Beating my adult ac...

Notifications
Clear all

Beating my adult acne!

MemberMember
(@love17)

Posted : 03/04/2016 10:57 am

I'm a 22 year old who has had always had clear skin.
Along came adult acne.
Stil not got the faintest idea what brought it on? I eventually got bored and stressed out trying to find out the reason. It came about last August 2015, and got worse, after trying tea tree, dermalogica products, natural products, the list goes on... i finally caved in and went to the doctors who said I had mild to moderate acne and put me on acnecide (5% benzoyl peroxide).
Its now March 2016 and I've only been using it since November 2015 its helped me massively the bumps have gone the congestion of spots has gone and although I am still getting the odd spot and a few of the same spots coming back my skin is slowly getting back to normal and less spots are making a reapparance. I now have red marks left over from the acne which are slowly fading by keeping my face nice and moisturised with Cetaphil, recommended to be used with Acnecide. The red marks were really bad about January time because silly me wasnt using moisturiser. Lol.
Other factors I think have helped I also take 10mg Zinc and eat lots of sunflower and pumpkin seeds and drink 5 + cups of green tea a day. Cannot fault green tea for overall wellness! I also stopped using false tan on my face which I believe was probably irritating it and embraced my pale skin! I started taking my birth control at the same time every day as before I was taking it at random times each day and I thought it couldn't hurt to try keep what I'm putting into my body more balanced just in case it was something to do with hormones. (Im on Cerazette which I hear acne is a side affect but a I've been on it for 4 years and its never caused me to break out before)
I also tried to cut down on stress but as we all know - that's a hard one I'm still working on. Oh and the main thing ! I Never squeeze! Blackheads, whiteheads, congestion I now leave well alone!
I decided to come on here and tell people about my experience and share whats worked for me I'm not sure it will help as I know everybody's skin is different but Acnecide is working for me - minus the stupid dryness!
I look back on pictures of before I got acne and I can see to be fair I've always had a lot of congestion which caused a few bumps but it didn't really bother me that much, acnecide seems to have got rid of them too. There's still a long road ahead for me and my skin but I'm getting there! I hope this helps somebody, anybody when deciding what treatment to try for their adult acne.
If you have any questions please ask, I'm no acne expert but this is what's worked for my adult acne. Or, If your simply down in the dumps and just want to chat send me a message! I know exactly how you feel it's been horrible, still is even now it's clearing up!

MemberMember
(@betsy2013)

Posted : 04/29/2016 12:55 pm

Great that you've had a positive experience! I've just started using acnecide and cetaphil, as my skin started breaking out in red sore spots around my mouth, and I'm hoping this will settle it down. Had been using a concoction of Clarins stuff but trying to go back to the basics of just cleansing and treating, as I don't think I've outgrown acne just yet! Did you use the cetaphil moisturiser? I've purchased the lotion but haven't used it yet!!

MemberMember
(@love17)

Posted : 04/30/2016 4:34 pm

Hi Betsy
Wow I can't believe it's been 2 months since I first posted.
The acnecide continues too work well and I'm really glad you've decided to go with it! It really works at clearing the acne fast. Well by fast I mean about 4 months for me but that's fast in the world of acne!
Start by just using Cetaphil cleanser and applying this to your face with cotton wool when you feel your face has been cleaned then wet a cotton wool with lukewarm water and go over your face with that to make sure the cleanser is rinsed.
Try your best to wait twenty minutes before applying the acnecide after cleansing but if this is not possible you can get away with applying straight away, I have to do this in the mornings before work and it's still worked for me but it does say on the instructions it's best applied twenty minutes after cleansing.
Then try to wait atleast thirty minutes before applying your cetaphil moisturiser, this is important I found. You must give the acnecide time to dry and soak in. But yes certainly do not skip moisturiser I made this mistake and believe this is what caused my small amount of scarring because my face was soooo dry.
I still have hyperpigmentation but it is clearing more every day. Get rid of your existing acne before adding anything else to your routine. Since no acne has recurred on my cheeks for a while now I've added dermalogica daily microfoliant which is fabulous for clearing blackheads and congestion and leaving your face smooth and soft. It has salycic acid in it too which is another miracle ingredient for clearing skin.
Best wishes

MemberMember
(@betsy2013)

Posted : 05/01/2016 6:29 am

Thankyou I will try that!! I do find it stings a bit when I put it on straight after cleansing!! I haven't had any new ones just the old ones drying up, and the odd mark...so will persevere :) my skin has been feeling really tight and itchy so definitely think I need the moisturiser

MemberMember
(@love17)

Posted : 05/01/2016 11:22 am

Yes your skin will stop feeling tight soon it takes time for it to get used to the benzoyl!
That's brilliant you've not had any new ones! Keep focused!
Better skin awaits!