Notifications
Clear all

Spironolactone in the UK?

MemberMember
(@coffeegirl30)

Posted : 02/08/2016 8:46 am

I finished a 6 months course of accutane in June 2015, but are still struggling with pumps and things which feels like black heads but are not, on my jaw line and throat. I did ask another dermatologist if I should do another round of the tane, but she said no, and at least not this soon after finishing my first treatment. BUT; I only just moved to the UK from abroad, and when googeling I found a drug called spironolactone. Have anyone tried this? And; can my GP prescribe me with this? Any thoughts or reviews?

MemberMember
(@drifting)

Posted : 02/08/2016 10:16 am

Idk if its a good idea to go to spironolactone because it's like a milder form of accutane and might mess up your hormones even more. :((( It might be better to just use a prescription topical like Epiduo, which is reaaaaally nice but reaaaaaally expensive. It basically helps with all surface acne by smoothing and exfoliating your skin. I suggest going in for a consultation and asking for samples -and make sure u get plenty! Dermatology offices get a helluva lot of these samples from the drug companies so they can spare a few.

If you do end up going on spiro, it's done wonders for my skin. I'm on 150 mg/day and your dosage might be lower or higher depending on what your threshold is. I spent months on 100mg with absolutely no effects. You can check out my post here for pics.

Good luck!! Make sure to double check everything with your dermatologist!

MemberMember
(@coffeegirl30)

Posted : 02/11/2016 5:33 am

On 8.2.2016 at 3:16 PM, drifting said:

Idk if its a good idea to go to spironolactone because it's like a milder form of accutane and might mess up your hormones even more. :((( It might be better to just use a prescription topical like Epiduo, which is reaaaaally nice but reaaaaaally expensive. It basically helps with all surface acne by smoothing and exfoliating your skin. I suggest going in for a consultation and asking for samples -and make sure u get plenty! Dermatology offices get a helluva lot of these samples from the drug companies so they can spare a few.

If you do end up going on spiro, it's done wonders for my skin. I'm on 150 mg/day and your dosage might be lower or higher depending on what your threshold is. I spent months on 100mg with absolutely no effects. You can check out my post here for pics.

Good luck!! Make sure to double check everything with your dermatologist!

Oh, I'm sorry you feel like it messes your hormones totally.
I have tried the epiduo and almost everything else there is (you kind of have to do that before you get to try accutane), but unfortunately I am too sensitive to use the epiduo....

I saw your posts, seems like it has done wonders for you! Wow! But you feel confident enough in the acne.org regimen to reduse the dosage? Amazing! I only have some small things left on my jawline and fron-neck, that's why I was hoping for this, but it seems that the more I read about it, the more I understand that it's not a "quick fix". Can't imagine going on a drug for years...

But; have you been refered to a derm through your GP, or are you seeing a private one?

MemberMember
(@drifting)

Posted : 02/11/2016 7:13 pm

Oh god yea even now after months of using it I can only manage a small pea-size amount of the epiduo mixed in with my moisturizer. It's definitely really harsh. :((

I'm actually using a private dermatologist so idk if you can get a gp to prescribe spironolactone. You could still try though? I hope it works for u if u ultimately decide to go on spiro...