Notifications
Clear all

acne dysmorphia?

MemberMember
(@ihateacne33)

Posted : 02/21/2016 8:39 pm

I've become completely obsessed with my acne.

even though it's better now (I'm about 5 months on accutane), I still hate it . it makes me so anxious. I don't see the "much better" skin that my mom and derm talk about , I still see the girl with twenty cysts on my face that I was months ago.

every little pimple sends me into panic. I constantly worry if it will grow into a cyst , or if it's already a cyst or I can tell, or I'll have these for the rest of my life, even after I'm done with my course.

its absolutely consuming me. I cannot stop constantly poking my face checking for pimples, or looking at the mirror examining my skin and coming back just a few minutes later.

i need help ... physically my skin IS better, but I still feel so gross, I feel like my acne is still severe, and it's completely taking over my thoughts. it's really hard to notice and be happy about the improvement when I'm this obsessed with my skin.

I can't be the only one who feels like this. Can anyone give advice?

MemberMember
(@honoredpaddle)

Posted : 02/23/2016 11:41 am

I have to work, so I don't have much time for giving you information, but I wanted to say "Yes". I think Acne Dysmorphia is a Thing. What I do in order to notice my improvement is take a picture every once in a while. Every 3 weeks or so (initially I was talking one daily and it was getting me even more depressed) to see my improvement. In a objective way. If a month ago I had 20 pimples and 10 cystic and now I have 20 Pimples but 1 cystic, may not be the miracle cure, but sure is working. I've had to come to the conclusion that is just like going to the gym: you are not getting fitter right away, and you may not notice change immediately, but after 3 month, looking back you'll see. I think another important part of recovery is tackling one's emotional health. There are thousand approaches.

This book is good in general, for tackling emotions. And is my most useful book, not only when it comes about acne, but about any negative emotion https://www.amazon.com/Feeling-Good-New-Mood-Therapy/dp/0380810336/

Finally I heard about Emotional freedom technique by tapping.

Emotional component in acne is really a big deal. I've been told by many people that I'm beautiful, and every time I hear that a voice in my head says "haven't they look at my skin?". I've find out that as people can see me as a whole, I only can see myself as my skin. And I've found out that they really don't care that much about my acne. Whenever I'm close to a friend who complains about their pimples I only see small red dots... whenever I look myself at the mirror I see a horrid skin. I've come to the conclusion, that there is a big possibility that I see my skin much more worse than it is, just as my friends think they have a volcano when all they have is a blemish. I've taken accutane, brith control, antibiotics, experimental medicine, all kind of creams and lotions, everything. And I've found out that what keeps me at home is not my acne, is myself. I've been successful at attracting theguys I like with horrible breakouts(I once decided to try an experiment) and I've seen that I don't know if my acne is going away or not, but I can't stop my life for it . If accutane is getting you a perfect skin in 10 months, well you can't sit there waiting for those 10 month to happen, hoping for it to give you back your confidence. Because when I finished my accutane, I was clearer than ever, but I was also emotionally scarred. My skin was clear but I felt insecure. I still behaved like if I had acne. Paradoxically, I'm more confident now that I have acne(again), because I realized that acne is not only in my skin, is also in my mind, and I'm also treating it.

Cheer up. What's going is normal. But normal doesn't mean it have to be that way.

MemberMember
(@jenguard82)

Posted : 02/24/2016 4:22 pm

It sounds like you may have acne dysmorphia. Google body dysmorphic disorder and you'll get a lot of information on it. I am a sufferer of BDD. I have been dealing with BDD since I was around 15 and I am 33 now. It does get easier to manage. You should seek professional help from a psychologist and also try cognitive behavioral therapy. If you want to read my story and struggle with BDD- I posted it on this website a few months back.

I know how hard it is to deal with the obsessive thoughts. When BDD is at it's worst for me I can spend 3-5 hours a day staring and scanning my face for acne. When I can't stare at my skin, I would flood my brain with thoughts about my skin. There is no escape from the thoughts and it even affects my dreams and my sleep sometimes.

Right now I am doing good. BDD always affects my daily life in some way big or small but I am not consumed about my acne. What really helps me is focusing on all the positive things in my life. I also exercise and stay extremely busy. Work is probably the worst for me because we are so slow and that's when I have the most time to think about my skin but I will immediately focus my thoughts on other things. Come up with an affirmation. Say it out loud and believe it. Realize that no one is perfect. We are all dealing with flaws and imperfections. My best advice I can give you is learn to love and accept yourself. Love your skin. Tell your skin it's beautiful. Believe your skin is healing and improving. When I stop focusing on my skin and I stop caring when I have a new zit, my skin clears up. I have only gotten one zit in a week. I got it this morning and I don't care. That's the kind of attitude you should adopt. Try not to stress about your skin. It's out of your control. Stress and anxiety make acne worse and cause more acne. Just stick to your skin care routine and move on. Focus on being happy. Think happy and positive thoughts. You may have to fake being happy at first but eventually you'll just be happy no matter what your skin looks like.

Best to you. I bet your skin looks beautiful. Remember we are our own worst critics.