Notifications
Clear all

Advice for dry face on Isotretinoin (Accutane)

MemberMember
(@millilo)

Posted : 02/11/2016 10:46 am

Hi all,

I am new here and was wondering if anyone could help!

I have been taking 40mg of Isotretinoin (Accutane) a day since the 24th January foracne on my back and chest. My lips started to dry up within a week, but have managed to sort that by putting Blistex Intensive Moisturiseron every evening and throughout the day I use Carmex lip balm. The trouble I am really having at the moment is with my face, it is soooo dry already, especially on my forehead, chin and around my nose.

Can anyone recommend any moisturisers that will help? I wear makeup (liquid foundation) everyday.

I have already tried (none of which have been successful):
- My usual Simple Kind To Skin Hydrating Light Moisturiser
-E45
-Eucerin Extra Dry Skin Intensive 10% w/ w Urea Treatment Lotion (this made all my paws clog up really badly and made me more spotty)

Someone has recommendedCetaphil Moisturising Cream orBoots Aqueous Cream B.P, but I am not sure as the person recommending it hasnever been on Isotretinoin (Accutane)

Please can someone advise me :)?

Thanks in advance!

MemberMember
(@acnehardcase)

Posted : 02/11/2016 1:49 pm

Cerave sa repairing lotion or any cerave moisturizer will help and not cause breakouts
i suggest using a sunscreen if you spend much time outside

millilo liked
MemberMember
(@femaleonaccutane)

Posted : 02/11/2016 1:50 pm

Hi there from the moisturizers that i have tried i really like the Cetaphil one. However sometimes my skin is really raw and even that can sting a bit. If you can splurge i really like the Josie Maran Argan Oil it's very soothing. It's quite pricey but a little goes along way. Definitely worth it in my opinion. Good luck on your journey.

millilo liked
MemberMember
(@jones4545)

Posted : 02/11/2016 1:55 pm

cetaphil is the most used, and the most recommended that I have seen. That and Cerave. I used cetaphil my first 2 courses and recently switched to cerave, it isnt nearly as oily as accutane but it doesnt work as well either.

millilo liked
MemberMember
(@millilo)

Posted : 02/11/2016 3:58 pm

Hi all,

Thank you so much for the replies, they were all really helpful :)

I popped into town after work and got Cetaphil Moisturising Cream and Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser.

I used the cleanser to take my makeup off before I got in the shower, then used the moisturiser after completely drying my face and oh my goodness, I can already feel the difference.

I am really glad I came on here for the advice, as I wasn't actually going to buy it originally! 

MemberMember
(@acnehardcase)

Posted : 02/11/2016 5:00 pm

Glad to help