Notifications
Clear all

I wish Acne was included in those "love yourself" campaigns

MemberMember
(@kelbell812)

Posted : 05/12/2016 7:59 am

There are a lot of campaigns and movements out there now about loving yourself and your body, which I think is wonderful. I love how they include people from a variety of nationalities, with different body types and freckles and disabilities and things like that. I just think it would be nice to maybe include some people with acne in those campaigns! It still feels like acne is seen as something horrible that could never be beautiful. I can never relate to those campaigns because the only thing that really eats away at me is my skin, not my body shape or my hair or anything like that.

You never see people with acne on TV, like EVER. I think that's a huge problem, especially in kids shows where all the teenagers have flawless skin, which makes teens even more insecure about themselves. The big focus nowadays seems to be on accepting all of your flaws, EXCEPT acne, since it's never talked about. It might be selfish of me, but whenever I see someone with flawless skin talking about other insecurities I always think "You are so lucky though!!". I think if acne became more normalized in the media, it would be a bit easier to deal with.

Just my thoughts/feelings of the day. I thought I would try to start a discussion about it, since it's always something that has bothered me.

Bentley.boo, snarkygirl, getschwifty and 5 people liked
MemberMember
(@wittysock)

Posted : 05/13/2016 3:20 pm

I was thinking about this a few weeks ago, well not so much about the campaigns specifically, but about how acne is referred to (or not) on tv etc.
I was re-watching Charmed on Netflix and someone had put a curse on Phoebe's wedding or something like that (decade old spoiler alert there I guess), and so allll these different things were going wrong (wrong dress etc) and they didn't figure it out, but then Phoebe wakes up with acne and they all realise that it must be a curse, because nothing this horrible could possibly happen without a demon cursing them / casting a spell / whatever it was. That made me feel not so great :(

It's weird that acne is one of the few things that it seems is perfectly acceptable for people to openly judge and make fun of, and I guess that could be  because it is so common? But then for something that is so common it is almost completely invisible in the media. I always think those images in magazines, or accompanying any acne article ever are really funny, where they have a person with completely clear skin looking really worried and with fingers on their face as if about to squeeze... this perfectly clear area of skin. As if acne so taboo it can't even be seen next to a product specifically designed to treat it, or next to an article about it.

Bentley.boo, snarkygirl, IchhasseAkne and 2 people liked
MemberMember
(@monroeqt)

Posted : 05/13/2016 8:04 pm

I agree with you completely. I will say though, as a kid I found it really comforting to know that Cameron Diaz had acne. I remember some tabloid took a picture of her without make-up once. She had a lot of acne scars and active spots. It was encouraging hearingher talkabout her acne problemsbecause it gave me hope as a teenager. I honestly thought she was so beautiful, and I've never seen acne as a deciding factor in beauty. I just wish more celebrities who have had skin issues would talk openly about it. I know they don't all have perfect skin. They just have amazing make up, expensive dermatologists, and of course Photoshop.

MemberMember
(@jwalk)

Posted : 05/14/2016 7:40 am

15 hours ago, WittySock said:

It's weird that acne is one of the few things that it seems is perfectly acceptable for people to openly judge and make fun of

I've often wondered about this too. I remember back at school, any other disease or disfigurement was kind of taboo where bullying was concerned. I remember kids often said cruel things about the disabled and disfigured behind their backs, but acne seemed like one of the few genuine ailments it was perfectly acceptable to mock openly. Like you say, maybe because its so common, or maybe because it isn't life threatening or physically debilitating its seen as a comedy disease. Maybe some people still see it as being self inflicted, like being overweight (I realise this isn't always self inflicted), or dressing in unusual clothes, or getting a weird haircut.

Mind you, I remember my dad saying he got bullied at school for wearing glasses, which I don't remember ever being a problem when I was at school. Mocking someone for being short sighted wasn't the done thing. Maybe there's hope for acne in that regard.

On 12 May 2016 at 1:59 PM, kelbell812 said:

You never see people with acne on TV, like EVER. I think that's a huge problem, especially in kids shows where all the teenagers have flawless skin, which makes teens even more insecure about themselves. The big focus nowadays seems to be on accepting all of your flaws, EXCEPT acne, since it's never talked about. It might be selfish of me, but whenever I see someone with flawless skin talking about other insecurities I always think "You are so lucky though!!". I think if acne became more normalized in the media, it would be a bit easier to deal with.

I totally agree with this. If you do ever see anyone with acne its usually for comedy effect, like a flashback to when a character was younger (usually when they use the adult actor to play their own teenage self and give them acne as a way to emphasise that person is now younger) or as the clownish sidekick to the leading man. Its never just incidental acne on an otherwise "normal" person.

To an extent I think thats the nature of film and television. It is inherently shallow, which is why I don't have much sympathy for overpaid actors and actresses who complain that all the parts are going to younger, better looking people who are willing to work for less money. Sorry, that was a bit off topic...

MemberMember
(@jensweetone)

Posted : 05/15/2016 6:12 pm

Completely agree. It drives me nuts that photoshopped skin is shoved in our faces through the media just as much as any other photoshopped body part. Skin breaks out. Acne is normal. We are still worth it and beautiful with it.

I appreciate your thoughts!

jwalk liked
MemberMember
(@kelbell812)

Posted : 05/16/2016 8:39 am

On 5/14/2016 at 9:04 PM, MonroeQT said:

I agree with you completely. I will say though, as a kid I found it really comforting to know that Cameron Diaz had acne. I remember some tabloid took a picture of her without make-up once. She had a lot of acne scars and active spots. It was encouraging hearingher talkabout her acne problemsbecause it gave me hope as a teenager. I honestly thought she was so beautiful, and I've never seen acne as a deciding factor in beauty. I just wish more celebrities who have had skin issues would talk openly about it. I know they don't all have perfect skin. They just have amazing make up, expensive dermatologists, and of course Photoshop.

Yeah, I always think about Cameron Diaz too! Ever since reading an article years ago where she talked about her skin problems I have really admired her.

MemberMember
(@ichhasseakne)

Posted : 05/16/2016 1:44 pm

On 5/13/2016 at 4:20 PM, WittySock said:

I was thinking about this a few weeks ago, well not so much about the campaigns specifically, but about how acne is referred to (or not) on tv etc.
I was re-watching Charmed on Netflix and someone had put a curse on Phoebe's wedding or something like that (decade old spoiler alert there I guess), and so allll these different things were going wrong (wrong dress etc) and they didn't figure it out, but then Phoebe wakes up with acne and they all realise that it must be a curse, because nothing this horrible could possibly happen without a demon cursing them / casting a spell / whatever it was. That made me feel not so great :(

It's weird that acne is one of the few things that it seems is perfectly acceptable for people to openly judge and make fun of, and I guess that could be  because it is so common? But then for something that is so common it is almost completely invisible in the media. I always think those images in magazines, or accompanying any acne article ever are really funny, where they have a person with completely clear skin looking really worried and with fingers on their face as if about to squeeze... this perfectly clear area of skin. As if acne so taboo it can't even be seen next to a product specifically designed to treat it, or next to an article about it.

I think it might be because acne (outside of the teen years) is not that common...  Even during the teen years, the people who have moderate to severe acne are far fewer in number than those with mild or occasional acne.

It seems like people are scared of/disgusted by/make fun of traits or conditions people have that are different and not common among the majority of people they interact with daily.

jwalk liked
MemberMember
(@holdingontohope)

Posted : 05/19/2016 1:56 pm

Yep. And it's 2016 and with Instagram, it makes you truly feel like shit. I don't take pics ever. But all we see all day everyday is perfection, whether photoshopped or real. This whole society is fake. And I thought they were trying to include everyone.

MemberMember
(@azstl25)

Posted : 05/21/2016 7:54 pm

I think the negative stigma surrounding acne is due to the fact that the acne sufferer is perceived to beat fault for their acne. People think that your dirty and don't wash yourself, you're on drugs like meth, you don't eat right, etc.

MemberMember
(@kelbell812)

Posted : 05/23/2016 7:15 am

On 5/22/2016 at 8:54 PM, azstl25 said:

I think the negative stigma surrounding acne is due to the fact that the acne sufferer is perceived to beat fault for their acne. People think that your dirty and don't wash yourself, you're on drugs like meth, you don't eat right, etc.

I know, and that's the big issue. Like you said, the majority of people don't know enough about acne and so they think it's just because the person is dirty or careless. People need to be more aware that acne is out of the sufferer's control 99% of the time. Almost every single person with acne is probably doing a LOT to try to get rid of it behind the scenes, but no one sees that. They don't realize that people with acne are constantly tortured by their skin, constantly self-conscious/worried about it, constantly trying everything to get rid of it. It's very frustrating!

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 05/24/2016 11:28 am

Ha! Yes sometimes it does feel like a curse. I think there should be people with acne and bother skin issues in these campaigns too. Hell I'd volunteer for that.

On 5/14/2016 at 9:04 PM, MonroeQT said:

Salma Hayak had terrible acne too but luckily she grew out of it.

On 5/22/2016 at 8:54 PM, azstl25 said:

the funny part is were often much more obsessive about food and hygiene that those without acne. Hell I've seen hobos with clear skin...!

MemberMember
(@wittysock)

Posted : 05/30/2016 8:52 am

Has anyone seen the news about Kirsten Storms? (I say 'news' with large handfuls of salt, but this story did appear in the trending sidebar of my FB feed today.) I've never heard of this actress before, but it seems that she is having to take time off from her job due to acne (I feel like it is safe to assume acne because she says 'skin issues' and then references 'breakouts' due to stress.) She says it was getting too hard for the show to cover her skin, and that appearances matter in her biz. I don't mean to sound to cynical, but I do wonder if she really is choosing to take the time off herself, or if she is being forced into it. I mean, I can certainly understand not wanting cameras on my face when my skin has been bad.... I didn't even want my immediate family to look at me... but as a non-famous acne sufferer, it doesn't do my heart good to see that a breakout has seemingly made this beautiful (I'll presume talented too?) woman unacceptable for tv / public viewing. She is actually having to be replaced by another actress until her acne is gone. Whether this was her decision or someone behind the scenes, the message is pretty heartbreaking... :(

Lore91 and snarkygirl liked
MemberMember
(@jayrenzo326)

Posted : 05/30/2016 9:42 am

i couldn't agree more with this. what a sad life we have. really disappointing. :(

Lore91 liked
MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 05/31/2016 10:18 am

On 5/30/2016 at 9:52 AM, WittySock said:

Has anyone seen the news about Kirsten Storms? (I say 'news' with large handfuls of salt, but this story did appear in the trending sidebar of my FB feed today.) I've never heard of this actress before, but it seems that she is having to take time off from her job due to acne (I feel like it is safe to assume acne because she says 'skin issues' and then references 'breakouts' due to stress.) She says it was getting too hard for the show to cover her skin, and that appearances matter in her biz. I don't mean to sound to cynical, but I do wonder if she really is choosing to take the time off herself, or if she is being forced into it. I mean, I can certainly understand not wanting cameras on my face when my skin has been bad.... I didn't even want my immediate family to look at me... but as a non-famous acne sufferer, it doesn't do my heart good to see that a breakout has seemingly made this beautiful (I'll presume talented too?) woman unacceptable for tv / public viewing. She is actually having to be replaced by another actress until her acne is gone. Whether this was her decision or someone behind the scenes, the message is pretty heartbreaking... :(

no I don't know who that is but I feel sympathetic.

MemberMember
(@monroeqt)

Posted : 06/01/2016 7:11 pm

I think the reason that certain groups of people; lets use overweight women as an example, are seen in these "love yourself" campaigns is because THEY demanded equality. What I mean is, overweight women were noticing that they weren't being represented the same way as average sized women were. So these women began speaking out about it. Theybegan protests, theycreated movements,theycreated facebook support groups,theydemanded that they be acknowledged as beautiful. I think if we want to be acknowledged as beautiful and understood, that it is up tous.Just my two cents. =)

MemberMember
(@welcomesmirk)

Posted : 06/01/2016 9:56 pm

Sorry everyone. The medical business is too invested into the "acne treatment" world. There is far too much profit from people who suffer. Dermatologists make a huge bank off of the thousand machines and treatments that exist. If it breaks your heart to hear we live in an even more cruel world, I'm sorry.

MemberMember
(@wittysock)

Posted : 06/04/2016 10:45 am

Nothing like a conspiracy theory to kill a nice interesting conversation...