Notifications
Clear all

Advice/recommendations on Scarring (PICS)

MemberMember
(@deathormoney)

Posted : 03/27/2016 9:11 am

So as you can see in the pictures I have scarring isolated to my mid-cheeks. (besides the holes + rolling scars) I have never seen such scarring before - (lined / uniform). Can anyone identify it?

Also, I have attached multiple pictures - in my the opinion the left cheek is worse than right. But both are bad.

In your honest opinion, would you identify my scarring as mild, moderate or severe

I have visited a dermatologist specifically about scarring once (6 months ago) and he basically told me how to get my, now very mild active acne under control (Acne used to be extremely severe - cystic acne - but it's over) - but I still have a few active spots - Why do they not go away? My dermatologist gave me strict instructions which I follow. And said he wouldn't touch my scarring until all active acne is gone - understandable. So any advice about getting rid of mild acne so i can start treatment on my scarring? - i know scarring is very hard to get rid of so my hopes are not high, nevertheless I'll never give up.

And secondly, once i do manage to get rid of active mild acne, what advice do you have about scarring? Is there anything i could be doing to , say, i don't know - encourage better healing times (after treatments, What to avoid, etc.) - Thanks

Below are pictures. 

Left cheek:

20160326_150246_44728.jpg.3e26a1a0f98bb7 20160327_151451_27199.jpg.87522f9c2b2251 20160327_151451_51599.jpg.12b175db732032

Right Cheek

20160326_150246_27621.jpg.bc948d72e41559 20160327_151022_19726.jpg.e2693542ac4f51 20160327_151022_30623.jpg.5ae95c58c7ceea

Acne really sucks.

20160327_151451_39219.jpg

Rdnhey liked
MemberMember
(@petpeeve)

Posted : 03/28/2016 3:54 pm

How old are you? You look pretty young. You are correct in understanding that acne scarring is very difficult to treat, but not impossible. The reason I ask your age is because there is a big chance that because you are still breaking out and your scars look fairly recent,your scarring may fade away on its own in time. However, this can take years and I know you don't want to hear that. I don't think your scarring is bad at all I'd say mild to moderate. What makes it look bad is the fact that: #1 it is on your face and we all see it worse than it really is...#2 redness and active acne will always make scarring look more pronounced.

After a 6 month course of Accutane, it took me 2 years before I started treating any scarring. I would have done it a year sooner, but expenses didn't allow me. I was reccommended the Smoothbeam laser 13 years ago, which at the time was one of the cheaper laser options derms in my area provided. I only paid for 3 treatments before I stopped.Years later I came to realize it would have been a waste of time and expense had I gone full out the reccommended 6 treatments.Not that it couldn't have worked, butin reading more about it and reading other cases, I learned that in my case, I could achieve the same results with patience and other less expensive options. Some lasers work in different intensities, but in general, they all work similarly in trying to help rebuild lost collagen especially in older scarring that has stopped healing. The key here is collagen that has stopped rebuilding itself! There is a chance yours is still healing and the shape and density of your scarring may change all on its own.

I'm not the one with the degree but honestly, I don't see that your acne is severe enough that they can't start some sort of treatment. Unless your doc is talking about laser and you came off of something like Accutane... it is totally understandable why he won't touch your scars. But I think that some mild microdermabrasion may help your scarring and even helpyour current acne. In looking at your pictures,I think that at this point, any type of exfoliating treatment may be your friend. If down the line you want to try something more aggressive, then it'll be up to you.

Good luck.