Notifications
Clear all

Doxycycline

MemberMember
(@youg_v)

Posted : 04/21/2016 9:47 am

I took doxycycline for my acne for about 5-6 months and then I stopped taking it because it got better. 5+ months later my acne got really bad again and my Doctor prescribed me Doxycycline again for 3 months. Is it safe to take it again? Is there a risk of Antibiotic Resistance?
Thank You.

MemberMember
(@dynamicwok)

Posted : 04/22/2016 10:33 am

It's probably safe to take it again (otherwise your doctor would not have prescribed it to you), there is always a risk of antibiotic resistance, you could minimize the risk by completing the whole prescribed course (don't stop if it gets better, continue taking the medication as prescribed (unless you experience some serious side-effect, then you should consult your doctor)) and never skipping a dose.

You could also ask your doctor for a topical (benzoyl peroxide, epiduo, etc) these products also have antibacterial activity and reduce the chance of antibiotic resistance

MemberMember
(@carpemomentum)

Posted : 04/22/2016 11:15 am

On 4/21/2016 at 10:47 AM, youg_v said:

I took doxycycline for my acne for about 5-6 months and then I stopped taking it because it got better. 5+ months later my acne got really bad again and my Doctor prescribed me Doxycycline again for 3 months. Is it safe to take it again? Is there a risk of Antibiotic Resistance?
Thank You.

Hi there. Yes, Doxy is really a short term solution for the underlying cause of acne. It would be best to make sure you are taking care of your gut, using a probiotic to help build back up the good flora. Long-term antibiotics reek havoc on your digestion and gut health. If you decide to go back on the antibiotics, take the probiotic in the morning on an empty stomach a few hours before your first Doxy dose. If you take them at the same time, the antibiotic can cancel out the benefits of the probiotic. Have you considered or discussed any other treatments- topical course of retinoids or maybe topical Clindamyacin (topical antibiotic) mixed with BP- Benzaclin? If you are female- BCP or Spironolactone If you are male- Accutane if it is severe?