Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AccutaneUser11

Should I stop taking Accutane?

Hey, I am a 17 year old male who has been taking 40mg of Accutane daily for about 1.5 months. I have a feeling that my libido has dropped. No longer do I feel as sexual (I believe my libido was towards the lower end of teens before beginning anyways). Should I stop the medication? Accutane has cleared up my face to some degree, but I am not willing to risk my long-term sexual health for it. Also, I suspect to have low testosterone if that makes any difference. Thanks for any responses!

I would never recommend accutane to begin with unless you had done a full 6 to 10 months of an external retinoid like tretinoin. I can't imagine using a fully loaded gun like that in my body when the problem is the external oil glands. Seems dangerous and WAY overkill. 

For some people, it's the only thing that works. I had acne for 20 years -- and was really nervous to take it -- but I had tried everything and my only regret was that I hadn't started much sooner!!!