Notifications
Clear all

FEEL CONFIDENT AND BEAUTIFUL!

MemberMember
(@soundschedule)

Posted : 05/07/2016 3:13 pm

Hey guys!

I just wanted to put something out there on this site that reminded everyone that they are beautiful. Reading through posts from of all sorts of people, I long to comment on each one saying to not be discouraged! I just want to say to each of you: Feel proud of yourself. Let confidence and happiness spill from within. Each one of you are talented and compassionate and so mindful and thoughtful.

Don't lose sight of that. Take a moment to recognize that which you bring to the world and those around you.And when you're around others or when you are feeling down, call to mind some of these things.

Find that part of you inside yourself that just desires happiness and love. Don't identify yourself as an acne-sufferer. Think of yourself as a loving, intelligent, athletic...(etc.) sister, brother, son, daughter, mother...(etc.)

This is the corniest line ever, but it is so true- You have to love yourself before others will love you.

Love yourself today and everyday. We are each in this together. We must be supportive of others.

The days you feel that nothing is going your way, do this: call to mind an event, a passage in a book, a song, whatever it is. Think about that thing, play it, read it, etc. And instead of being down on yourself or acting destructively in another way, spread happiness. Call your mother, text your friend, or even just smile at a stranger.

Come on, everyone. Let's feel good about ourselves for a change.

MemberMember
(@lore91)

Posted : 05/08/2016 4:45 am

I appreciate this post, and I so wish I could follow the advice but... I just can't.

I can't find myself beautiful when I look in the mirror and see a monster, when I see photos of myself and just want to cry.

I try...I made a list the other day of things I liked about myself... my teeth, my eyebrows, my hair, etc... but at the end of the day, the first thing I see when I look at myself is my skin, and I'm certain other people do too. I don' t want to be this miserable, I don't want to cry every day... but whenever I try to feel better, all I need to do is look in the mirror and I feel awful.

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@jwalk)

Posted : 05/08/2016 6:11 am

14 hours ago, Soundschedule said:

I just wanted to put something out there on this site that reminded everyone that they are beautiful.

Thanks

Feel proud of yourself.

We can't choose how we feel, we can only choose how we act. Sorry.

Let confidence and happiness spill from within.

This is a bit treacly, but if you mean that we should fake confidence and happiness then I would tend to agree with your sentiment.

Each one of you are talented and compassionate and so mindful and thoughtful.

How do you know this?

This is the corniest line ever, but it is so true- You have to love yourself before others will love you.

Any ideas how we would do this? Otherwise you're not really bringing anything new to the table.

Love yourself today and everyday.

Again this is just treacle. There's nothing new or insightful about what you are saying.

We are each in this together.

No we aren't. Some people have more on their plates than others. The world isn't a level playing field. I see no reason to pretend otherwise or resent it for being that way. I don't mind having a tough time, I just resent the mistaken belief that everyone is having a tough time.

The days you feel that nothing is going your way, do this: call to mind an event, a passage in a book, a song, whatever it is. Think about that thing, play it, read it, etc. And instead of being down on yourself or acting destructively in another way, spread happiness. Call your mother, text your friend, or even just smile at a stranger.

I actually agree with all of this. Like I said you can't choose how to feel, but you can choose how to act and this is a good example of how your actions can potentially lead you to happiness.

I get you're trying to help, but like most of your post this is meaningless sentiment.

WittySock liked
MemberMember
(@azstl25)

Posted : 05/08/2016 5:07 pm

I cant lie to myself like that. I'm a legit subhuman, and I just have to cope and make some sense of that. I've seen good-looking people and how much better they are treated than freaks like me. There is no self-affirmation you can believe that will change your reality of being a sub-human.

MemberMember
(@grrrlpower)

Posted : 05/08/2016 8:39 pm

How am I supposed to love myself when i am constantly told that acne is a ugly problem that needs to be solved?

MemberMember
(@soundschedule)

Posted : 05/08/2016 9:04 pm

14 hours ago, jwalk said:
Thanks

We can't choose how we feel, we can only choose how we act. Sorry.

This is a bit treacly, but if you mean that we should fake confidence and happiness then I would tend to agree with your sentiment.

How do you know this?

Any ideas how we would do this? Otherwise you're not really bringing anything new to the table.

Again this is just treacle. There's nothing new or insightful about what you are saying.

No we aren't. Some people have more on their plates than others. The world isn't a level playing field. I see no reason to pretend otherwise or resent it for being that way. I don't mind having a tough time, I just resent the mistaken belief that everyone is having a tough time.

I actually agree with all of this. Like I said you can't choose how to feel, but you can choose how to act and this is a good example of how your actions can potentially lead you to happiness.

I get you're trying to help, but like most of your post this is meaningless sentiment.

There is so much negativity that surrounds a person in a situation with acne involved. All I was trying to do is tell others that there are people out there that love them and find them valuable. We are all cherished whether we can recognize it or not.

By your actions, you can direct your energy into feeling happy and confident. Nothing fake about that.

This is by no means overly sentimental, jwalk. I seen trolling a lot on this website. I also see a lot of love and compassion shared among people.

We need to band together and support each other. Whatever we are going through, we can lean on each other for support. I would advise you to spend more time spreading positivity, not trolling on other people's posts. Some meaningless sentiment for you to mull over once again.

Emmygirl liked
MemberMember
(@jwalk)

Posted : 05/09/2016 12:07 am

2 hours ago, Soundschedule said:

We need to band together and support each other. Whatever we are going through, we can lean on each other for support. I would advise you to spend more time spreading positivity, not trolling on other people's posts. Some meaningless sentiment for you to mull over once again.

Just because someone is disagreeing with you it doesn't mean they are trolling you. I'm sure you think you're spreading positivity, but you're really just spinning cliches that aren't especially helpful.

2 hours ago, Soundschedule said:

By your actions, you can direct your energy into feeling happy and confident. Nothing fake about that.

Your actions can indeed lead you to happiness and confidence, but your original post read "Feel proud of yourself. Let confidence and happiness spill from within." This phrasing suggests that we have the power to change our mood whenever we please, which we can't. This isn't the same thing as attempting to change our mood through our actions.

WittySock liked
MemberMember
(@jennifer-cheung)

Posted : 05/09/2016 12:40 am

As an acne-sufferer, I can't remember how many times I broke down in front of my family and they would always tell me "Don't fall into despair" or like "Be more confident about yourself" and "You will be alright". Or how many times they would advise me "Sleep more, eat well and your face will heal" or "Everybody got pimples, it's okay". All these things they said, were absolutely cliche. At first of course I would be angry because I felt like they never really understood my struggle or how I really felt, and what they were saying to me weren't helpful at all. But now when I come to think about it, I am really grateful for their support, or at least their effort to comfort me even though it didn't really work. I guess what I'm trying to say is that, sometimes we just have to accept the fact that everybody feels differently so we can't expect others to always know the right things to say or to 100% understand our difficulties. I think Soundschedule definitely started this post with the good intention of trying to give this community more positive vibe. Maybe some of us won't relate to it because life is damn hard, especially when you have acne that never goes away. BUT, I do think that there is no need to be so negative about it. Personally, I am very appreciative of this post, whether it helps cheer me up or not. It's not about what Soundschedule typed, but the fact that s/he cares. So, thank you 🙂 And I would also say that to everyone with acne, don't let it decide your value. You are so much more than just your appearance 🙂

MemberMember
(@soundschedule)

Posted : 05/09/2016 6:02 pm

17 hours ago, jwalk said:
Just because someone is disagreeing with you it doesn't mean they are trolling you. I'm sure you think you're spreading positivity, but you're really just spinning cliches that aren't especially helpful.

Your actions can indeed lead you to happiness and confidence, but your original post read "Feel proud of yourself. Let confidence and happiness spill from within." This phrasing suggests that we have the power to change our mood whenever we please, which we can't. This isn't the same thing as attempting to change our mood through our actions.

Sounding a bit treacly, don't you think?

MemberMember
(@jensweetone)

Posted : 05/10/2016 4:27 pm

Love this post!! I'm all about self acceptance, even with our acne!

MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 05/10/2016 4:52 pm

On 5/7/2016 at 4:13 PM, Soundschedule said:

Call your mother, text your friend, or  even just smile at a stranger. 

Little kindnesses can have a ripple effect like you wouldn't believe!! I am all about the little things we can do that help the world be a better place!

Thanks for this, great post!!! ::)

MemberMember
(@kelbell812)

Posted : 05/12/2016 7:43 am

On 5/9/2016 at 1:40 AM, Jennifer Cheung said:

As an acne-sufferer, I can't remember how many times I broke down in front of my family and they would always tell me "Don't fall into despair" or like "Be more confident about yourself" and "You will be alright". Or how many times they would advise me "Sleep more, eat well and your face will heal" or "Everybody got pimples, it's okay". All these things they said, were absolutely cliche. At first of course I would be angry because I felt like they never really understood my struggle or how I really felt, and what they were saying to me weren't helpful at all. But now when I come to think about it, I am really grateful for their support, or at least their effort to comfort me even though it didn't really work. I guess what I'm trying to say is that, sometimes we just have to accept the fact that everybody feels differently so we can't expect others to always know the right things to say or to 100% understand our difficulties. I think Soundschedule definitely started this post with the good intention of trying to give this community more positive vibe. Maybe some of us won't relate to it because life is damn hard, especially when you have acne that never goes away. BUT, I do think that there is no need to be so negative about it. Personally, I am very appreciative of this post, whether it helps cheer me up or not. It's not about what Soundschedule typed, but the fact that s/he cares. So, thank you 🙂 And I would also say that to everyone with acne, don't let it decide your value. You are so much more than just your appearance 🙂

Yeah, I agree with this. It's easy to get mad at people for not understanding what it's like to have acne and for giving cliche advice. But, then I think about times in the past where I've been in the same boat but for a completely different issue. I once had a roommate with depression and I had NO idea what to say or how to make her feel better. I felt like everything I said was so corny and cliche, and she probably felt the same annoyance that I now feel when people say that stuff about my skin. Sometimes I have to try to remember that and refresh my perspective.

MemberMember
(@jwalk)

Posted : 05/14/2016 7:15 am

On 9 May 2016 at 0:02 AM, Soundschedule said:

Sounding a bit treacly, don't you think?

I was actually paraphrasing your point, but ok...

On 9 May 2016 at 6:40 AM, Jennifer Cheung said:

I think Soundschedule definitely started this post with the good intention of trying to give this community more positive vibe. Maybe some of us won't relate to it because life is damn hard, especially when you have acne that never goes away. BUT, I do think that there is no need to be so negative about it.

In my reply I actually acknowledged that I believed soundschedule was only trying to help, I apologise if I didn't make this clear enough. I don't think soundschedule was being malicious in any way, but as my favourite proverb goes - "The road to hell is paved with good intentions".

I also get worried when someone who is openly disagreeing with someone else, or disputing your argument, is dismissed as being a troll or just being negative.

WittySock liked
MemberMember
(@jennifer-cheung)

Posted : 05/14/2016 11:00 am

3 hours ago, jwalk said:
I was actually paraphrasing your point, but ok...

In my reply I actually acknowledged that I believed soundschedule was only trying to help, I apologise if I didn't make this clear enough. I don't think soundschedule was being malicious in any way, but as my favourite proverb goes - "The road to hell is paved with good intentions".

I also get worried when someone who is openly disagreeing with someone else, or disputing your argument, is dismissed as being a troll or just being negative.

I totally understand. As a matter of fact I am feeling really regretful right now. I have had a bad day being a deadline fighter for school project and my acne has been out of control, and I just spent the whole night crying and yelling at my mother because she kept saying those "useless things with good intentions" again. I feel so sorry because she loves me and didn't deserve to be treated like that :( a lesson for me to learn... Gotta stop hurting the ones who actually care about me the most. I love her 

jwalk liked
MemberMember
(@wittysock)

Posted : 05/14/2016 4:44 pm

9 hours ago, jwalk said:

Yes to this!
(And you were being perfectly clear before)

jwalk liked
MemberMember
(@soundschedule)

Posted : 05/15/2016 6:54 pm

On May 14, 2016 at 8:15 AM, jwalk said:

Observation: Your profile on this site is littered with you confronting others, injecting your out-of-place opinions and condescension into personal discussions and forums.

This website is for people to shed away their usual insecurities and lend support to others with acne just like them.

There is no place here in my posts and in my opinion on this site for your behavior.

You are preying on others vunerability, and it is reprehensible and disgusting.

I am all for lively debate, but you often wade in the waters of online trolling. Your comments look more like those found on YouTube.

Replace your awful cynicism with love and support.

Let this serve as a lesson for all of us: Think before you post.

This post was to serve for people to have some support, but instead it has turned into your diatribe against all that is positive in this world.

Stop this.

Spread love and gratitude for this great life we have been given.

MemberMember
(@jwalk)

Posted : 05/16/2016 2:54 am

8 hours ago, Soundschedule said:

Observation: Your profile on this site is littered with you confronting others, injecting your out-of-place opinions and condescension into personal discussions and forums.

My profile is certainly littered with me confronting others, I can't dispute that. I will continue to confront opinions that I do not consider helpful or meaningful in anyway. I believe that these opinions are ultimately harmful and usually condescending in nature. I suspect that they are often posted for the OP's vanity, rather than a genuine attempt to help others. However, as I cannot prove this I will only say that even if the OP has good intentions, such opinions only serve to insult or infuriate a large number of their target audience.

I completely reject the idea that any of my posts have been out of place, they have all been linked to the topic of the discussion. As far as I am aware this is a public forum and anyone is free to comment as long as they sign up to the site and obey the rules. If you believe that I have broken the rules in some way I would suggest that you report me to a moderator.

This website is for people to shed away their usual insecurities and lend support to others with acne just like them.

Agreed.

There is no place here in my posts and in my opinion on this site for your behavior.

I throw myself on the mercy of the moderators. I do not apologise for anything that I have said. I presume that they monitor the content of this forum, If I am out of line then let them ban me from this site. I believe I have operated within the rules that have been laid out.

You are preying on others vunerability, and it is reprehensible and disgusting.

This is a vicious slur and I dispute it entirely.

I am all for lively debate

Are you sure? You seem to openly resent me disagreeing with you.

you often wade in the waters of online trolling

More name calling?I hope others note that I have never directly insulted anyone's person on this site or resorted to name calling. I have insulted many of their arguments and pointed out logical fallacies and assertions that I consider to be weak or harmful. I do this in a genuine attempt to support others.

Replace your awful cynicism with love and support.

Never. Good humour and cynicism are the only things that can save us from ourselves and the machinations of others. I will never surrender them. I find the idea of compulsory love disgusting, I reserve it for people that I actually know and admire.

And support? Im sure you think that you are being objectively supportive. I do not. Hence the disagreement.

Think before you post.

Agreed. I have never done otherwise.

This post was to serve for people to have some support, but instead it has turned into your diatribe against all that is positive in this world.

I find this to be a bit melodramatic. Do you really mean all(as in everything?) that is positive in the world? Do you consider your original post to represent allthat is positive in the world? I find this to be an arrogant statement. Do you consider yourself to be some sort of champion of positivity? I would suggest that your original post did not contain much about what is positive in the world. If I did unleash a diatribe, it was directed at your original post, not all that is "positive" in the world.

Spread love and gratitude for this great life we have been given.

I like to think that everyone here is grateful for the life we have been given, its probably the only thing that keeps many of us going. I am not sure why some people who comment on this site assume that we are ungrateful individuals just because we disagree with them.

In closing, I apologise if anything I have said has been misconstrued as a personal attack against anyone on this site. This was not my intent.

I do not apologise for anythingI have said. I meant every word.

MemberMember
(@soundschedule)

Posted : 05/16/2016 10:57 am

8 hours ago, jwalk said:
Isuspect that they are often posted for the OP's vanity, rather than a genuine attempt to help others.

Iwill never surrender them. I find the idea of compulsory love disgusting, I reserve it for people that I actually know and admire.

And support? Im sure you think that you are being objectively supportive. I do not. Hence the disagreement.

I do not apologise for anythingI have said. I meant every word.

Some higlights, jwalk!

Save yourself some heartache and don't comment here again. You don't need to keep answering me on my post out of your incredible need to have the last word or some moral authority or whatever the black hole you call your sense of humor or mindfulness or support.

You get more ridiculous and offensive with every post.

I have reported you because if I can help one person stay away from you, I would jump at the honor.

I have never witnessed such ...I'm drawing on a blank to describe you...is it repressed anger?

I hope you find love and support or whatever you need to stop word vomiting across the Internet.

I truly wish you the best.

MemberMember
(@jwalk)

Posted : 05/16/2016 11:58 am

45 minutes ago, Soundschedule said:

Save yourself some heartache and don't comment here again. You don't need to keep answering me on my post out of your incredible need to have the last word or some moral authority or whatever the black hole you call your sense of humor or mindfulness or support.

No heartache or need on my part, responding to you is entirely my pleasure. You could have ignored my original reply if you had chosen to, yet you decided to turn this thread into a personal attack on me, presumably because I discredited much of your original post (although you seem to have ignored the fact that I agreed with a significant proportion of it). So far you have called me a troll, ridiculous, offensive and, worst of all, someone who preys on the vulnerability of others. I consider these to be personal insults. I do not believe that I have written anything that can be construed as a personal insult to you, but for the third time I sincerely apologise if you feel this way.

58 minutes ago, Soundschedule said:

I have never witnessed such ...I'm drawing on a blank to describe you...is it repressed anger?

Possibly.

59 minutes ago, Soundschedule said:

I truly wish you the best.

Thank you. I hope this is genuine.

MemberMember
(@holdingontohope)

Posted : 05/19/2016 1:54 pm

I think all of our problems stem from not loving ourselves. But I really don't blame us. It's hard. I still haven't reached acceptance yet.

I don't give a f*** what people think of me, I'm only concerned with what I think of me, and what I think of me isn't great. :(

jwalk liked