Notifications
Clear all

Please helpl!!severe genetic acne, cured temporally by minocycline,

MemberMember
(@leilei)

Posted : 01/13/2016 7:14 pm

I have had severe acne since I was more or less 15 and now im 20. I know for sure mine is genetic b/c both my parents had. My mother went to a derm and got prescribed a pill and she got cured and my father he never went and told me he cleared up when he was 25. He has holes in his cheeks. Mine is only on my chin but I remember having around 10 different pimples. At this very moment I have 3 and only one of them is very noticeable. But my entire chin and the sides are red b/c of inflammation. One month ago I had around 5 noticeable pimples all over my chin. They get internal, red , big and with pus. I have been on minocycline 4 times and the first 2 times didn't worked at all. The 4th time I took it longer,(75 mg two times per day) for two months and it cleared my face(90-95%) to the point that I didnt use makeup and was happy with myself. This happiness lasted only for three months. I was even going to social activities which in the past i didn't do b/c of it. I need to admit that this has been for the first time in many years that my face was this clear. I stopped using it b/c my doctor only gave it to me for 2 months and guess what? It came back. It came again and also severe. Need to admit that not as bad as before but still severe. Right now im on 100 mg of minocycline two times per day and it will be for around 4 months. Im scared b/c I think when I stop taking it, my acne will come again since it is antibiotic. Im also scared of the side effects this can be causing me. My derm told me if this continues he is going to see what happens with Accutane but he told me that it is a very big step from where im now to Accutane. He told me I need to be checked every week or something like that. Since my acne is bad but not as bad a severe severe the doctors don't know exactly what to do with it. I have been for one year on benzoil peroxide 5% and tazorac( topical creams) 5696e855dbf06_day6areglado.png.7e8698f7fand 6 month doing chemical peeling on my face every two weeks.  I don't know what else I can do.

sorry for any grammar errors, English is my second language

MemberMember
(@m-l)

Posted : 01/14/2016 11:32 pm

Hello,

I'm new here but I'd been dealing with acne for years, so my knowledge about acne is mediocre. I'm no expert.

I'm also taking minocycline right now so that was what made me interested in seeing this post.

I'd be interested in talking how I'm dealing with it but that doesn't matter much here.

What products are you using to clean your face right now? If the products aren't working then maybe you should try something new but be careful because it may worsen your acne like how the Body Shop's green tea wash did to me.

From what I understand about bacteria, it isn't good to keep using antibiotics because eventually bacteria may become resistant to it. Try using more natural methods because it may work out for you. You just got to do research online and try everything. I don't think natural methods can harm you too much because all the methods are natural. Whether it's rice water, tea leaves, honey, just try them out.

You also may have to fix your habits to lessen the acne. It may be your sleep, stress, diet, and hydration. Try to sleep before midnight, it'll help. You could also reduce stress by taking some time out of your busy life to do something you enjoy. Diet is important because eating junk food and oily foods are going to make it worse. Lastly, drinking water is important because of how much it is used in the body, such as filtering toxins out of your body when you pee.

In summary
- try a new skin set or natural methods
- fix your habits

From little of what I know about accutane, it is for severe acne but in your case it may be needed because your acne keeps coming back. Which is probably why your doctor said it's a big step because your acne is probably light/intermediate due to you having acne only on the chin.

I hope you fix your acne and I understand it can affect your self-esteem since I deal with it too.

Good luck.

Also, could it be like a dirty scarf or sweater or whatever it is you're wearing around your chin?

MemberMember
(@kotaw)

Posted : 01/15/2016 1:53 am

Four courses of Minocycline seems like a lot to me. The problem with most antibiotics is that the bacteria will actually become immune to them. Have you tried the acne.org Regiment? From the picture it does not look like it is all that severe, and Benzoyl Peroxide is very effective.

MemberMember
(@leilei)

Posted : 01/17/2016 1:16 am

On 1/14/2016 806, M.L. said:

Hello,

I'm new here but I'd been dealing with acne for years, so my knowledge about acne is mediocre. I'm no expert.

I'm also taking minocycline right now so that was what made me interested in seeing this post.

I'd be interested in talking how I'm dealing with it but that doesn't matter much here.

What products are you using to clean your face right now? If the products aren't working then maybe you should try something new but be careful because it may worsen your acne like how the Body Shop's green tea wash did to me.

From what I understand about bacteria, it isn't good to keep using antibiotics because eventually bacteria may become resistant to it. Try using more natural methods because it may work out for you. You just got to do research online and try everything. I don't think natural methods can harm you too much because all the methods are natural. Whether it's rice water, tea leaves, honey, just try them out.

You also may have to fix your habits to lessen the acne. It may be your sleep, stress, diet, and hydration. Try to sleep before midnight, it'll help. You could also reduce stress by taking some time out of your busy life to do something you enjoy. Diet is important because eating junk food and oily foods are going to make it worse. Lastly, drinking water is important because of how much it is used in the body, such as filtering toxins out of your body when you pee.

In summary
- fix your habits

From little of what I know about accutane, it is for severe acne but in your case it may be needed because your acne keeps coming back. Which is probably why your doctor said it's a big step because your acne is probably light/intermediate due to you having acne only on the chin.

I hope you fix your acne and I understand it can affect your self-esteem since I deal with it too.

Good luck.

Also, could it be like a dirty scarf or sweater or whatever it is you're wearing around your chin?

hey! THanks for replying right now day #13 minocycline the redness on my chin almost dissapeared.i still got the pimples but i guess i can handle it. Im starting college next week and hope to use no makeup.Lets see. I even made an appointment at the endocrinologist but it is on April.. I always drink lotss of water.. And yes im a very stressed person and sometimes i dont sleep enough hours b/c of exams. I have always been like this but the very first week of college im going to try to go to a phycologist at my university (since it is free) to look for help. (Both for my overstressed life and my confidence issues) im also going to try to go more to the gym. lets see.. about the excercise area, i used to play a lot (3 to 4 times per week) of volleyball and my acne was also severe.. also where i live is very hot and humid so the weather contributes to it.. i know my acne is mostly caused by stress, genetics, and maybe the weather and junk food. Thanks for the advice and will take everything into consideration.

Hello,

In summary
- fix your habits

Good luck.

hey! THanks for replying right now day #13 minocycline the redness on my chin almost dissapeared.i still got the pimples but i guess i can handle it. Im starting college next week and hope to use no makeup.Lets see. I even made an appointment at the endocrinologist but it is on April.. I always drink lotss of water.. And yes im a very stressed person and sometimes i dont sleep enough hours b/c of exams. I have always been like this but the very first week of college im going to try to go to a phycologist at my university (since it is free) to look for help. (Both for my overstressed life and my confidence issues) im also going to try to go more to the gym. lets see.. about the excercise area, i used to play a lot (3 to 4 times per week) of volleyball and my acne was also severe.. also where i live is very hot and humid so the weather contributes to it.. i know my acne is mostly caused by stress, genetics, and maybe the weather and junk food. Thanks for the advice and will take everything into consideration.
I use as a soap beta hydroxy acne cleanser for oil and blemish control salacylic acid 2 percent and at the night glycolic acid 20 percent

Hello,

In summary
- fix your habits

Good luck.

I use as a soap beta hydroxy acne cleanser for oil and blemish control salacylic acid 2 percent and at the night glycolic acid 20 percent

31 minutes ago, leilei said:
MemberMember
(@leilei)

Posted : 01/17/2016 1:34 am

On 1/14/2016 1013, KotaW said:

Four courses of Minocycline seems like a lot to me. The problem with most antibiotics is that the bacteria will actually become immune to them. Have you tried the acne.org Regiment? From the picture it does not look like it is all that severe, and Benzoyl Peroxide is very effective.

hey! Yeah this is the 4th time . The first 2 ones only 50 mg one per day only one month. The 3rd time 75 mg two per day and did a lot and my skin was 92%clear for about 3 months. Stopped using it and stayed clear for one month. During finals my chin got about 3 to 5 pimples (big, red and with pus and around them ver inflamed) that is why my derm called it severe but this picture is from 2 weeks with the antibiotic and that is why it doesnt look as bad. And yes im very concerned about the resistance part and the side effects part. I havent try it does it work well since my acne is more internal. Is more hormonal bc of stress and genetics.Wish I could put a picture of my chin a month ago and you could see all the redness and how more inflamed it was. not gonna lie, it been like that inflamed almost every time of the year except for vacations and these past times I used the antibiotic. My face wasn't that clear since 5 to 6 years go. My friends where congratulating me b/c of the improvement.

MemberMember
(@leilei)

Posted : 01/17/2016 1:50 am

33 minutes ago, leilei said:
I use as a soap beta hydroxy acne cleanser for oil and blemish control salacylic acid 2 percent and at the night glycolic acid pads20 percent
MemberMember
(@baxtermcdoobinson)

Posted : 01/17/2016 2:01 am

Using the tetracycline family of antibiotics with obvious success would point towards bacterial imbalances being the culprit. Now you can definitely blame your genetic predisposition for this as well because transcriptional regulation can control keratinocytes' development along with bacterial colonization. The only downside to antibiotic treatment is the inherent danger of cultivating a strain of bacterial-resistant P. Acnes colony.

MemberMember
(@kotaw)

Posted : 01/17/2016 11:49 pm

Of course if it does become antibacterial resistant, there are plenty of other treatment options. It just seemed odd to me that a Dermatologist would repeatedly use antibiotics for long term acne control. But I'm no expert hahaha.

MemberMember
(@baxtermcdoobinson)

Posted : 01/19/2016 1:37 am

On 1/17/2016, 1127, KotaW said:

Of course if it does become antibacterial resistant, there are plenty of other treatment options. It just seemed odd to me that a Dermatologist would repeatedly use antibiotics for long term acne control. But I'm no expert hahaha.

It's so much worse than one could imagine. So many medical physicians routinely practice the fine art of overprescribing broad spectrum antibiotics. I only use antibiotics if it's associated with preventative infections after surgery and I always take a probiotic alongside to help lower the potential for bacterial harmony. antibacterial resistant propionibacterium acnes has been slowly increasing in it's frequency of encouter in the U.K and Europe. I'm sure it's a lot worse, but not fully covered because the United States is the only country with some outrageous restrictions to pharmaceutical sales. U.K and Europe are similar as well, but adjacent countries are usually there to fill the need.

You can find them on the internet as well, but good luck finding out the antibiotics are 5-6 years old. Or they are for aquatic and veterinarian use. Still work just fine, but it's strange reading over the inclosed information.

I