Jump to content
Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CoolPerson123

Makeup for men? (Mild Acne Scarring?)

Yo guys! First of all, happy new year! I hope 2015 was great for you and I hope that this new year of 2016 will be even better! :D

Anyways, I'll try to make this as short as possible. (SKIP TO THE 2ND PARAGRAPH TO GET TO THE POINT IF YOU'RE IN A HURRY! :) )

I'm a 17 year old male that has mild scarring at worse. I would say that 87% of people with acne scars have slightly worse or way worse scars than me and 13% people with acne scars have less noticeable scars than I do. So in other words, I'm not too bad but I could be better. And to be honest, lighting has a HUGE part on how I look. In some lighting, I look very good, basically scarless even! But in other lighting... Yeah, NO... There have been numerous times where a reflection of myself (in bad lighting for my skin; lighting that makes me look bad) has been close to making me want to cry... No joke, it sucks. But, I have accepted the fact that acne scars will be a part of me for a long time and that I at least look pretty good in lighting that's not too bright and directly over my face. :')

 

Since I still get acne (although MUCH less severe and numerous now; sometimes I go through periods of no break outs even!), and young and not rich enough to afford expensive scar treatments; I have been using Maybelline BB Cream Pure with 2.5% Salycic acid as a "small concealment" everyday I go out (school, weekends if I do hang out, etc). I like it because it does cover me enough to a point where I feel a little more confident bit and it's unnoticeable to others. Even my ex girlfriend (broke up 2 months ago :( ) couldn't tell I had BB cream on even when I told her!

Anyways, the point is that I want to "up" or "get" a little more coverage than what I get covered by from the BB Cream. I've noticed that in some lighting, the BB cream coverage looks VERY minimal. And while that's great for people with dark/red marks, I do have some "real" scarring. What I'm trying to say is what make-up product(s) could I use to cover my whole face (or at least certain scarred areas) a little more than BB cream, while not looking super obvious that I'm wearing make up? Remember, I'm a male so I need something that ISN'T too obvious. If there are any other males here who wear makeup for the same reasons as I, it would be great to hear from you! :) Please help and sorry for the LOOONG post aha. Take care y'all! :D 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hey, HAPPY NEW YEAR! :surprised:

i have accumulated a huge makeup collection because i am so picky about makeup. i like it to look very natural. right now i think the best is revlon's nearly naked foundation. i also use revlon colorstay concealer on top of red spots if its needed. looks very natural and doesnt have a weird makeup-y look after a few hours. 99% of makeup out there makes me look cakey or too shiny after a while. if you want it to look natural make sure the color is a 100% match for your skintone and always double check how you look out in natural sunlight. sometimes you try something new and it looks so good and then you get in your car and you look orange and streaky!

Edited by hopeless87

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, hopeless87 said:

hey, HAPPY NEW YEAR! :surprised:

i have accumulated a huge makeup collection because i am so picky about makeup. i like it to look very natural. right now i think the best is revlon's nearly naked foundation. i also use revlon colorstay concealer on top of red spots if its needed. looks very natural and doesnt have a weird makeup-y look after a few hours. 99% of makeup out there makes me look cakey or too shiny after a while. if you want it to look natural make sure the color is a 100% match for your skintone and always double check how you look out in natural sunlight. sometimes you try something new and it looks so good and then you get in your car and you look orange and streaky!

Thanks for the happy new year comment! :D 

 

That sounds awesome, I think I'm gonna give it a try! And yeah, I'll make sure to get it in my skin tone! And good advice about the sunlight thing; I wasn't aware of that. :P 

 

So I have a few questions and I'm assuming it's a "yes", do you think that this make up thing you recommended to me has more coverage than a typical BB cream per say (since that's the only thing I use right now as "make up")?  

And will it look okay (not too noticeable) since I'm a guy? Thanks for the help so far! :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ive never tried maybelline pure bb cream but this should have much more coverage though. i would say this is light to medium coverage but you can build it up if you need it. everyone is different, some foundations look really good on some people and really bad on me. but this looks really nice on me. a lot of drugstores will take makeup back if it doesnt work out for you.  not sure where you are but the drugstore rite aid does for sure. i would check with the drugstore first. a lot of people really like revlon's colorstay foundation, i think that is heavier. but if your main concern is it looking natural i would try nearly naked first. the heavier you go with it the more obvious it looks like your wearing makeup. i also think they are discontinuing this soon (i just found that out today) so if you like it a lot, maybe stock up. thats what im going to do. sad.

Edited by hopeless87

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, hopeless87 said:

ive never tried maybelline pure bb cream but this should have much more coverage though. i would say this is light to medium coverage but you can build it up if you need it. everyone is different, some foundations look really good on some people and really bad on me. but this looks really nice on me. a lot of drugstores will take makeup back if it doesnt work out for you.  not sure where you are but the drugstore rite aid does for sure. i would check with the drugstore first. a lot of people really like revlon's colorstay foundation, i think that is heavier. but if your main concern is it looking natural i would try nearly naked first. the heavier you go with it the more obvious it looks like your wearing makeup. i also think they are discontinuing this soon (i just found that out today) so if you like it a lot, maybe stock up. thats what im going to do. sad.

Revlon nearly naked it is then! And there's actually a Rite Aid really close to me and that's cool that they do that. And let's hope that they don't discontinue it for the sake of us and many others lol...

Anyways, I guess I'm gonna get it sometime either this weekend or upcoming week and later let you know if I like it or not. Thanks for the help! Learned a lot! :) I have one last question for now though, do you think it's okay wearing that BB cream I use under this foundation?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

used cover sticks growing up, and then other foundations as I was desperate to cover the mess of my skin. 

I'd suggest you go minimal, no full coverage just pin point what u want covered. 

I've been called out with it many times as a kid, and trust me you don't want that!

if u go full face, ppl will notice don't think otherwise!

concentrate on good skin care, and eating healthy. this will less redden your skin in general, then pinpoint the bad areas u want covered.

The words "less is more", for a guy is paramount!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, OilyOneCanobe said:

used cover sticks growing up, and then other foundations as I was desperate to cover the mess of my skin. 

I'd suggest you go minimal, no full coverage just pin point what u want covered. 

I've been called out with it many times as a kid, and trust me you don't want that!

if u go full face, ppl will notice don't think otherwise!

concentrate on good skin care, and eating healthy. this will less redden your skin in general, then pinpoint the bad areas u want covered.

The words "less is more", for a guy is paramount!

Thanks man! Good advice. The thing is, what did you use to pin point cover certain areas? Did you use concealer? Something else? And the healthy diet and taking care of my skin thing is something I've started doing not too long ago. And it's working gradually. :)  

Edited by CoolPerson123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, CoolPerson123 said:

Thanks man! Good advice. The thing is, what did you use to pin point cover certain areas? Did you use concealer? Something else? And the healthy diet and taking care of my skin thing is something I've started doing not too long ago. And it's working gradually. :)  

This is what I used, but 1 shade darker as; they seem not to sell my shade anymore though. It was some years ago now. http://www.thebodyshop.co.uk/shop-by-range/tea-tree/tea-tree-concealer.aspx

I would apply it onto my fingers and then pin point cover where needed, used to blend in well. didn't cake dry in the afternoon, and tea tree doesn't clog skin

Edited by OilyOneCanobe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, OilyOneCanobe said:

This is what I used, but 1 shade darker as; they seem not to sell my shade anymore though. It was some years ago now. http://www.thebodyshop.co.uk/shop-by-range/tea-tree/tea-tree-concealer.aspx

I would apply it onto my fingers and then pin point cover where needed, used to blend in well. didn't cake dry in the afternoon, and tea tree doesn't clog skin

I'm American so I don't know if I can buy something from there but thanks anyways! I'll check out that product somewhere else. :) I think I'm gonna go with your advice and buy a concealer whether it be this one or another one and use small amounts on certain areas. Sounds pretty good to me. Thanks for the help! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

20 minutes ago, CoolPerson123 said:

I'm American so I don't know if I can buy something from there but thanks anyways! I'll check out that product somewhere else. :) I think I'm gonna go with your advice and buy a concealer whether it be this one or another one and use small amounts on certain areas. Sounds pretty good to me. Thanks for the help! 

no problem. I'm sure amazon will do something similar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you don't mind some tattoos then they do an excellent job.  A few of my tattoos perfectly covered up some teenage bacne battle scars.  My shoulders had a little bit of hyperpigmentation as well that covered up 100%!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2 January 2016 at 5:14:38 AM, hopeless87 said:


hey, HAPPY NEW YEAR! :surprised:

i have accumulated a huge makeup collection because i am so picky about makeup. i like it to look very natural. right now i think the best is revlon's nearly naked foundation. i also use revlon colorstay concealer on top of red spots if its needed. looks very natural and doesnt have a weird makeup-y look after a few hours. 99% of makeup out there makes me look cakey or too shiny after a while. if you want it to look natural make sure the color is a 100% match for your skintone and always double check how you look out in natural sunlight. sometimes you try something new and it looks so good and then you get in your car and you look orange and streaky!



Hello try skino2 unisex make up it has excellent coverage but still looks natural & feels good when working out! 
Most importantly it wont make you breakout and helps reduce the skin
redness treating & helping protect the skin at the same time. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a male and I use bare minerals. It's amazing. Saved my life.

it's so so so natural .. All my female friends didn't even know I was wearing any! I think it's because it's so light. Doesn't break me out either. It's not heavy, and doesn't provide full coverage for acne - but for scars and marks it works a gem.

honestly could not recommend enough. It looks like skin, not makeup. You want to avoid liquid makeup if you want to look natural

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lore91 said:

I'm a male and I use bare minerals. It's amazing. Saved my life.

it's so so so natural .. All my female friends didn't even know I was wearing any! I think it's because it's so light. Doesn't break me out either. It's not heavy, and doesn't provide full coverage for acne - but for scars and marks it works a gem.

honestly could not recommend enough. It looks like skin, not makeup. You want to avoid liquid makeup if you want to look natural

Is that like foundation?  I tried to Macgever my way into beauty with what I think was my sister's foundation (little circle container with a specific shade inside and a pad?).  I looked like a complete ghost or resembled the horrific make up work for the vampires in The Twilight series.  I have yet to experience a need to hide the state of my skin with make up.  If there is alot of inflammation then prioritize anti-inflammatory foods and use an astrigent and/.or repair lotion or something along the lines with a redness soothing compounds like aloe vera. 

Witch hazel works for me, but I don't think I've had enough acne and inflammation to warrant trying make up since I was 15-16.

The goal is just hiding the unsightly inflammation and a naproxen mask or using ciruiis fruit's juice as an alpha-hydroxy acid (ascorbic acid). Edited by BaxterMcDoobinson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On January 6, 2016 at 8:05:55 PM, BaxterMcDoobinson said:

If you don't mind some tattoos then they do an excellent job.  A few of my tattoos perfectly covered up some teenage bacne battle scars.  My shoulders had a little bit of hyperpigmentation as well that covered up 100%!

That's a cool way to cover acne scars! Sadly, most are on my face. :P
18 hours ago, Lore91 said:

I'm a male and I use bare minerals. It's amazing. Saved my life.

it's so so so natural .. All my female friends didn't even know I was wearing any! I think it's because it's so light. Doesn't break me out either. It's not heavy, and doesn't provide full coverage for acne - but for scars and marks it works a gem.

honestly could not recommend enough. It looks like skin, not makeup. You want to avoid liquid makeup if you want to look natural

Awesome! I'm interested in this product. Can you tell me what product it is exactly? Also, does it do a decent job at covering acne and maybe even indented acne scars? Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, CoolPerson123 said:
That's a cool way to cover acne scars! Sadly, most are on my face. :P Awesome! I'm interested in this product. Can you tell me what product it is exactly? Also, does it do a decent job at covering acne and maybe even indented acne scars? Thanks!

Yeah it's a little sensitive in that area...

I got my neck covered and around my ears.  Only place that really needed it was my shoulders from those terrible 13's.  I loved picking before I understood how horrible that was.  If you got just minor scarring or hyperpigmentation then go to a dermatologist for a legit chemical peel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BaxterMcDoobinson said:

Yeah it's a little sensitive in that area...

I got my neck covered and around my ears.  Only place that really needed it was my shoulders from those terrible 13's.  I loved picking before I understood how horrible that was.  If you got just minor scarring or hyperpigmentation then go to a dermatologist for a legit chemical peel.
Alrighty then, I'll consider a chemical peel. The dents I have aren't too bad but, they're still dents in the end. :( And my forehead has plenty of dents. :'( thankfully my cheeks and rest of my face is clear of these scars and instead have redness and a few red marks. :/ My scarring isn't horrible and sometimes in certain lighting I forget that I even have scarring but then, I look at a mirror that's got bad lighting around and BAM! My skin looks TERRIBLE to me lol... Anyways, I'll talk to my dermatologist about my scarring and what I can do. Thanks! Also, have you or anyone else tried derma rolling before? Does it work? Thanks! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, CoolPerson123 said:
Alrighty then, I'll consider a chemical peel. The dents I have aren't too bad but, they're still dents in the end. :( And my forehead has plenty of dents. :'( thankfully my cheeks and rest of my face is clear of these scars and instead have redness and a few red marks. :/ My scarring isn't horrible and sometimes in certain lighting I forget that I even have scarring but then, I look at a mirror that's got bad lighting around and BAM! My skin looks TERRIBLE to me lol... Anyways, I'll talk to my dermatologist about my scarring and what I can do. Thanks! Also, have you or anyone else tried derma rolling before? Does it work? Thanks! 

Just remember that we're all unique and because of that our results could be drastically different.  I routinely use peptides and and coincidentally I just finished a class in my semester last year.  Introductory medical chemistry which is just organic chemistry and pharmacology, but someone said, "Hey let's make this really confusing."  I'm sure if you plan the date of procedure, then craft a diet that has the appropriate synergistic vitamins or minerals, and if you gave yourself a realistic time frame to work from you may give yourself an a little boost for the integumentary system and more importantly the endocrine system.  It won't be anything insane, but you may be surprised  how your body runs when  at optimal performance. 
I definitely didn't sustain that level though because it becomes way too expensive for someone who already destroyed their credit.  Wouldn't be bad, but school inevitably leads to me being on the edge between couch surfing and being an aggressive panhandling bum in the hallways.

I've never used the Dermaroller, but I do have a friend that has made an addiction out of scar needling, but it's spiced up with Humalog insulin on the hypodermic needle's point.  I can say it was way more of an overall improvement iin terms of texture improvement.  He's been at it for quite a while and it's just a 1CC 28 gauge 1/2 hypodermic syringe(s), he use specifically  Humalog Long-Acting Insulin.  I have no clue what it's biological nomenclature is for specifics. 

You then pick out a section to work on, ensure you have a secondary syringe to pull from the vial periodically and fill his little cup for dipping.  The primary one is just for a controlled puncture to apparent fibrous scarring or divets from the degradation of a pore due to P. Acnes presence.  You have to very precise too with making sure what was supposed to be a micropuncture turned into skewering the cheek. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's just bare minerals foundation :) i even went into the store and sat down and had the lady put the makeup on me so i could get my perfect colour! Sure i was a bit embarrassed being a guy, but at the end of the day i'll never see any of them again and I ended up getting a shade thats good for me :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, BaxterMcDoobinson said:

Just remember that we're all unique and because of that our results could be drastically different.  I routinely use peptides and and coincidentally I just finished a class in my semester last year.  Introductory medical chemistry which is just organic chemistry and pharmacology, but someone said, "Hey let's make this really confusing."  I'm sure if you plan the date of procedure, then craft a diet that has the appropriate synergistic vitamins or minerals, and if you gave yourself a realistic time frame to work from you may give yourself an a little boost for the integumentary system and more importantly the endocrine system.  It won't be anything insane, but you may be surprised  how your body runs when  at optimal performance. 
I definitely didn't sustain that level though because it becomes way too expensive for someone who already destroyed their credit.  Wouldn't be bad, but school inevitably leads to me being on the edge between couch surfing and being an aggressive panhandling bum in the hallways.

I've never used the Dermaroller, but I do have a friend that has made an addiction out of scar needling, but it's spiced up with Humalog insulin on the hypodermic needle's point.  I can say it was way more of an overall improvement iin terms of texture improvement.  He's been at it for quite a while and it's just a 1CC 28 gauge 1/2 hypodermic syringe(s), he use specifically  Humalog Long-Acting Insulin.  I have no clue what it's biological nomenclature is for specifics. 

You then pick out a section to work on, ensure you have a secondary syringe to pull from the vial periodically and fill his little cup for dipping.  The primary one is just for a controlled puncture to apparent fibrous scarring or divets from the degradation of a pore due to P. Acnes presence.  You have to very precise too with making sure what was supposed to be a micropuncture turned into skewering the cheek. 
True about everyone being different. And well, that's pretty awesome to hear that dermarolling has seemed to help your friend. :) Most people seem to have a positive experience with it. I'll have to actually try it sometime in the near future, I may even document my experience with it on here! I think I'm just gonna stick with dermarolling only though lol. I'll combine it with my MSM cream. Of course, I still want to get either TCA peel(s) or laser treatment one day... But that might take a little longer to get too. Anyways, thanks for the reply!
16 hours ago, Lore91 said:

It's just bare minerals foundation :) i even went into the store and sat down and had the lady put the makeup on me so i could get my perfect colour! Sure i was a bit embarrassed being a guy, but at the end of the day i'll never see any of them again and I ended up getting a shade thats good for me :)


Man, that bare minerals foundation sounds amazing haha. I have one last question before I go out and buy it though... You see, I use Maybelline Dream Pure BB Cream and the coverage is a million times better than my normal skin (slight exaggeration but you get the point XD) but still very light imo... Do you think this foundation would provide slightly more coverage than the BB cream I currently use? Also does it last a while? Cause $20-$30 for a foundation is kinda expensive for me lol. Edited by CoolPerson123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/16/2016, 3:09:56, TinaG said:


Hello try skino2 unisex make up it has excellent coverage but still looks natural & feels good when working out! 
Most importantly it wont make you breakout and helps reduce the skin
redness treating & helping protect the skin at the same time. 
 
Another product I'll consider for the future, thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry for the late response.

Bare minerals will give you an even colour very naturally - it's lightweight so it won't look like you're even wearing any, and lasts a long time. 

However because it is lightweight your bb cream probably provides heavier and fuller coverage.

I have little acne scarring but a lot of red marks and redness which this hides - as to whether it will improve the image of indentation... I can't say with 100% accuracy, but then again I'm not sure if any makeup will

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Personalized Advice Quiz - All of Acne.org in just a few minutes


×