Extremely oily skin...

Notifications
Clear all

Extremely oily skin.. Washing frequency

MemberMember
(@natuerwild)

Posted : 02/22/2016 11:53 pm

Hey all,

So I have extremely oily skin in combination of dehydrated skin. I suspect that my skin is so dehydrated that my body is overproducing oil to compensate.

The thing is I'm at loss on what to do. I drink at least 2L of water each date, applies Sebamed Moisturizing Gel morning and night, and it still feels extremely tight and dry after washing with Sebamed Liquid Body & Face wash.

Anyway I'm get recommendations on how often I should wash my skin. Most will suggest the 1x or 2x should be recommended for oily skin as the more you wash, the dried the skin becomes, and the more oil is produced. However I have an extreme case of oily skin. Within just 10 minutes of washing my face, my skin will already be shiny. If I slightly touch my nose, I can see some oil has already formed. By the end of 6 hours, you can LITERALLY see the oil (I have very big pores.)

I go through tissues like crazy each day just to tap the oil out. I don't see the oil absorbing sheets because I thought it may cause my skin to be too dry and because I think I'll go through a pack every few days. Am I doing this wrong? Should I not use tissues to tap the oil out? My reasoning is if I don't do this, my skin WILL definitely trap lots of dirt (How can it not.. Literally any dirt blown by the wind will get stuck on my face) and thus causing acne breakouts.

Truly at a loss.. Anyone has suggestions?

MemberMember
(@hopeless87)

Posted : 02/23/2016 9:34 pm

never wash more than 2x a day, whatever you do. i think the oil sheets are important. you could try adding vitamin A and D supplements to your diet. try switching to a cleanser with zinc. something like garnier clean sensitive http://www.garnierusa.com/products/skincare/facial-cleansers/sensitive-skin/clarifying-cleansing-gel.aspx ......avoid sulfates. sebamed always has sulfates. they actually disrupt the ph of your face. they make my skin really super oily...
a lot of people have luck controlling severely oily skin with regular plain "milk of magnesia" by putting a thin layer over their face with a cotton ball
http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=10870/Milk-of-Magnesia-Mask/No-Brand-%28DIY-or-homemade%29/Masks

MemberMember
(@natuerwild)

Posted : 02/24/2016 1:06 am

3 hours ago, hopeless87 said:

never wash more than 2x a day, whatever you do. i think the oil sheets are important. you could try adding vitamin A and D supplements to your diet. try switching to a cleanser with zinc. something like garnier clean sensitive http://www.garnierusa.com/products/skincare/facial-cleansers/sensitive-skin/clarifying-cleansing-gel.aspx ......avoid sulfates. sebamed always has sulfates. they actually disrupt the ph of your face. they make my skin really super oily...
a lot of people have luck controlling severely oily skin with regular plain "milk of magnesia" by putting a thin layer over their face with a cotton ball
http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=10870/Milk-of-Magnesia-Mask/No-Brand-%28DIY-or-homemade%29/Masks

Milk of Magnesia seems to be wonderful. However I read that some of the effects will make your skin feels "tight"? Doesn't this mean it's a bit drying?

I think my problem is my skin is so dehydrated and unable to restrain enough water on the skin, thus the oil gland produce excessively. While it seems the milk of magnesia will help my skin to be less oily, but doesn't it also mean it's actually doing more damage to the root cause?

MemberMember
(@hopeless87)

Posted : 02/24/2016 12:56 pm

yes, it is very alkaline which is very drying. its a quick fix and by no means a cure. people have stated wearing it everyday over long periods of time with no problems. but everyone is different.
how much water do you drink throughout the day? maybe you just need a lot more.

MemberMember
(@convinceme)

Posted : 02/24/2016 8:49 pm

7 hours ago, hopeless87 said:

yes, it is very alkaline which is very drying. its a quick fix and by no means a cure. people have stated wearing it everyday over long periods of time with no problems. but everyone is different.
how much water do you drink throughout the day? maybe you just need a lot more.

I don't think it's the amount of water we're drinking. I have very oily skin too and drink like an elephant, literally like 5 litres a day (not including the fruits and vegetables). However, it's still oily. I think oil blotting sheets are good but I try not to use too much of them because they soak up too much oil and cause the skin to produce more sebum. I just use a tissue to gently dab the face when I feel it's too oily so I get clear but not too devoid of oil. I think the skin still needs some.