Notifications
Clear all

I'M DESPERATE! Oily skin is out of control!

MemberMember
(@liquidhazel)

Posted : 12/08/2015 11:54 am

Hi everyone. I'm really hoping someone can help me, as I'm at my wits end. I'm a 30 year old female who has major oily skin. Here is my current regimen:

Morning: At 7:30am I exfoliate my face with St. Ives apricot scrub with warm water. I then pat my face dry. Last, I add 2-3 drops of Jojoba oil to my face (I heard it helps manage oily skin but no such luck). I do not wear powder or foundation. I sometimes skip the exfoliation and just use Desert Essence face wash instead.

By around 11am my face is an oil slick. I go to the bathroom and wash it with only warm water...because I cannot stand how my face feels/looks.

This lasts until about 3pm. By 3pm my face is an oil slick again. I sometimes put Cover Girl oil absorbent powder on but it doesn't help much. 

I get home around 5:30pm and wash my face with Desert Essence face wash immediately because my face feels so oily and gross. Then, I apply witchazel toner. Before bed around 10:30pm, I rinse my face with warm water again and apply Oil of Olay night recovery cream (because I'm also trying to prevent wrinkles).

That's it! Due to my oily skin I tend to break out around my chin area. I feel if I could get the oil under control I would hardly break out. 

I've tried Proactiv, astringents, Milk of Magnesia, oil controlling gels/creams...nothing works. I recently read about just washing your face with warm water twice a day and doing nothing else. I would like to try that...but I'm a little nervous. Maybe I will do that and use Jojoba oil at night for moisturization/wrinkle prevention? 

Please let me know what you guys think and if you have any advice. I'm desperate :(

MemberMember
(@purplestove)

Posted : 12/10/2015 10:24 pm

I recently have been noticing myskin gettingless oily (from almost 10 oil-blottersheets a day to about4), but it's hard to pinpoint what's doing it cause I changed a few things recently.I've beendrinking 2 concoctions per dayof water with lemon juice and msm powderand taking maca root. I also started using a mix of aloe vera and msm powder as a toner 2x daily.I thought it was also from being extra healthy lately (green smoothies, salads, fresh veggies, etc) but I had my wisdom teeth pulled last week so it's been lots of processed soups and protein shakes and I'm still looking less oily.

MemberMember
(@oyinkan98)

Posted : 12/10/2015 11:01 pm

On December 8, 2015 at 1131 AM, Liquidhazel said:

Hi everyone. I'm really hoping someone can help me, as I'm at my wits end. I'm a 30 year old female who has major oily skin. Here is my current regimen:

Morning: At 7:30am I exfoliate my face with St. Ives apricot scrub with warm water. I then pat my face dry. Last, I add 2-3 drops of Jojoba oil to my face (I heard it helps manage oily skin but no such luck). I do not wear powder or foundation. I sometimes skip the exfoliation and just use Desert Essence face wash instead.

By around 11am my face is an oil slick. I go to the bathroom and wash it with only warm water...because I cannot stand how my face feels/looks.

This lasts until about 3pm. By 3pm my face is an oil slick again. I sometimes put Cover Girl oil absorbent powder on but it doesn't help much. 

I get home around 5:30pm and wash my face with Desert Essence face wash immediately because my face feels so oily and gross. Then, I apply witchazel toner. Before bed around 10:30pm, I rinse my face with warm water again and apply Oil of Olay night recovery cream (because I'm also trying to prevent wrinkles).

That's it! Due to my oily skin I tend to break out around my chin area. I feel if I could get the oil under control I would hardly break out. 

I've tried Proactiv, astringents, Milk of Magnesia, oil controlling gels/creams...nothing works. I recently read about just washing your face with warm water twice a day and doing nothing else. I would like to try that...but I'm a little nervous. Maybe I will do that and use Jojoba oil at night for moisturization/wrinkle prevention? 

Please let me know what you guys think and if you have any advice. I'm desperate :(

You're not supposed to exfoliate everyday, just 2-3 times a week.

You wash your face too much which dries out the skin which makes it produce more oil. Just wash 1-2 times a day.

I have oily skin and acne prone skin too and I break out mostly on my chin too and I am currently using the acne.org regimen which is working great. I currently have an active pimple, besides that I'm clear.

Tbh, everything you're doing is too much for your skin, it's making it very dry and irritated.

Exning liked
MemberMember
(@liquidhazel)

Posted : 01/11/2016 8:02 pm

Thanks guys. I'm going to make a new post about a new technique I've been trying for the past month.

MemberMember
(@snarkygirl)

Posted : 04/13/2016 3:21 pm

Hi, I thought I'd throw in my advice. My skin is worse since being off birth control its too oily. I'm drinking 2 + cups of spearmint tea and also taking zinc. It takes a while to change but I know spearmint can decrease oil. Also, evening primrose oil is supposed to help.
I would try just using water and a washcloth...it didnt hurt my skin at all, in fact i do best when nly using a cleanser evey 5 days or so. I think scrubbing makes things worse. Mulk of magnesis seemsto help me, too bad it didnt seem to work for you. Maybe try another primer.