources, I am quite poor. I might set up a Patreon, or other ways for you to support this project, if you believe in it.

MonroeQT liked
MemberMember
(@monroeqt)

Posted : 07/17/2016 6:07 pm

I think your concept is valid, and innovative. You should go for it. :)

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 07/17/2016 9:05 pm

8 hours ago, AcneJesus said:

Hello :)

I have an Idea how to fight acne together.

Too much have we tried different things and failed. Too much have we read different health articles only to find confusion and uncertainty.

I propose to shift gears, I propose to stop thinking what might help, I propose to stop trying to understand the cause and instead take the part of math and raw data.

I seek to give you the answer to this question: "What has helped to other people in my age, my race, my gender, my acne severity, my whatever?" It interests you and me, because I am no longer willing to spend years to experiment with my health to see if whatever might help, I think you feel the same.

Here is how we do it: We collect data, we collect everything of any importance:
* Food choices
* Supplements
* Stress levels
* Medication
* Other lifestyle choices
We collect this data in real time, and we store that in our phones. You eat, you register that in the app, you take medication, you do exercise, take a shower, you make a habit of checking that in your phone. You also give your daily info of your acne level. When all the data is saved, it is then pushed to a dedicated server (might even be a cluster) that I will set up.
We do this for a long time, not just a week or a month, we do it for at least 4 months, but hopefully longer, and every day.

As we keep doing this, more and more data is being collected. In this data, we will see that some people of our race, sex, age, acne severity, etc, have gotten better. We can then take a look at what have they done, and we can check if whatever they have done has helped anybody else, if yes, we could largely benefit from that information.

I have some Android programming and data engineering experience, so I can make a large part of this system, but not all. I will need help. Most of all I will need people submitting their data.

The end goal would be to make a website, where you can fill in some of your data, like sex, age, race, acne severity, etc and see what has helped the most for other people like you, not like a biased review, but as a percentage of probability that the thing others have done will help you too, so that you can make a crowd data based decision on your further treatment.

So what do you think? Would you be willing to submit your data daily? Would you be willing to do this for months, so that others might benefit from your data? Should I make this system and is there anybody willing and able to help me with it?

Whith this I want to help, you and myself, I want acne to become a lesser part in our lifes. I do not, however, have recources, I am quite poor. I might set up a Patreon, or other ways for you to support this project, if you believe in it.

*like*