Notifications
Clear all

Hormonal Chin Acne

MemberMember
(@geenie-poppie)

Posted : 04/02/2016 12:07 pm

Hi!
im totally new to posting anything about my acne! I've followed this site getting so much comfort from other's stories and advice, so thought I'd take the plunge and write one myself.

Ive had acne for 11 years now, started when I was about 13 and I've never grown out of it.
I generally swing between being devastated and accepting (although, this is usually when it's having an 'OK' day)

I had had a brief period where my skin was immaculate! I was on the Qlaira birth control pills. It only lasted 6 months before I had to come off them. They gave me mood swings and a host of nasties.
And the dreaded spots came back.

Mine are cystic, white heads and black heads.
Musically localised to my chin/ neck. Have recently been travelling North to my cheeks and forehead. Which is totally bumming me out as I've never had them there!

I've tried everything under the sun- to list a few:
Duac cream
Zineryt
Lymecine
Differin

Accutane
Lumie Clear light
Indian mud mask
Bio Oils
And so many more prescribed/over the counter remedies.

My skin today: not bad and not good... Just the regular. And yet, today I'm in pieces over it, it's sore, unsightly and driving me to tears!
I get the regular advice: drink lots of water, don't wear make up and wash your face properly.
I exercise, drink only water and have a good cleansing routine.
Ultimatly, unless you've had acne, you'll never truest understand that not one singular thing causes it and it's truly relentless!

MemberMember
(@kasyani)

Posted : 04/03/2016 2:59 am

"Ultimatly, unless you've had acne, you'll never truest understand that not one singular thing causes it"

Please don't put people off because this statement isn't wholly true but there are different type's of acne,I found what caused mine 30 years ago and can avoid cystic acne starting to appear,my daughter has the same condition and can prevent hers,so while we are still susceptible to acne there is a cause for some suffers.

MemberMember
(@geenie-poppie)

Posted : 04/03/2016 5:51 am

2 hours ago, kasyani said:

"Ultimatly, unless you've had acne, you'll never truest understand that not one singular thing causes it"

Please don't put people off because this statement isn't wholly true but there are different type's of acne,I found what caused mine 30 years ago and can avoid cystic acne starting to appear,my daughter has the same condition and can prevent hers,so while we are still susceptible to acne there is a cause for some suffers.

What I meant was, people think that it is simple things like washing your face properly, or drinking more water. It has taken you 30 years to find your trigger. I couldn't be happier for you! But think it does comply with my statement that acne is complex and usually there are complex causes and usually more than one. Xx

MemberMember
(@kasyani)

Posted : 04/03/2016 8:49 am

Yes I see your point,I get psoriasis and my daughter eczema,it comes and goes as it pleases and kept at bay by creams but does clear altogether from time to time and like acne as you say,there isn't anything you can do about it,but with acne there's no simple cure unless you have a condition like me and my daughter,so now I agree with you,

Thank you,

MemberMember
(@spirouser)

Posted : 04/04/2016 9:54 am

I too have tried everything under the sun.. Including accutane when I was 16, everything was groovy til about 20, I started getting hormonal break outs - bad! I didn't take care of my skin either. Now I am 24, on the pill now for 6 months (Side note: I love birth control. My periods were so painful that I would sometimes have to miss work or school because I would have as I described just one big cramp from my belly to my thighs. No serious diseases there just one cranky uterus. The pill helped my periods like no ones business. It also helped clear up my bacne, my forehead and my cheeks.)

I am on week one of 50 mg spiro to get rid of these pesky hormonal breakouts on my chin. So far so good

MemberMember
(@geenie-poppie)

Posted : 04/04/2016 12:04 pm

I dread to think how much I've spent trying to clear it up!
I haven't heard of Spiro? I'm from the UK, perhaps it's not available over here.
Mum not opposed to birth control, it's just that it makes me spot throughout the month. And also find that I get yeast infections quite often with it.
But im so at my wits end with my skin that it's my only option!
I'm really worried about my scarring, I know that once it's cleared (well hopefully!) that I'll have really uneven skin texture

MemberMember
(@spirouser)

Posted : 04/04/2016 10:36 pm

Spiro is short for Spironolactone. It's a high blood pressure medication but it has been used to treat acne in female patients. Here's a great website I found that explained it to me a little better: Website

I have a post (link to my post) where I will post updates and eventually pictures if you are interested in Spiro :)

I too have an uneven texture but once the acne itself is gone I think some facials will definitely help. Back to your original post though, I agree with you... it is very difficult for people to understand. They think it's just a face, it's just a break out. But honestly there have been days where I wanted to just stay home and avoid people. Now on my days off I plan my days according to having to wear makeup. It's terrible and I am really hoping this works for me :( How I would love to go back to when it felt like ONE pimple was the end of the world lol