Notifications
Clear all

Should I go on accutane ?

MemberMember
(@sue7)

Posted : 06/07/2016 1:18 pm

Hey people, I am in a dilemma, I have hadreoccurringacne since last 6 years. I am 24 now. ThisJanuaryI had severe acne all over my face. The acnes are half gone, but a lot of black spots remain. I have been on adapalene sinceOctoberand god knows how many times before. It seems to help really slow and only slightly fades up my marks. Should i go for accutane? I know the side effects and am honestly ready to go through it since I don'tbelieveanything can be worst then acne. Will it be useful as half of my problem is from the dark spots? Or should I continue with adaplene ? Any words?

MemberMember
(@acnescience)

Posted : 06/07/2016 2:21 pm

If you're asking a random Joe's opinion that's taken accutane and got the worse - I'd say don't. You don't know what side effect that will occur to you as Accutane literally modifies your DNA and that affects people differently. That's why quite a bit of people have massively different side effects than everyone else - including myself.

You can take the jump. I've heard a lot of people getting their acne cleared but their acne returning back. If that's the chance you want to take then do it. This is a good video on how to remove blackheads by this guy: . I'd like to help more but I'm sure you want to do it, as like literally half of this site has done it. Doesn't that tell you something about acne?

MemberMember
(@monroeqt)

Posted : 06/07/2016 9:10 pm

7 hours ago, Sue7 said:

Hey people, I am in a dilemma, I have hadreoccurringacne since last 6 years. I am 24 now. ThisJanuaryI had severe acne all over my face. The acnes are half gone, but a lot of black spots remain. I have been on adapalene sinceOctoberand god knows how many times before. It seems to help really slow and only slightly fades up my marks. Should i go for accutane? I know the side effects and am honestly ready to go through it since I don'tbelieveanything can be worst then acne. Will it be useful as half of my problem is from the dark spots? Or should I continue with adaplene ? Any words?

Your dermatologist should help you decide that. In the meantime, I can give you my opinion if you post a picture of your acne. I have been on it twice so I might be able to offer some insight.

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 06/08/2016 9:09 am

Hi I'm just going to suggest if you're considering accutane, read through some of the bad posts and positive posts. That way you can decide if it's worth it. My personal opinion is " no". My boyfriend was on it only 1 month and became suicidal. Two other people I know got IBS...and two out of those three the acne came back within a year.
To me it's not worth the risk because it's not a guaranteed cure. I personally won't take it because I have suicide in my family history and have anxiety and depression issues.
Some on here claim vitamin A like in cod liver oil helps a lot ( accutane is made from a vitamin a derivative) or vitamin b 5 and zinc. I say try every possible option including birth control, natural supplements and diet changes...accutane should be the last resort.

MemberMember
(@maymaysmom)

Posted : 06/08/2016 3:26 pm

My daughter is twelve and has had bad cystic acne for a year. She started her period as well almost a year ago. I have tried so many different products on her and she just continues to get worse. I have her on proactive right now and I have seen some clearing. She has only been on it two weeks. She cleans her face twice a day religiously. She also has acne on her back and chest. We had tried creams and oral antibiotics from the dermatologist which did not do much. I am at a loss and I feel bad for her. I know acne is a part of life for most people but it makes me sad for her because people stare at her. My question is this... should I try accutane? Or is there other medicines or treatments I have not heard about that I might try first?

MemberMember
(@monroeqt)

Posted : 06/09/2016 10:33 am

19 hours ago, Maymaysmom said:

My daughter is twelve and has had bad cystic acne for a year. She started her period as well almost a year ago. I have tried so many different products on her and she just continues to get worse. I have her on proactive right now and I have seen some clearing. She has only been on it two weeks. She cleans her face twice a day religiously. She also has acne on her back and chest. We had tried creams and oral antibiotics from the dermatologist which did not do much. I am at a loss and I feel bad for her. I know acne is a part of life for most people but it makes me sad for her because people stare at her. My question is this... should I try accutane? Or is there other medicines or treatments I have not heard about that I might try first?

Accutane should be a last resort, so unless you have tried EVERYTHING, I don't think it's wise right now. How is her diet(try to be as specific as possible)? Proactive never worked for me, it just made things worse.

MemberMember
(@worriedscared1)

Posted : 06/13/2016 6:22 pm

I agree with the last resort. Also low dose only. Do not risk a high dose due to many possible side effects.