Notifications
Clear all

I can't get away.

MemberMember
(@cap93)

Posted : 03/18/2016 8:28 pm

Hey there, well firstly let me tell you a little bit about myself and what I'm doing to help my acne. I had some pimples in high school, but nothing terrible; I still of course freaked out at the time and acted like it was the end of the world. I went to college and three months in my acne got very severe, terrible to be honest. I was diagnosed with cystic acne and have dealt with it ever since. So, this is a little over two years with cystic acne and it has ruined my confidence and basically my life.

I am currently on Bactrim (along with 3 other products) and have been this regiment for one month. It seems to be working decently, but I still get acne and have a bunch of marks and scars. I didn't get the quick 2 weeks results like some people did.
I am currently a substitute teacher and this has been a huge source of emotional and psychological effects. Today, I was substitute teaching a 6th grade class and one of the students said, "My neighbor has those things on his face like you." This is now the THIRD TIME a student has made comments about my acne.

Recently, I have really been trying to think about my acne less and enjoy my life as much as possible. I hate letting acne hold me back in life, but I am constantly reminded of my acne. The first time this happened was in a 1st grade class when a student said, "What are all those marks on your face?"

Then, just last week, a kindergarten teacher told her students my name (I was substitute teaching gym) and the one kid said, "Your name should be Mr. marks on his face." Then today, I had the neighbor comment in my 6th grade class. I feel really down in the dumps about my acne after all of this.

You may say, don't substitute teach? But I am studying to be a teacher and I need the experience. Also, I guess I have to get accustomed to this because it will likely happen much more in the future. I'm just tired of dealing with this honestly. I know kids have no filter and say whatever they think, so I shouldn't take their words offensive.

Also, I shouldn't really care what a 5-13 year old think of my appearance; however, I see some of the students whispering and looking at me and have a feeling they are talking about me. I also worry people my age or older are thinking the SAME EXACT THINGS as these kids and just not saying it. I really don't know the point of this post, but I needed somewhere to rant. I haven''t felt this ugly in a while.

Thanks for reading this obnoxiously long post and all your support is appreciated.

bumpee liked
MemberMember
(@hbxgirl)

Posted : 03/19/2016 2:04 am

When I had my first severe acne, I couldn't look at myself in the mirror. I hated places with bright lights and I would only look into the mirror with the lights off. I stopped wearing nice clothes and only wore black. I felt like I was so ugly and I didn't deserve my pretty clothes I bought before the acne. I was terrified of wearing bright colors like pink ,yellow and especially white. I've been depressed, stressed and sometimes I just wanted to hide in the house. I couldn't wear makeup because it was the reason I developed acne in the first place. I also have really rude and judgmental Asian relatives who would comment nasty things about my acne, tell me in my face. I brushed it all off. I surrounded myself with close friends and family. My mom was really supportive and she was with me through the entire journey. I understand it's hard and sometimes life is so unfair to us. You gotta constantly remind yourself that This.Won't.Last.Forever. As much as you think it won't go away, it will. Somehow and some way. If you can't control acne, control your attitude. It's hard to leave the house with a face full of acne but it's your attitude and confidence that change everything. Live your life,laugh with your friends, acne cannot hold you back. Plus, I think people nowadays are generally very polite. Be nice and respectful. You deserve good things my friend. I wish you the best of luck in life.

bumpee liked
MemberMember
(@jwalk)

Posted : 03/19/2016 3:54 pm

19 hours ago, cap93 said:

Also, I shouldn't really care what a 5-13 year old think of my appearance; however, I see some of the students whispering and looking at me and have a feeling they are talking about me. I also worry people my age or older are thinking the SAME EXACT THINGS as these kids and just not saying it. I really don't know the point of this post, but I needed somewhere to rant. I haven''t felt this ugly in a while.

If something upsets you its not your fault. It either bothers you or it doesn't. You have the choice to either pretend that it doesn't bother you or admit that it does and call out the person or persons that have offended you. Either choice is ok, whichever is best for you.

I suspect that you will not truly enjoy your chosen career until your acne is cured. I hope this happens for you soon.

I realise that this is a massive generalisation, but In my experience kids are stupid. Most are immature, cruel and vindictive. At best they are ignorant and self obsessed. Above all they're honest to a fault. If they don't like you for whatever reason, no matter how illogical, they will locate any weakness and capitalise on it. They cannot be reasoned with. They are not reasonable. Many of them are just not worth the effort, they're destined to be social parasites that will make life harder for the rest of us. However, I accept that they are not the finished product so we quite rightly give them more leeway than we would normally give another human.

This is why I resent people telling children that how they look doesn't matter; that their personality will shine through and that other people neither notice nor care what they look like. It might be true in the civilised grown up world (although I'm not 100% convinced of this), but the child world doesn't play by those rules.

Most adults are bound by social niceties, particularly in the workplace, so even if they despise your appearance they won't give you a hard time about it. Children don't think like that.

If I still had bad acne there would be no way in hell that I would go anywhere near a school. I admire your courage.

MemberMember
(@ichhasseakne)

Posted : 03/20/2016 12:50 pm

20 hours ago, jwalk said:

If I still had bad acne there would be no way in hell that I would go anywhere near a school. I admire your courage. 

I agree 115%  I cannot imagine the courage that it takes you OP to be in such a role.  It was and is hard enough for me to be in a technical role (working with scientists, engineers, technicians) and many of the people in those roles aren't the best looking... (or else they would be in business or marketing )