Notifications
Clear all

Screwing with my life

MemberMember
(@deehooper)

Posted : 03/12/2016 9:59 pm

I started seeing this guy and this past week my face decided to breakout. And because of it I keep putting off my plans to see him and I hate it :/ and I was gonna go out tonight with some friends but canceled after getting ready because it just looks so bad. I'm 22 and I'm just at a loss. I don't know what to do. Acne should not be controlling my life

MemberMember
(@jodorokes)

Posted : 03/13/2016 12:51 pm

No, it shouldn't be controlling your life. It controls my actions too sometimes, although much less often than it used to. I've realized that it's really not worth worrying about. Others only care if you care. Your boyfriend will only care if you care. I'm sure he just wants to see you! Regardless of the state of your face. And your friends just want you to be there! That would really get me down if one of my friends didn't want to hang out becuase of a breakout.I'm 21, in college, I know how it feels.

Maybe this doesn't apply to you becuase your face is usually clear. I'm usually not clear and I've had to learn that if I want to enjoy my life, I have to accept that I won't always look terribly handsome.

leelowe1 liked
MemberMember
(@kasyani)

Posted : 03/14/2016 2:26 am

So how bad is your breakout, 1 or 2 spots,couple of whiteheads ?

MemberMember
(@jwalk)

Posted : 03/14/2016 2:46 am

13 hours ago, jodorokes said:

Maybe this doesn't apply to you becuase your face is usually clear. I'm usually not clear and I've had to learn that if I want to enjoy my life, I have to accept that I won't always look terribly handsome.

For me it was not about looking handsome it was about looking "normal", there's a difference. Looking abnormal or "wrong" encourages others to treat you with less respect. Your immediate family, close friends and long term partners will of course probably love you regardless, but they account for less than 1% of the people you will have to deal with in life.

Its important to acknowledge the fact that everyonenotices your skin, but not everyone will react with cruelty. However, some people genuinely do take offence that you exist and will treat you poorly because of this.

You also don't really have a choice if something about your appearance bothers or worries you. You can only choose how to carry yourself in spite of your insecurities. I decided to avoid any kind of close relationships when I was younger, which is why I really struggle with people now. I got used to living like that and I became alienated from the rest of the world. So at the risk of contradicting myself, I would suggest that the only solution would be to pretend that you are happy and secure in yourself.

MemberMember
(@rosaceasingapore)

Posted : 03/15/2016 9:28 am

I totally understand how you feel. Been there, done that too many a times. I think my friends got quite tired at a point in time to always see me cancelling. Acne / Rosacea controls my life way more than it should, and it's due to my own insecurities thinking that people will notice how bad it is and start commenting cruelly.

MemberMember
(@jensweetone)

Posted : 03/15/2016 1:09 pm

Girl, I've been there. If it helps you at all-one of the best relationships I've had came at a time when my acne was out of control. I was so ashamed and horrified. No makeup made it better and I felt so awful. Finally a month into the relationship, I opened up to him about how much it bothered me and he told me it just wasn't a big deal to him. I have to force myself to go out with breakouts and trust me, it's worth it! You are such a beautiful human being. Go out there and date girlfriend