Notifications
Clear all

Can somebody explain dermarolling?

MemberMember
(@quanhenry)

Posted : 02/28/2016 2:06 pm

I have had acne scars for about a decade now. I had a couple fraxels done last year and am generally pleased with the results, but I dont think it is worth the cost to continue. I have been using AHA daily for about a month, and an antioxidant peel biweekly for a few months now. They seem to be smoothing out my complexion but obviously I can still see scarring up close. They are especially noticeable in direct sunlight, and hideous in the car.

I think most of my scars would rate as shallow at this point, and Im wondering if at home dermarolling is something I should look in to. I know very little about it, which one to use, how to use it, or how to implement it in to the regimen. Any info/experiences would be helpful, thanks.

MemberMember
(@nope-avi)

Posted : 02/28/2016 4:07 pm

http://dermaroller.owndoc.com/dermaroller-instructions.pdf

Read through those dermaroller instructions. They're extremely informative.

MemberMember
(@quanhenry)

Posted : 02/28/2016 4:23 pm

Thanks homie will read this tonight. Id still be interested in anybodys personal experience.

MemberMember
(@quanhenry)

Posted : 02/28/2016 11:46 pm

Just did some reading and Im not impressed. Looks like another acne scar treatment from deep in the rabbit hole. Pass.

MemberMember
(@nope-avi)

Posted : 02/29/2016 3:16 am

3 hours ago, QuanHenry said:

Just did some reading and Im not impressed. Looks like another acne scar treatment from deep in the rabbit hole. Pass.

That's unfortunate - it is an effective and cheap treatment.

Please have a look at some of the evidence behind it before being so dismissive.

https://scholar.google.li/scholar?q=%28microneedling%7Cdermaroller%7Cdermastamp%29+%28Atrophic+scar%7Cacne+scar%7Cscar%29&btnG=&hl=en&as_sdt=0%2C5

http://libgen.io/scimag/index.php?s=microneedling+&journalid=&v=&i=&p=&redirect=1

MemberMember
(@paul-b)

Posted : 02/29/2016 8:38 am

I agree with Nope.avi

Don't knock it before you've tried it and all that...

I'm yet to try it myself but I've read many positive things about it. I'm just trying to find out as much about everything as possible before I get started in order to maximise my chances of having a positive result.

I don't know what you read to put you off but I wouldn't dismiss it just yet. For a long time, I too have doubted the effectiveness it could possibly have compared to some other treatments out there but I'm coming around to the idea that it could in fact be the way to go.

As far as I can tell you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. It just requires a bit of commitment and patience.

Nope.avi liked
MemberMember
(@quanhenry)

Posted : 03/03/2016 11:43 pm

There has been very little research and professional testing on it. Im concerned it will make things worse, and uneven. Im going to stick with my peels for now, and maybe do 2 more fraxel restores.

MemberMember
(@nope-avi)

Posted : 03/04/2016 9:37 am

9 hours ago, QuanHenry said:

There has been very little research and professional testing on it. Im concerned it will make things worse, and uneven. Im going to stick with my peels for now, and maybe do 2 more fraxel restores.

You're taking the piss, right?
&
Awh jesus fuck, dude, atleast do Fraxel repairs. Restores are going to do absolutely nothing of note.

MemberMember
(@quanhenry)

Posted : 03/04/2016 2:36 pm

12 hours ago, Nope.avi said:
You're taking the piss, right?
&
Awh jesus fuck, dude, atleast do Fraxel repairs. Restores are going to do absolutely nothing of note.

I meant the fraxel dual, and it is effective and well tolerated. Repair isnt tolerated well and causes hypopigmentation. The notion that non-ablative lasers are pea shooters just isnt true.

lol "the piss" If that is the acne.org AHA, then yes, and I like it a lot. I also use an at home peel created by my laser dr.

MemberMember
(@dan34)

Posted : 03/04/2016 3:38 pm

I have seen people get impressive results from dermarolling/dermastamping if they give it at least a year or two. I have yet to see anyone get substantial results from laser with before and after pictures in the same lighting.

MemberMember
(@quanhenry)

Posted : 03/04/2016 7:24 pm

3 hours ago, Dan34 said:

I have seen people get impressive results from dermarolling/dermastamping if they give it at least a year or two. I have yet to see anyone get substantial results from laser with before and after pictures in the same lighting.

Ill be going to my laser doc this summer for some after shots and to discuss another round of fraxels. Ill post them then.

My skin would be so much clearer right now if I didnt have a purge when I started using aha and doing peels in dec/jan. I havent had a new pimple in about a month now and Im waiting for everything to clear up before I move on with more scar treatment.

MemberMember
(@quanhenry)

Posted : 03/05/2016 8:00 am

@Nope.avi What else do you recommend? Sell me on dermaroller, or needling? I don't have much experience with anything other than what Ive already mentioned.