Notifications
Clear all

19 y/o Male Accutane Log

MemberMember
(@shane96)

Posted : 03/12/2016 11:07 am

Okay well, I've been on Accutane (Roaccutane for me cause I'm in Ireland) for 18 days now and I decided to make a log for people who are considering going on the drug or that are on the drug and what to get tips or info that I can give! 

So anyways, I'm a 19 year old male and I've had oily skin and acne since I was like 13/14. I got really bad acne including nodules and really oily skin, so oily people would comment on it sometimes! I tried many oral and topical treatments to try get rid of my acne including differin, dalacin and tetryasil (I don't think I spelt that right ). The only thing that did any good was the differin and dalacin topical treatments which i applied twice daily but they didn't help the oily skin! :( I had reeeaaally bad ice pick scarring on my temples and cheeks which have kind of faded since but are still pretty red. 

My acne continued to get a bit better and from the age of 18 it wasn't too bad (compared to how it was before) but was still annoying and all i could ever think about. it really destroyed my confidence and it holds me back from being more social and happy! :( 

Anyways, a few months ago I went to my doctor, totally fed up with dealing with acne, and asked him to refer me to a dermatologist to see my options because i decided that this was the year i would get rid of my acne cause i don't want to be waking up 5 years from now and still going to the mirror and applying these topical treatments and hating how i look! The dermo said that (ro)accutane was a good option for me cause i pretty much tried everything else. 

As for how you get your hands on accutane, i don't know if it's harder to get it in the US than it is to get it in Ireland but i basically had to do a blood test before getting the prescription which i got a few days after my bloods came back. i have to go for monthly blood tests and visit my dermo each month after the blood test.

So, basically I began Accutane 18 days ago and I started with a dose of 30mg per day. My dermo said i'd probably be going up to 60mg a day after the 1st or 2nd month, depending on how I'm doing etc. My treatment is for 6 months! 

(btw, i also have some acne on my chest and back)

As everyone pretty much knows, there's a lot of side affects when taking Accutane. So far, I've only encountered dry/flaky skin around my nose and lips and chin and dry lips. I use Clean and Clear oil free moisturiser for the dry skin, which i could apply constantly cause the dry skin is pretty much impossible to get rid of and regular lip balm for the dry lips which i carry around with me everywhere because my lips just get so dry.

I also take vitamin E and C supplements every morning to help my scars heal.

Okay so what have i noticed so far?

Well, apart from my skin becoming waaaaayyyyy less oily (yay!) and the side effects (dry skin and lips) my skin has improved a bit already. Considering that I'm using moisturiser and not using my topical prescription treatments thats really good! I still get breakouts but they seem to go in a day or two except for some red spots which hopefully will go away soon! I also notice that in the morning one of my nostrils might have some blood in them, i think nose bleeds are a common enough side effect of Accutane so I'm not worried about that! I still have blackheads but my scars have healed a bit and redness has gone down a bit too!

Skin care routine on Accutane:

Okay so basically all i do to my face since i started accutane is apply moisturiser multiple times throughout the day. i try and shave every two days to exfoliate the skin (it seems to be driest around areas i shave) and i wash my face afterwards. i don't really wash my face that much at the moment cause i find it makes my skin more drier. I was also recommended to use sun screen when going outside and to  be honest i haven't used it since starting treatment (cause it makes my skin dryer and i might be too lazy )

Diet:

Okay so i try to be as healthy as possible anyway but since i started Accutane I've started increasing my intake of Vitamin E along with taking a vitamin E tab every morning because it is good for healing scarring and caring for your skin. I have a smoothie with spinach or kale and a mixture of fruit (banana, strawberries, blueberries etc) with almond milk every morning to try and increase my intake of vit E and healthy food. :) 

Anyways, I'm gonna try and post updates every few days/weekly and if you guys want to ask me questions please feel free to do so :) 
Since i've only been on Accutane for 18 days and have already noticed positive changes to my acne and scarring I'm hoping that this treatment will be the final treatment i ever have to take for god damn acne!!

Okay so this is my first Accutane log ill post an update in a few days and answer any questions or comments you guys have! :) 

MemberMember
(@jett-alvarado)

Posted : 09/29/2016 1:11 pm

On 3/12/2016 at 10:07 AM, User517380 said:

d

Hey im 17 on my second month now 60 mg a day if you everyone need someone to talk to im here cause sometimes it gets hard for me i got better but there just days where i breakout and its hard but good luck !

MemberMember
(@meganomahony)

Posted : 10/18/2016 11:08 am

Hi going on roaccutane (in Ireland too) in two weeks after having acne since I'm 10 years old (23 now) have tried every tablet and cream under the sun, nervous because of all the side effects but the risk is worth it now. I don't have a medical card or private healthcare so wondering how much will the prescription cost monthly for me? Any information would be great