Notifications
Clear all

My acne keeps getting worse?!

MemberMember
(@jeanm02)

Posted : 06/26/2016 2:13 am

Recently my acne has been getting worse so I've started using more acne products and washing my face 3 times a day because I have oily skin, but nothing is working and my acne keeps getting worse. I've been getting way more pimples around my face and blackheads but mostly on my nose. I break out the most in between my eyebrows and near my hairline, but recently I have been getting pimples on my chin. Any product suggestions or tips? Update: I exfoliate everyday, and use a cleanser everyday but do my full routine every other day because I don't want to dry out my skin.
Full routine:
Exfoliate
Cleanser- biore deep pore charcoal cleanser
Olay scrub- Olay blackhead clearing scrub Self heating cleanser- biore warming anti blackhead cleanser
Pore minimizer- biore charcoal pore minimizer Clearasil- clearasil rapid action face scrub
P.S. -short term fixes preferred

MemberMember
(@lifesuckswacne)

Posted : 05/06/2018 5:37 pm

Hairline means that it is probably saomething you're using in your hair! so just look at your hair products!

MemberMember
(@klessard)

Posted : 05/07/2018 1:26 pm

Definitely cut back to washing your face 2x a day. 3x a day is too much, even with oily skin. Washing your face too much can dry it out - when it's dry, your skin over compensates and produces more oily...nasty cycle!

Besides basic hygiene practices (changing your pillow case every 2-3 days, washing makeup brushes once a week, washing your hands before touching face, etc) the only products that have ever worked for me are
Rodan and Fields (Unblemish) or Proactiv (both made by the same dermatologists)

MemberMember
(@elainea)

Posted : 05/07/2018 2:09 pm

Try a Tea Tree Oil based cleanser and a Tea Tree oil based moisturizer. Tea Tree Oil is anti-microbial meaning it is effective against bacteria, fungus (yeast infection) and demodex skin mites.

Microscopic Demodex skin mites can cause blackheads/whiteheads and pustules that appear to be pimples. There are 2 kinds on humans, one lives in the follicles and the other down in the oil glands. Acne meds don't work on demodex. Demodex skin mitescan cause what appears to be rosacea, acne, body acne, styes and ocular rosacea/blepharitis demodex. Everybody over the age of 5 has them. The problems start if they get overpopulated. I had this for years before finally figuring out what was going on.

2 cleansers that I have used are:

1.Desert Essences Orignal Facial Wash available at stores like Kroger and Earth Fare or online. This is a castile based soap with essential oils like Tea Tree oil that kill demodex. This is a good cleanser but more drying than the Tranquil Eyes below. About $9-10 per 8 oz. bottle.

2. Tranquil Eyes by Eye Eco 1% Tea Tree Oil foaming cleanser. Available on Amazon or directly from eye eco. This has some shea butter in it making it gentler and less drying. More expensive than the Desert Essence.

A good Tea Tree Oil moisturizer is made by Derma e, Tea Tree and Vitamin E Antiseptic Cream. It is highly rated on line.I have not used this particular product but have used 4 other Derma e moisturizers that have worked well for me. The Derma e products are gentle. If I still had a serious issue with Demodex, I would use this moisturizer.

It is especially important to use the Tea Tree oil products at night, every night. The mites come out to the surface of the skin at night to mate. The Tea Tree Oil Moisturizer has 5% Tea Tree Oil which will make the mites far less romantic.

Changing your towels and pillow case daily should also help. The mites can live on a wet towel up to 58 hours.

For Demdox, there are also prescription meds that help.As always, it is best to discuss this treatment with your doctor. These are prescription drugs.

1. Topical: Soolantra - Expensive Ivermectin cream (or buy the Ivermectin Horse Paste online and mix with Cetaphil moisturizer to make a cheaper version).

2. Oral: Oral Ivermectin And Oral Metronidazole based on the 2013 paper in the International Journal of Infectious Disease. The combined treatment was highly effective at putting the demodex infestation into remission or showing marked improvement. This treatment takes 2 weeks and was highly effective for me.
[Removed broken link]

2 week Oral Treatment:
1. Two doses of oral Ivermectin one week apart. Each weekly dose is 200 micrograms Ivermectin per kilogram of body weight. Worked out to 12 mg per dose for me. Take on an empty stomach with a large glass of water.
2. Oral Metronidazole, 250 mg. three times a day for two weeks. Do not drink alcohol while taking oral Metronidazole and for 72 hours after taking the last tablet.

The thing to be aware of with Demodex is that when they die they make the pustules. That is actually a good thing since it means they are dying. They lay eggs down in the pores and glands. The mites live on a 2-3 week cycle. So it is important to keep treating them through at least 2 -3 cycles to kill the last round of eggs that hatched.